My DYNO Day at Alpha Powersport with my non-turbo modded Sling

• First let me say a huge THANKYOU to all the guys at @Turbosling (Henry, Andy, Troy) for their hospitality. These guys seriously enjoy what they do. I was amazed at the operation they have put together. Second to none in my opinion.

(RWHP) - Rear Wheel Horse Power

Today was not the ideal conditions to do the Dyno as in their shop it was 90F. Typical stock no mods make 149RWHP. With all my mods and the Alpha exhaust closed we made 165RWHP. With the exhaust opened up it made 177 RWHP. So we gained 28HP. Alpha thought there was more there if it was 60F. The above numbers take into account compensating numbers for their dyno as per Alpha.

My mods are below.

RRR- Rist Rocket Racing

RRR - Ported Air intake
    RRR - Throttle Body
    RRR - Intake manifold
    1320 header
    Alpha Variable Exhaust
    Bob's Tune

I definitely feel the difference. However it's no where near a turbo at 250RWHP. I went for a ride in their stage 2 Turbo. All I can say is I almost lost my sun glasses twice! I am for sure going this way this winter. The numbers above don't lie. I did everything outside of a CAM that one could to get natural horsepower. This is just my opinion. You want power?! Go Alpha Turbo! The extra horse power above is nice and I definitely notice lower end torque from stock. But if I had to do it all over again I honestly would save my money and save for a turbo. I don't have regrets because I enjoy wrenching on it and I do notice the gain. Plus either way it is fun to drive. Just not the Oh Shit! the turbo gives you as it pushed you back into your seat. I have no way of breaking down what does what, but notice above there was a big jump from the Alpha exhaust. If I were spending my money again I would go Alpha Intake, and Alpha exhaust if I had plans to do a turbo later. @RistRocketRacing do an amazing job in their parts. They themselves stated staying natural were not going to gain crazy horsepower. But its a nice bump with what I have. I hope this helps you in any way with your decision on mods. Sling ON!!

So there you have it. A tried and true numbers don't lie test with the mods. Pics and video below.

The Beast! More impressive in person.

My Pulls

• Awesome I passed you on my way out you were just getting there. I just finished doing a turbo myself. Ya the blue sling is an animal got the 8 lbs spring. Drove it also. You should try the black sling has a header and side exhaust and sounds so sweet.

• Ya a bit anyways but you put more stress on the motor and risk blowing it up. Henry said he would mail the 8 lbs spring to me if I want. But stressed you are running a risk. I'll prob just leave it alone. The difference is amazing. That was the first turbo car by alpha so you drove an icon there pretty special. Oh yeah and you just saw your first canadian slingshot.

Do you happen to have a copy of the dyno sheet you can post ...

I am less interested in peak numbers than I am the area under the curve where we actually live ....

For comparison @Chiefgosling gained 30hp with a full CAI, Exhaust, and Bob's tune ....

This is a (stolen) copy of his before and after dyno runs ....

As I understand it he later added the header and I believe the tune was tweaked for more of a bump ....

I am most curious how the "porting" effected the lower and mid range torque ....

Also lookin at your pics ... is your rear tire larger in diameter from stock .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited 2 times, last by Orangeman ().

• Great to finally see some numbers so really appreciate you posting these up. Also confirms what I am experiencing running the Alpha adjustable exhaust. Definitely pulls harder with it fully open and it definitely makes the ears ring but its fun. Last weekend on a 200 mile loop it was nice to have the option to close it down and have it quiet as stock for some of the ride home. Would definitely recommend the variable to anyone looking for something that goes from really loud to really tame and in between.

Don't have the tune yet and still on the fence as I have already spent enough on mods for this season. Just received my new QA1 shocks from Hahn today.

• Great to finally see some numbers so really appreciate you posting these up. Also confirms what I am experiencing running the Alpha adjustable exhaust. Definitely pulls harder with it fully open and it definitely makes the ears ring but its fun. Last weekend on a 200 mile loop it was nice to have the option to close it down and have it quiet as stock for some of the ride home. Would definitely recommend the variable to anyone looking for something that goes from really loud to really tame and in between.

Don't have the tune yet and still on the fence as I have already spent enough on mods for this season. Just received my new QA1 shocks from Hahn today.

Might as well jump off the fence, the tune is well worth it, anytime you can make your engine perform to its potential with optimum tuning. Ask any of the ones that had theirs done at Maggie Valley.

• Thanks for this information. Good write up. I have the same mods and this is about what I thought the numbers would be. :thumbup:

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• I was supposed to be there yesterday to get a couple things done, but damn, was too hot, figured it could wait for a cooler day. Would have been nice to meet. Nice numbers, always good to see the results and have numbers to back up the mods and expense.

• Your right it was dam hot. Don't forget about the downpour! Today already busy on other mods. Put in SlickSpeed horns. Wow! Way loud. They will hear me know. Add new 70mm halo rings around my Canadian lights and tied them into the blinkers. Installed new Alpha intake. New Pioner 5 1/4 speakers. More front end underneath LED as well. Prepped radio department for tomorrow's fun.

Sunday - putting in keyless entry and a viper secuirty system with proximity. Introducing one of those annoying talking modules. Come out before and people are hanging in my Sling! No more! The interesting one is I am putting in blind spot sensors with LED alerts. Just like ones on newer cars. These Slings have a real blind spot.

• That's the problem with all the NA mods. Its kinda tough to know exactly what you get with each one. What I like best about this thread is knowing what I have experienced with the variable exhaust and that is a noticeable improvement in performance between fully open and fully closed. I notice that even without a tune or any of the port and polish. What I think all of us NA owners have is a point of diminishing returns once you have what I think are the major's, intake, header and free flowing exhaust.

I just did not have the time this spring but wish I could have had a base run done at Alpha on mine before installing these three mods. Run another after the mods and then another after the tune. Then everyone would have at least some idea what is worth it to them based on their budget and goals. I will likely get the tune done next as I am confident there are benefits to be had but want to just run it and have fun with it this summer and then see where things take me for next seasons mods.