To Boost - or not to Boost

• I don't why that has to do with anything (@ 67 yrs young I've have alittle experience)

But if you must know here goes:

Graduated @ a community College in a 2 yr automotive mechanics program/have all of my ASE Certs.

My father owned a Dragstrip and a Speed Shop and I've worked for Big Daddy Don Garlits in my earlier years- hope that really helps you!

I just want to know what you did when you were resting. My thought is if I can't afford the 93 high test I better stay home. I have had some lesser octane in the tank but only when nothing else was to be had.

• I don't get on my Sling hard enough to need 93 but buy it anyway. They had a thing on the news about these people, forgot what they caller them, that drive to get the best mileage. I been doing this from the late 60s. Put a vacuum gage on my truck and drove so the needle stayed in the top third of the gage.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• I respect Dave's answer- but any boosted vehicle I run (my 86 Grand National, 05 Gto) 93 octane-why take the chance?

my sling with Dave's supercharger @ 9 psi I wouldn't even consider 91 octane- just my opinion and cheap insurance!

Definitely if you have a choice to run 93 octane, it is cheap insurance and is what I run in ours since 93 octane is readily available here in South Carolina, in fact 91 is hard to find, go figure. Since we ship the kits all over the country and even internationally, we had to have a tune that would work everywhere and is the reason that they are tuned for 91 octane. Like Edward Neal said, places like California, the best you can get is 91 octane. Just know that if you ever get in a pinch and stuck somewhere with only 91 octane, you will be good :thumbup:

• IMHO, anyone who hasn't added boost are just tossing away good money to use 93 octane fuel. The stock compression, stock tune at ANY elevations is NOT going to detonate to cause engine damage UNLESS you have major mechanical issues. Such as severely over heating engine, an extremely lean running engine (major vacuum leak) and sever a load for more than that slight instance. 93 octane gets you no better performance than 87 (I know, the Slingshot REQUIRES more than 87) to a stock equippted, stock tuned vehicle under almost all conditions. Like FunCycle says, he (I do too) carries a couple cans of octane booster in the remote chances that I need fuel and the only place open doesn't have what I need.

I'm sure with the vast knowledge Dave has on tuning ALL performance engines over his career, he could also explain why 91 octane at sea level is fine for a boosted engine, but the higher elevations you ride in which nets you lower boost levels the same could be obtained on lesser grade of fuel.

Please note:

The above is my own personal views and is NOT being made to have ANYONE follow my advice to the detriment of their engine and disavow the liability for any such information being followed or resulting costs associated with following said advice

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I am not boosted. I run 93 octane in everything, over the years I have found that there is better performance and better gas mileage with the 93 octane. Back in the day with my Firebird Formula 350 there was a difference (INCREASE) of 30 to 40 mpg per tank with the 93 octane. As to latest while Brenda was in the hospital in Charleston 120 mile round trip, I could not belief the difference between 87 and the 93 octane in the Equinox

• When I bought my 2020 R I asked the dealer what to use when I drove it off the floor. He said they fill them with 87. I might get a 100 feet above sea level now and then. Never put my foot into it. Maybe while gas is so high I should use 87.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• So the question I have for you techie guys is, 'Does octane boost give you the same octane as premium for a lower cost or is it just for use when you simply can't find higher octane fuel?

I always buy premium (91 here in Washington) for the Sling, some of my hot rods, and all my small engines (lawn mower, quads, pressure washer, generators, etc). I mow a lot of grass and burn a lot of fuel through the summer. I'm wondering if I would see any difference in performance on the small engines if I burn midgrade or regular fuel. What say you FunCycle , Funinthesun , Dave@DDMWorks , Turbobuick , @AnyOtherSmartGuys? JoeFlation is killin' me like everyone else.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• After I installed my super charger I have used premium gasoline...I will...I dont care about the price...you ride it...and I Love it!!!

Always Remember...You can drive it like you want to drive it tomorrow! 8)

:HEADERSS::SUPERCHARGERSS::COILOVERSS::ROTORSS:

• So the question I have for you techie guys is, 'Does octane boost give you the same octane as premium for a lower cost or is it just for use when you simply can't find higher octane fuel?

I always buy premium (91 here in Washington) for the Sling, some of my hot rods, and all my small engines (lawn mower, quads, pressure washer, generators, etc). I mow a lot of grass and burn a lot of fuel through the summer. I'm wondering if I would see any difference in performance on the small engines if I burn midgrade or regular fuel. What say you FunCycle , Funinthesun , Dave@DDMWorks , Turbobuick , @AnyOtherSmartGuys? JoeFlation is killin' me like everyone else.

Where you have a computer controlled injection with all of the sensors, IMHO you will get better performance and mileage. Back in the day with my 67 Corvette I could tell the difference even though it had a carb. Also back during that time I could also see/feel the difference in the brands of gasoline. I kept track of a lot of things back then, now I just run 93 and do not worry about it.

• I love it when people say there is no difference in 87 and 93 octane and they believe everything the government is telling them about ethonol

Government always has an agenda, and that agenda is never what's best for us

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I love it when people say there is no difference in 87 and 93 octane and they believe everything the government is telling them about ethonol

One thing I've learned from the guvmint is that everything in California causes cancer. Including the air and water. All the more reason to stay out of California...too dangerous!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• One thing I've learned from the guvmint is that everything in California causes cancer. Including the air and water. All the more reason to stay out of California...too dangerous!

don't worry - - we ship world wide 8o

• in summary- if you can't afford premium fuel than you shouldn't have boosted your slingshot in the 1st place!

I would say if you can't afford premium you probably shouldn't even have an NA slingshot - - why would you buy any performance vehicle and then not run the minimum recommended fuel? what's the point?