Slingshots in the Smokies 2017.May30th-Jun 4th.

• I hope we are not charging people to look at my Slingshot because I parked it at an event I paid to attend.

Technically, and ironically, your wife is getting charged to look at your sling at an event you paid to attend. The only thing better would be if you took her sling so she was paying to see her own sling at an event you paid to attend....

• funny @KayTwo, since you had to google it... Ill assume there arent any hermits at your house... :rolleyes:
    Yep, Ive always hated big crowds, and was the wallflower trying to not be seen.... still hate big crowds, especially when I have to PAY to be in one! :00000024::00000024::00000024:

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• funny @KayTwo, since you had to google it... Ill assume there arent any hermits at your house... :rolleyes:
    Yep, Ive always hated big crowds, and was the wallflower trying to not be seen.... still hate big crowds, especially when I have to PAY to be in one! :00000024::00000024::00000024:

No, I just wanted to see what Google would come up with! :00008356:

Actually, you wouldn't know it, but @sideseatdriver is more or less a hermit. We call it "aggressively antisocial in large crowds." :00008172:

• I gotta say that charging the locals to come in and look is unnecessary IMO. I can't speak for everybody attending but I believe all here are men and women of honor and would not try and get into the fairgrounds without being event registered. The money collected from walk ins could not possibly outweigh the goodwill free entry for the community would bring ....just food for thought.

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I understand everyone's fee concerns. I don't think we paid more this year over last year. I assume @ivor had to rent the fairground, which is added expense. He seems to have spent more time traveling and planning for this year's event. I understand the possible need for more funds.

I would think a $10 per day, per family is a sufficient amount. I would also think that family members (non-passanger) of registered attendees should be free. My 2 cents.

• Technically, and ironically, your wife is getting charged to look at your sling at an event you paid to attend. The only thing better would be if you took her sling so she was paying to see her own sling at an event you paid to attend....

Bet if I walk up to the vendors booth (who also paid a pretty premium) to have a LOOK around... they wouldnt charge me a "lookers fee".
    Bet if I was a Maggie Valley tourist, or resident... Id think twice about my own hospitality towards these roaring ripping squealing cycles if I had to pay to see them up close and personal...
    Bet if this event turns into the county fair, where hotdogs and soda is 20 bucks.... there wont be lines for the rides for long...

time to get off this thread.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• I gotta say that charging the locals to come in and look is unnecessary IMO. I can't speak for everybody attending but I believe all here are men and women of honor and would not try and get into the fairgrounds without being event registered. The money collected from walk ins could not possibly outweigh the goodwill free entry for the community would bring ....just food for thought.

Not sure honor has anything to do with it, @Bill Martin. Don't really see how being event registered has anything to do with foot traffic for people who aren't participating aside from visiting friends. Like, say, us.

Pillow talk here tonight in the last 10 minutes would indicate that this will likely be the only MV event we attend. Hope we see everyone we want to.

• My wife and I attended the event last year and had a great time. Pre-registered, money up front and hotel reservations. Same thing this year with the exception that the wife, due to work requirements, will not be able to join us for the full event. This year my daughter will be attending with me. My wife, if possible, may come up Saturday and then follow us out on Sunday. We will pay the required fee for her to walk around. We will see how this event plays out this year.

I hope we are not charging people to look at my Slingshot because I parked it at an event I paid to attend.

I really think it is wrong to require people to pay to walk around the fair grounds to see what is going on. Am I going to get paid for parking my slingshot in the event area and becoming part of the show that others who are walking have to pay to see? First, our forum was told we could not sell our t-shirts because it would be in competition with the organizer's forum. Now we are being told others have to pay to have access to the vendors and look at other slings. I am currently paid up for this event for myself, wife, and son with 2 slings. If the desire for this organizer is to prioritize making money over creating an environment for the Slingshot community, this will be my last trip to Maggie Valley. I left another forum who placed the almighty dollar over the community, I will do the same for events hosted by this organizer in the future. Why charge for walk ins? Don't the vendors have to pay to set up? If they pay to set up, then why does someone have to pay to spend money with them?
    @ivor why is it the right thing to charge for people to walk around and look at the Slingshots?

@Bill Martin , I agree 100%, I have never gone to a car or bike show or event where none participants have to pay to roam around and look and ask questions. We are the Ambassadors of the Slingshot Community and as such should be getting more and more people interested in the Slingshot with the same passion we have. If you have a family of 4, mother, father and couple of kids (which I for one love showing off the SS too) having to pay up to $40 just to come in and look around, wouldn't surprise me if we weren't invited back next year and I could not blame them. Just my 2-cents and opinion.

