Removing Factory shift knob.

• Anyone have issues getting the allen screw out of the factory shift knob? I couldn't get it to budge, so applied a pry bar to the wrench which resulted in the first pic below. In the second pick it looks like there is something on the threads. Green Loctite? I guess I could try some penetrating oil. I would try a ball-end allen on a ratchet but if it sheared a regular wrench I'm sure it would shear a ball- end off. (And yes, I'm turning it counter-clockwise :rolleyes: )

• I had a rough time getting mine off also -- I used a heavy allen wrench with a long pry bar -- put steady pressure on it for a bit then rapped the pry bar with a rubber mallet, that finally broke it loose -- that green stuff is industrial locktite and it does work -- good luck

• I would use a little heat on it . Just don't melt the rubber boot. Also might help to use a straight Allen socket ( not ball end) . Hope this helps :)

• I would use a little heat on it . Just don't melt the rubber boot. Also might help to use a straight Allen socket ( not ball end) . Hope this helps :)

I can't get a straight end in there. Even with the shifter pushed all the way to the right, the angle is not great enough to allow any long allen to clear the console. Any solution has too be short enough to fit inside the well around the shifter. Going to pickup a set of metric hex sockets and give that a try. Will try heating it too. I have a small heat gun designed for pin-point heating (for electronics work).

Use a soldering iron to heat up the set screw and soften the locking compound .. it will come out easily....

Make sure to apply some new locking compound when you reinstall ....

.... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• The best thing would get a new short shifter kit from DDM. And replace all that garbage and have a nice tight shifter with less throw. You can then get a screw on knob that work so much better. I’ve replaced may of these for guys. It’s very easy to do. Pm if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• The best thing would get a new short shifter kit from DDM. And replace all that garbage and have a nice tight shifter with less throw. You can then get a screw on knob that work so much better. I’ve replaced may of these for guys. It’s very easy to do. Pm if you have any questions.

That's what I'm trying to do. Install the DDMworks short throw shifter. The issue is that I can't get the stock knob off because I can't break the 5mm hex set screw free.

• Ok I didn’t catch that. I would do as Orangeman said with solder iron on set screw. If all fails a dremel cutoff might fit in there. Your replacing that piece anyway. Just don’t melt the rubber boot.

• Ok I didn’t catch that. I would do as Orangeman said with solder iron on set screw. If all fails a dremel cutoff might fit in there. Your replacing that piece anyway. Just don’t melt the rubber boot.

I may just pull the entire assembly out of the transmission in one piece so I can work on it in a vice on the bench. Half the issue is not being able to get at the set screw with a hex key socket and ratchet due to clearance at the console. I want use my same knob (the Sparco that comes on the 2019 SLR) so I have to get that set screw out one way or another.

• As long as you will have a way to hold it while your trying to unscrew it. I really like the weighted knobs for the short shifter. I am not sure if yours is, it makes for a smoother shift. When you pop the white plastic piece off be careful so you don’t let the mini balls fall out, they are in grease but I had a friend lose a couple from his.

• Ding! Ding! DIng! We have a winner! A couple of minutes with my solder gun applied to the set screw and it finally broke free. Thanks for the tip!