New approach for a SlingShot top...

• So as some of you already know I have been trying to get a Slingshot top designed and made that gave me and what I think others were looking for but not finding in the market.
    I delayed letting you guys see it for one simple reason (protecting the idea). As of late last week the provisional patent filling was all in place so I have a year to finalize the design, edit or add claims and get the patent ready for the next step.
    Let me start off by saying that at this time the top is not for sale and I'm am not a vendor. I simple have a desire to bring it to market if a lot of things work out and there is enough interest. This thread is simple to let you guys see it and give feedback if you like. The design approach was to make an inexpensive top that matched the lines of the Slingshot better and was easy to use.
    Here are a few details. Most of these are called out in the provisional patent
    (1) removable forward tilting canopy to allow easy entry and exit.
    (2) quick release system for both the canopy top and front support brackets.
    (3) light weight design (under 30 lbs total)
    (4) one person removal (no tools required)
    (5) interchangeable canopy cover options.
    This includes a mesh material or even a ridges cover if there is interest.
    (6) some height adjustment. Comfort set for 95% group (6'4" and under).

There are ideas for taller people but I have to be realistic and not promise a solution that fits this design. It will not be compromised to fit a smaller percentage of possible customers. I would rather focus on optimizing it at this time.

I'll post more details as we go along.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I have had the pleasure of seeing this top up close. I have to tell you this thing has a great look. The profile is low and sleek and gives the SS that high end convertible look. It is well built and well thought out. Easily flips forward for entry and exit. One person can remove it in minutes. I have driven behind it at respectable speeds and it is planted no movement at all. There are a lot of options for tops all very creative. But this thing just has an old school classy look.

Great Job RD
    My wife even likes it so I guess I will be in line behind Bill Martin. So when you fill out his check make it for 2

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Will the top color only be offered in black?
    Will it store onboard for a nice day?

custom colored tops have been discussed but would be at additional cost. These would be made to order and would not be part of the standard top pricing. Again the aim was to keep cost down.
    Colored mesh tops may be offered to start but would be very limited in color option.
    This would be for cost reasons.

At this time the top is not designed to be placed on the back of the SS. Additional brackets and parts increase the cost.
    Success of the top would determine accessories or future options. So really never say never but rather " not at this time".

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• I have had the pleasure of seeing this top up close. I have to tell you this thing has a great look. The profile is low and sleek and gives the SS that high end convertible look. It is well built and well thought out. Easily flips forward for entry and exit. One person can remove it in minutes. I have driven behind it at respectable speeds and it is planted no movement at all. There are a lot of options for tops all very creative. But this thing just has an old school classy look.

Great Job RD
    My wife even likes it so I guess I will be in line behind Bill Martin. So when you fill out his check make it for 2

@MACAWS thank you for the positive feedback and complements. I will tell you that the top has been tested at speed. This weekend really but it through some stress test for sure. At this time the prototype has seen over 1800miles of testing. I still have another final canopy design to get made. I still want to optimize the shape and look. This tops front edge (in front of the support arms) will be pulled back for increase visibility for taller drivers.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• the most important feature for me is honestly ,no top at all. I have designed the top so that with the front support arms removed (two 6mm bolts) the Slingshot is returned to the true open air roadster it was designed to be. I wanted my cake and eat it too.
    This picture shows the SS with the front arms removed and only the rear latching bracket in place.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Is there anything we can do to help you along ?

at this time getting a real idea of interest. Honest, yes I would buy something like this, interest.
    That in itself will be very, very valuable for the next steps I have to make. That and someone interested in doing some SolidWorks stuff on the cheap... :D

(Slingshot Owners Group)