Life is simple ... you're either "Qualified or you're Not'

• I understand everyone's fee concerns. I don't think we paid more this year over last year. I assume @ivor had to rent the fairground, which is added expense. He seems to have spent more time traveling and planning for this year's event. I understand the possible need for more funds.

I would think a $10 per day, per family is a sufficient amount. I would also think that family members (non-passanger) of registered attendees should be free. My 2 cents.

Nice thought, but it's $30 per day for a family of four.

• I really think it is wrong to require people to pay to walk around the fair grounds to see what is going on. Am I going to get paid for parking my slingshot in the event area and becoming part of the show that others who are walking have to pay to see? First, our forum was told we could not sell our t-shirts because it would be in competition with the organizer's forum. Now we are being told others have to pay to have access to the vendors and look at other slings. I am currently paid up for this event for myself, wife, and son with 2 slings. If the desire for this organizer is to prioritize making money over creating an environment for the Slingshot community, this will be my last trip to Maggie Valley. I left another forum who placed the almighty dollar over the community, I will do the same for events hosted by this organizer in the future. Why charge for walk ins? Don't the vendors have to pay to set up? If they pay to set up, then why does someone have to pay to spend money with them?@ivor why is it the right thing to charge for people to walk around and look at the Slingshots?

@Slingrazor , I agree, My wife and I are all paid up but this is getting to be more about profit for the organizer then a community gathering. If cost went up that much @ivor could have passed them on to the community and I'm sure we all would have spent a little more on entry fees. Like you, I have left groups and organizations due to it becoming too commercial. I tell everybody that this is not a group or a club but a family where we actually care and enjoy each other's company, but maybe I was wrong.

• Not sure honor has anything to do with it, @Bill Martin. Don't really see how being event registered has anything to do with foot traffic for people who aren't participating aside from visiting friends. Like, say, us.
    Pillow talk here tonight in the last 10 minutes would indicate that this will likely be the only MV event we attend. Hope we see everyone we want to.

I have heard in passing.....some have gotten quite upset at last years event and have stated they would not pay the event fee and not go on any rides. I believe if you are going in a Sling the honorable thing to do is pay the fee or at least a one day fee if you can't make the whole event. The whole purpose of this event is the fellowship of the attendees and making them happy so they want to return. Adversely if they start to feel gouged - that would be the beginning of the end for a lot of us. Just my opinion for whatever it's worth.

• I tell everybody that this is not a group or a club but a family where we actually care and enjoy each other's company, but maybe I was wrong.

I don't think you're wrong, man. In any organization you look at (even the SS (submarine OR Slingshot, lol) community!) you're gonna find a wide range of philosophies and attitudes. No different here.

• Nice thought, but it's $30 per day for a family of four.

NO WAY WOULD I PAY TO BE A SPECTATOR! As far as next year we may just need to schedule 1 weekend (3 or 4 days) each month and see who shows up and far enough ahead for the folks to make arrangements to be there. We also need to work on this for the rest of this year.

• This could be the beginning of the end of SSITS sponsored event. I wonder now if this is why Slingshots in the Adirondacks was actually cancelled.

I love riding my SS and meeting new owners and old friends and don't mind traveling as do many, many others here, so I don't need a sponsored event to meet up and ride with family.

We just had one in Clarksville, no vendors, no entry fee and 20 SS showed up and had an awesome time. It sounds to me that certain people are turning this into a business to support their lifestyle.

• Varying views and folks seeing both sides of the fence...

My plans for this years event are unchanged. We will go and enjoy what the vendors have to offer, the local vista and cuisine, seeing and riding with all. And like all outings, will base any future plans for this event on the outcome of this one.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I really think it is wrong to require people to pay to walk around the fair grounds to see what is going on. Am I going to get paid for parking my slingshot in the event area and becoming part of the show that others who are walking have to pay to see? First, our forum was told we could not sell our t-shirts because it would be in competition with the organizer's forum. Now we are being told others have to pay to have access to the vendors and look at other slings. I am currently paid up for this event for myself, wife, and son with 2 slings. If the desire for this organizer is to prioritize making money over creating an environment for the Slingshot community, this will be my last trip to Maggie Valley. I left another forum who placed the almighty dollar over the community, I will do the same for events hosted by this organizer in the future. Why charge for walk ins? Don't the vendors have to pay to set up? If they pay to set up, then why does someone have to pay to spend money with them?@ivor why is it the right thing to charge for people to walk around and look at the Slingshots?

Well said!

• All that attended last year knows that there were some issues. The folks that attend these events have ample disposable income. They do not mind spending the money as long as it is fun - when it becomes an aggravation those dollars fly away never to return. Only time will tell !!!