What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• I've got the Zarate lights in the center on mine. Looks like it blends in a little better. I actually have them wired in with the high beam so that they only come on then.

Not turned on in this pic, and this pic was from replacing the stock head lights and LEDs with the "Slingatti" style headlights from SM, but you can see them on the bottom.

• Well, I guess its more of a non-mod than a mod, but after a week of running without the front fenders I have come to two conclusions. The first is that I like it without the parachutes I like the way it looks and the airflow just seems smoother. The second conclusion is that I don't think I am going to bother installing any trim strips to cover up the stock mounting holes. I actually dont think it looks bad with the exposed holes and more importantly I like the idea of the holes acting as a vent right next to the stock muffler - God knows these things can retain heat so having this extra ventilation has to be good thing. So anyway - this is todays non-mod, no cover strips needed or at this time wanted. - I like it just as it is :thumbsup:

I really like the clean look with them removed and have considered doing the same thing. It rains so much here this time of the year so I can be the canary in the coal mine.

• Reading posts concerning adding more/better lights to the Slingshot to see better at night, the real problem with night vision in the Slingshot is sitting so low to the ground. This is especially true if the road markings are less then great. The closer a person is to the road the less light is being directed to their line of sight, especially true when the line of sight is almost inline with and behind the lighting source. It is virtually impossible to overcome this without dangerously blinding oncoming vehicles. This is why I have learned to hate driving the Slingshot at night, about as bad as driving it in the rain.

• Well, I guess its more of a non-mod than a mod, but after a week of running without the front fenders I have come to two conclusions. The first is that I like it without the parachutes I like the way it looks and the airflow just seems smoother. The second conclusion is that I don't think I am going to bother installing any trim strips to cover up the stock mounting holes. I actually dont think it looks bad with the exposed holes and more importantly I like the idea of the holes acting as a vent right next to the stock muffler - God knows these things can retain heat so having this extra ventilation has to be good thing. So anyway - this is todays non-mod, no cover strips needed or at this time wanted. - I like it just as it is :thumbsup:

Is there any improvement in gas milage? Does it help reduce the upper fenders flapping at speed?

• Is there any improvement in gas milage? Does it help reduce the upper fenders flapping at speed?

haven't driven enough to really answer any milage questions - haven't even given it any thought to be honest. and I have never really had a problem with flapping at speed and haven't really noticed any flapping now

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• MY biggest complaint about the Slingshot's headlights is due, as others have posted, to the relatively low positioning of the headlights above the road surface that tends to place less light down the road with lots of light wasted on the road surface immediately in front of the Slingshot. I also attribute part of the problem to the relatively small diameter of the stock headlight units as I have found that larger diameter light sources tend to produce a better beam pattern and often also produce more light down the road.

Back in 2020, I started trying to develop a method of mounting 90mm Hella High & Low Beam headlights in place of the Stock 2015 and Canadian headlights on my 2015 Slingshot, but haven't really done much for a while now primarily due to an overall lack of motivation to get anything done.

After seeing the Round motorcycle headlight harleyujoe used on one of the different bodies he has made for his Slingshot, I may try mounting some &7" round motorcycle headlights in place of the outer headlights I now have. He mentioned he felt the round headlights gave a bug-eye look, but I like the look. I think it will be a little easier to fab a simple mount from aluminum stock that fabbing the mounting plate for the Hella individual High and Low beam units.

If I ever do get motivated enough:/ to get anything done, I'll post about what I've tried.

Another approach would be to try and find some commercial headlight mounts that perform well and that are suited for mounting in place of the outer headlight assemblies. They would need to be a good match to the angle of the stock headlight mounting. The best candidate headlights would also be designed to provide lots of light with a similar mounting height to the Slingshot. Probably wouldn't be cheap, but that may offer the best solution if such units could be identified since the original manufacturer probably spent significantly more in developing the headlights that Polaris.

• MY biggest complaint about the Slingshot's headlights is due, as others have posted, to the relatively low positioning of the headlights above the road surface that tends to place less light down the road with lots of light wasted on the road surface immediately in front of the Slingshot. I also attribute part of the problem to the relatively small diameter of the stock headlight units as I have found that larger diameter light sources tend to produce a better beam pattern and often also produce more light down the road.

Back in 2020, I started trying to develop a method of mounting 90mm Hella High & Low Beam headlights in place of the Stock 2015 and Canadian headlights on my 2015 Slingshot, but haven't really done much for a while now primarily due to an overall lack of motivation to get anything done.

After seeing the Round motorcycle headlight harleyujoe used on one of the different bodies he has made for his Slingshot, I may try mounting some &7" round motorcycle headlights in place of the outer headlights I now have. He mentioned he felt the round headlights gave a bug-eye look, but I like the look. I think it will be a little easier to fab a simple mount from aluminum stock that fabbing the mounting plate for the Hella individual High and Low beam units.

