2020 model question

• Hello, new to this site, and as I will be in the market for a sling this summer and have a question on the 2020 model year. I see a lot of new 2020's for sale and was wondering if one of the main reasons is due to the price point or is there other issues that many people are staying away from purchasing them?

I know that this is the model year with a new engine so not sure if it is a "wait and see" thing? Do to a physical issue, I will need to purchase a automatic model so I am limited on model year selections at this point..

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Is a automatic the only one available?

Always Remember...You can drive it like you want to drive it tomorrow! 8)

:HEADERSS::SUPERCHARGERSS::COILOVERSS::ROTORSS:

• Welcome to the forum. I am a new 2020 R Autodrive owner this year. Have a test drive at your dealer. My dealer had a mapped course I had to follow which took me down a side street then out to the high way for the return trip. They let me take it by myself after signing a few papers.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• The op stated he needed to get the auto due to physical issues. My new SS set at the dealers for just over 6 weeks. I bought it and drove it home Friday night and returned it Saturday morning when they opened at 9. It was shifting into neutral on it's own and I was nearly run over by a F350 that was tailgating me and it went into neutral. My dealer had me file a incidence report that went to Polaris and the DOT. It was known that around 7 others was having this problem but no fix. The report I guess forced action. My dealer is one of the dealers in the US that handles and investigates problems. The Shop manager worked with the main Polaris engineer almost daily and kept me informed daily. By hooking ta laptop to the SS and riding shotgun he could duplicatethe problem anytime he wanted to. Turned out Polaris had to rewrite software and that fixed it. But it more then just fixed the shifting to neutralon it's own I made the SS shift so much smoother when upshifting and down shifting. I like to feel like doing with out my SS may have saves someone from a bad accident. BTW the DOT held up the fix for at least one of those 6 weeks as the fix had to go to the DOT and some other agency for approval.

Now with the paddles you can have added to the 2020 you can some what shift manual you just don't have a clutch to pop. After all the Autodrive is a manual tranny shifted with a hydraulic actuator controlled by the computer.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• The op stated he needed to get the auto due to physical issues. My new SS set at the dealers for just over 6 weeks. I bought it and drove it home Friday night and returned it Saturday morning when they opened at 9. It was shifting into neutral on it's own and I was nearly run over by a F350 that was tailgating me and it went into neutral. My dealer had me file a incidence report that went to Polaris and the DOT. It was known that around 7 others was having this problem but no fix. The report I guess forced action. My dealer is one of the dealers in the US that handles and investigates problems. The Shop manager worked with the main Polaris engineer almost daily and kept me informed daily. By hooking ta laptop to the SS and riding shotgun he could duplicatethe problem anytime he wanted to. Turned out Polaris had to rewrite software and that fixed it. But it more then just fixed the shifting to neutralon it's own I made the SS shift so much smoother when upshifting and down shifting. I like to feel like doing with out my SS may have saves someone from a bad accident. BTW the DOT held up the fix for at least one of those 6 weeks as the fix had to go to the DOT and some other agency for approval.

Now with the paddles you can have added to the 2020 you can some what shift manual you just don't have a clutch to pop. After all the Autodrive is a manual tranny shifted with a hydraulic actuator controlled by the computer.

Don, Three life times ago I was a Jr High math teacher...never did learn how to read....

• I bought a 2020 R with the 5 speed manual transmission and ABSOLUTLEY LOVE IT! Its so fun and I have had no issues.:thumbsup: I bought it brand new from a dealer.

• According to my dealer, the 2020's are selling as fast as they can get them. Go for it and enjoy every minute! Add the paddle shifters and have the dealer flash the ECU with the 203 HP tune if you are looking at the SL or Touring models!!!!!!

:HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SILVERSS:My paint is fast, TURBO Silver!

• Depending on the features you desire and your budget, a 2021 model might be a better choice. The AutoDrive trans issues for the 2020 model can be fixed via a software update. If you find a good discount on a 2020 model model and it is the color you want and you like the infotainment system it has, go for it. The software upgrade should be free and you can add options such as the Paddle Shifters if you want them.

The 2021 models now include an entry-level-priced Slingshot S ($19,999) with the extra cost Performance Tune to make your engine as powerful as the R model (around $800), Auto Drive Trans ($1700, IIRC) and Paddle Shifters (either $400 or $800, can't remember which, install not included) for under $23.5K or so. This will give R model performance for $10,000 less than the R model. Of course, you'll still need an audio system, if you want one. You'll probably also want a windshield. Check with other Slingshot owners in your area to see/experience the wide variety of windshields available before choosing which windshield you want.

I started with a 2015 Base model Slingshot and then purchased/designed/made/installed my mods. If I had the money to start over again, I'd probably go with the 2021 S with AutoDrive, Paddle Shifters and the Performance Tune and then add my own audio system. If I found a good discount on a 2020 SL leftover, then I might even buy one with the stock audio system

Good Luck!

• The 2021 models saw the return of the least costly stripper S model ($19,999) with manual transmission (and no other options) and the same 178 HP motor that comes in the AutoDrive-equipped SL model that cost around $5.5K more. The S model also comes in an AutoDrive version. Both the S and SL models can be upgraded with the Performance Tune ($800, IIRC) which brings the power up to the 203 HP level offered on the R model (at a significantly savings) and you can then add whatever other mods, say a sound system, you want.

Edited 2 times, last by BKL ().

• They also make an S with the technology package which adds speakers and a backup camera. I recently purchased a 2021 R Manual. I did test drive the automatic with paddle shifters and shifting is amazingly better with the update. Also as stated above with the paddle shifters you can shift at your will if you like. In manual mode it will not shift to higher gears automatically but it will automatically downshift if you slow down