What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• Follow up question perhaps for Dave@DDMWorks . WHY are the SS brakes spongy? Would Stainless braided lines help? Or is it baked in given the components?

The Slingshot already has stainless steel brake lines. There are a couple reasons that we typically see a spongy pedal on the Slingshots. Bleeding the brake system is one of those things that should be done by everybody, even when the Slingshot is brand new. When we install brake pads and bleed Slingshots here, they almost always have air in the lines at 1 or more calipers. That air can compress, unlike brake fluid, which will give a spongy pedal. The bracket that the brake master mounts to also flexes a pretty good amount, just pop the hood and have someone press on the brake firmly and you can watch the master cylinder move forward and up, that extra motion makes the pedal feel spongy also. The stock brake pads have an operating range above the normal driving of most owners also, which means when the stock brake pads are cold they do not have a lot of "bite". That means you have to push the pedal harder to generate the required "bite". So, replacing the brake pads with something that has good initial bite at low temps, installing the brake master cylinder brace and a good bleed on the system really help to make the brakes feel much better.

• The Slingshot already has stainless steel brake lines. There are a couple reasons that we typically see a spongy pedal on the Slingshots. Bleeding the brake system is one of those things that should be done by everybody, even when the Slingshot is brand new. When we install brake pads and bleed Slingshots here, they almost always have air in the lines at 1 or more calipers. That air can compress, unlike brake fluid, which will give a spongy pedal. The bracket that the brake master mounts to also flexes a pretty good amount, just pop the hood and have someone press on the brake firmly and you can watch the master cylinder move forward and up, that extra motion makes the pedal feel spongy also. The stock brake pads have an operating range above the normal driving of most owners also, which means when the stock brake pads are cold they do not have a lot of "bite". That means you have to push the pedal harder to generate the required "bite". So, replacing the brake pads with something that has good initial bite at low temps, installing the brake master cylinder brace and a good bleed on the system really help to make the brakes feel much better.

And then there is ME!

The exception to all rules and cures

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• The Slingshot already has stainless steel brake lines. There are a couple reasons that we typically see a spongy pedal on the Slingshots. Bleeding the brake system is one of those things that should be done by everybody, even when the Slingshot is brand new. When we install brake pads and bleed Slingshots here, they almost always have air in the lines at 1 or more calipers. That air can compress, unlike brake fluid, which will give a spongy pedal. The bracket that the brake master mounts to also flexes a pretty good amount, just pop the hood and have someone press on the brake firmly and you can watch the master cylinder move forward and up, that extra motion makes the pedal feel spongy also. The stock brake pads have an operating range above the normal driving of most owners also, which means when the stock brake pads are cold they do not have a lot of "bite". That means you have to push the pedal harder to generate the required "bite". So, replacing the brake pads with something that has good initial bite at low temps, installing the brake master cylinder brace and a good bleed on the system really help to make the brakes feel much better.

I see that Dave has heard about FunCycle lol

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• DDM Works Master Cylinder Brace update

Okay, spent my first day doing my daily commute with the new master cylinder brace and I am very pleased - no more mushy brakes and no more inconsistency - No it didn't suddenly make the brakes bite like a race car, but it did get rid of the feeling like there was a big spring that would mush down when I pressed the pedal and it did remove the inconsistent feel that made it hard to trust

I can honestly say I like the feel of the brakes much better now and I my confidence & comfort level is much higher

I don't need race car brakes and I don't really need some super bite - - all I want and need is something that I know will work and will work the same way each and every time - - I honestly feel that the DDM Brace has finally given me this

I wish I had done this way back in the beginning - - $$ well spent - - - - thank you Dave@DDMWorks

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Looks like im getting one of these. Thanks

• Is this needed on the 2020 and 2021? I don't go fast enough to need brakes I just drag my foot to stop so hadn't noticed a problem.

I dont know if polaris has made any changes to the 2020 or 2021 years that would have addressed the issue of master cylinder movement, but looking on slingmods they do say that the brace fits all years including 2020 and 2021

I think Dave@DDMWorks would be able to answer this question

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• I dont know if polaris has made any changes to the 2020 or 2021 years that would have addressed the issue of master cylinder movement, but looking on slingmods they do say that the brace fits all years including 2020 and 2021

I think Dave@DDMWorks would be able to answer this question

If im honest, it is completely unacceptable after like MY 2016 for the brakes to STILL not perform normally as they should on a vehicle thst costs more than $20,000. I understand to a certsin extend thst there can be issues with 2015 and 2016 models because of first years and theres bugs + issues as usual but no wsy this should of still been happening after 2016 tops. Yet here we are with MYs up to 2019 with the same exact brake issue on a vehicle that should STOP like a champ even more taking into account its weight. Just nonsense lack of quality control and lack of respect for the customer.

• Since the brakes work minimally, there never would've been a recall. From Polaris' perspective, the brakes already perform within acceptable braking norms.

And what does this tells us? That polaris gives no shits about quality control or developing a solid vehicle. If they would of been serious about this something as simple as this would of never happened. The slingshot has the worse braking ive seen in any modern car I have driven, just totally unacceptable. This is one of the reasons most likely thst many people passed on buying one or sold theirs. I really really hope the 2020+ owners are not dealing with this crap.

• I am going to set up my video camera tomorrow and push hard on the brake and see if I have the problem. I really don't feel a problem I don't think.

If you havent noticed then your bike is most likely fine. Trust me you WOULD notice it inmediately. To the point where its hard to even feel safe braking the bike at coming from high speeds.

• keep in mind that this is not power assist like virtually every car or truck no matter what as a fully manual system it isn't going to feel the same - - Now after my second day I will say that the brace really does make a difference - I am very pleased and at the price I wish I had done it a long time ago

• One of the first things the salesman told me when I was about to drive a new 2020 R on a demo drive solo was, these are not power brakes have you ever driven a vehicle with out them. Yep drove many of them.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• And what does this tells us? That polaris gives no shits about quality control or developing a solid vehicle. If they would of been serious about this something as simple as this would of never happened. The slingshot has the worse braking ive seen in any modern car I have driven, just totally unacceptable. This is one of the reasons most likely thst many people passed on buying one or sold theirs. I really really hope the 2020+ owners are not dealing with this crap.

Believe me, I sympathize with you. IMO, Polaris has long been controlled by the bean-counters, not the enthusiasts. That inevitably means their stuff meets minimum acceptable standards, not enthusiast standards.