If I ever do get motivated enough:/ to get anything done, I'll post about what I've tried.

Another approach would be to try and find some commercial headlight mounts that perform well and that are suited for mounting in place of the outer headlight assemblies. They would need to be a good match to the angle of the stock headlight mounting. The best candidate headlights would also be designed to provide lots of light with a similar mounting height to the Slingshot. Probably wouldn't be cheap, but that may offer the best solution if such units could be identified since the original manufacturer probably spent significantly more in developing the headlights that Polaris.

One thing to keep in mind is whatever your States laws are regarding vehicle lighting. California is is very strict about making any kind fo changes to the legally required stock lighting, but I do know other States don't seem to care as much.

Another thing I would keep in mind (which is why the American slingshots came the way they did) is that in the U.S. motorcycles are legally required to have the center headlight - this is why Canadians had different lights than U.S. slingshots - the outer lights on the U.S. slingshots are only supposed to be corner markers with the primary lights in the center - Canada clearly allows the Slingshot to be like a car with the high and low beams out at the sides and no light in the center - - and also keep in mind that even if your State has classified the Slingshot as an "autocycle" under the law an Autocycle is still considered a type of motorcycle because of its federal classification and requires the center light as the primary light.

Edit - as a side note its almost funny because as strict as California is there are no legally required inspections of motorcycles (yet) as such you would really have to piss off some highway patrol before you would probabally ever get in trouble for light changes, but if you are in a state that has safety inspections this is another thing to consider before making any changes they would not pass

• One thing to keep in mind is whatever your States laws are regarding vehicle lighting. California is is very strict about making any kind fo changes to the legally required stock lighting, but I do know other States don't seem to care as much.

Another thing I would keep in mind (which is why the American slingshots came the way they did) is that in the U.S. motorcycles are legally required to have the center headlight - this is why Canadians had different lights than U.S. slingshots - the outer lights on the U.S. slingshots are only supposed to be corner markers with the primary lights in the center - Canada clearly allows the Slingshot to be like a car with the high and low beams out at the sides and no light in the center - - and also keep in mind that even if your State has classified the Slingshot as an "autocycle" under the law an Autocycle is still considered a type of motorcycle because of its federal classification and requires the center light as the primary light.

Edit - as a side note its almost funny because as strict as California is there are no legally required inspections of motorcycles (yet) as such you would really have to piss off some highway patrol before you would probabally ever get in trouble for light changes, but if you are in a state that has safety inspections this is another thing to consider before making any changes they would not pass

No matter what approach I take, I intend to keep the center headlights. IF I end up going with the 90mm Hella units, I'll have both a Low and a High beam on both sides with a maximum of 4 High or Low beams on at any given time instead of the 6 beams I currently have with the stock headlights and Canadian units.

• You wouldn't even need to piss off a trooper just be evolved in a wreck where the other party claims it was because of your non standard lighting.

"His lights blinded me officer"

yep - that would not be good especially if they then founded added lights =O

fortunately for me I almost never drive my Slingshot at night and on the few occasions when I have I always found the factory lights to be satisfactory

• It's relatively simple to properly aim/align the Slingshot headlights so the low beams will not blind oncoming drivers, although properly aimed/aligned headlights do tend to throw the light from the headlights down low. High beams on any vehicle will bother oncoming drivers.

• Has anyone tried mounting led light pods inside of the roll hoops to aim towards the ground in front of the ss as to not blind oncoming drivers? I'm wondering if having them up there would provide enough of an angle to throw the beam down on the road in front better.

• Did not get traction in it's own thread, I'm reposting here incase anyone else wants to try this:

BOSS BRRC14 install

In hindsight I probably would have purchased a bluetooth marine amp along with speakers instead of going with this soundbar.

I first wanted to install it to the back section of the Gull wing roof, but the mounting brackets were too wide.

So when looking to install it to the front the brackets (along with the rubber spacers) was too thick to fit under the plexiglass, so I ended up getting the brackets from Axis Alloys to install a 2nd bar. The brackets were about $100 for the whole kit & kaboodle. Add to that 12 gauge wire to extend the reach of the cable so I can keep it as out of sight as possible, ferrite beads to quell the electrical buzz, the 2nd pipe was $15 and a few other things.

This type of soundbar requires 15 amps for power and my 2nd fuse box maxed out at 10. It also requires a switched power source, which I wired into my secondary fuse box.

I mounted the included remote to the radio cubby, in hindsight I would have primered the hell out of it as you can see the wood (plywood) if you look closely.

The unit was $299. In total I have a bit under $400 for the full install. Took me a few weeks as I would do some work, find a problem, buy parts, do more work find another problem rinse and repeat.

I've yet to drive with it, so I'm not sure how much visibility will be affected. I'm fairly confident I'll be able to hear it.

...also did the floorboard septic hose vent mod.