Aftermarket Shocks

• Thanks for tagging me SlingLow. Bill, I'm heavy (260 something) and the 350lb spring was rough. When Caryn rode with me it was better but still a stiff ride in back. The 300 is a much better ride. Try the 300lb spring. If it's too soft for your taste we can meet up and I'll give you my 350. It's red.

• Thanks for tagging me SlingLow. Bill, I'm heavy (260 something) and the 350lb spring was rough. When Caryn rode with me it was better but still a stiff ride in back. The 300 is a much better ride. Try the 300lb spring. If it's too soft for your taste we can meet up and I'll give you my 350. It's red.

G'mornin' big fella. Still retired? I'm still waiting for Sara to get her little project started. Plus she picked up a new one. She bought 3 oak flat files and wants to convert one into a coffee table. Of course she wants it a different size too. I'll bring the refreshments!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• G'mornin' big fella. Still retired? I'm still waiting for Sara to get her little project started. Plus she picked up a new one. She bought 3 oak flat files and wants to convert one into a coffee table. Of course she wants it a different size too. I'll bring the refreshments!

Yup! Just finished my last project yesterday so I'm ready to start on Sara's. The 18th is the only day the shop will be unavailable. Mrs Claus has a group wrapping party planned.

• And another WOW, Chris at Demons Speed Shop just wrote back out of the blue offering "We also can change the spring rate if needed." In that case I am thinking keeping the 250 on the front and going 300 on the rear?

I just talked with Justina and it looks like these are going to be our New Years present!

Bill

• Hey wjfyfe

some time back I started a thread to ask about spring rates - the JRI GT's I have are 185 in the front and 350 in the rear I was curious to know how that compared with others - here is a link to the thread and a reply by dave at DdmWorks

spring rates

and this is a quote from Dave's post

"Basically though, what we have found is 225-275 for the front and around 300-325 for the back seems to give a pretty good ride and also decent turn-in response. Those spring rates could definitely be customized depending on tires and vehicle weight,"

and the DDM 3-ways if I am not mistaken are 225 front and 300 rear

so much fun :00008674:

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Yes indeed, I already was referencing your thread in my research, thanks bunches!

Bill

• Yes indeed, I already was referencing your thread in my research, thanks bunches!

Bill

Nice :thumbsup:

Anyway please let us know how you decide to go with this I will be very interested to hear your experiences.

As I am sure you have discovered by now there are many variables involved in this, spring rates only being one part - - - adding what you discover I am sure will be helpful to those who come after you to this cross roads :)

• In regard to questions about the QA1 shocks, I just installed a set of Ultra Rides last night. I ordered all the parts from Summit Racing, for just under $700. I thought I would give a rundown of the details, because the install is not typical.

The Ultra Rides come with rubber bushings, and steel sleeves (.5" or .625" ID) that press into these bushings. The Slingshot use 10mm (.3937") bolts, so right off the bat there is a problem. The top mount on the chassis is 30mm (roughly 1.181"), and the bottom mount on the lower wishbone is 35mm (roughly 1.377"). The bushings and sleeves that come with the shocks are 1.25" wide. I had to machine my own sleeves to press into the bushings, and reduce the width of the upper rubber bushing down to 1.200" (actual with of the chassis mount). I machined straight sleeves for the top mount, and flanged sleeves for the lower mount to increase the width of the lower rubber bushing. I may swap the rubber bushings for the QA1 steel bearings, for which I would also have to make adapters again if I did so. I am leaning in this direction. If you watch the Hahn Racecraft install video of the QA1 shocks he sells (steel bearings), he keeps pointing out "the small bushings on top and large bushings on the bottom".

In regard to spring rates, it's all math (and maybe a little voodoo). The equations for figuring out the 'suspension frequency' of any vehicle can be found online. Figuring out a basic spring rate range is easy, but then it matters how far you want to take it. Wishbone length, shock mounting point on the wishbone, shock angle, etc.. No real reason to figure all this out, because we already have ballpark figures for the Slingshot (185-250 front, and 300-350 rear). Going outside of these spring rates is going to affect the basic 'frequency' of the suspension too much. I chose 250 front, and 300 rear, and I will adjust my shock accordingly.

Luckily, I am a machinist and can make my own bushings, etc.. However, to be fair, I would not recommend going this route, because having bushings made would be expensive. I took the challenge, 'cause I like to do things myself.

• thanks for the information - - and also welcome to the forum :00008698:

• In regard to questions about the QA1 shocks,...............................

Yep, thanks for the info, with my research on the various forums, and emailing back and forth with Chris at Demons Speed Shop, presently I am planning on ordering 250 springs for the front, and a 325 spring for the rear. I am hoping that since this shock kit is designed for the SlingShot, that the bushings would be the correct size, but I will now ask to confirm.

Bill

• every manufacture seems to do it differently - here is a snap of my JRI's looks to be in between the QA1's and the DDMs also looks to be shorter than the QA1's

i-zjZKBgf-X2.jpg

• I ultimately took a leap in faith to purchased these:

Offer: QA1 Triple adjustable coil over shocks Item done

I'm selling my QA1
    They have the Compression and Rebound plus spring height adjustment. I have Red Eiback springs 250# spring on fronts 350# spring on rear. I also have the coil over bearings on the springs. I just replaced the poly bushings with new…
    $600

I should know by New Years if I made a wise decision or not! =O

Bill

• I had thought about those as a replacement for my single adjustable Bilsteins, but I seem to remember someone said they upgraded their Bilsteins from single to double, maybe even triple at relatively low cost when they had Bilstein rebuild them, so I decided to wait and see.

Edited once, last by BKL ().