Minnesota passes AutoCycle Bill

• I'm still waiting from the legislator who wrote it for confirmation on it's effective date, but Minnesota did pass the bill to classify the Slingshot as a Autocycle. It will still be licensed and registered as a motorcycle, but will require only a valid drivers license (no motorcycle endorsement needed) AND *important here, Seat belts Must be worn. Helmet law as it is for motorcycles applies to the Slingshot as well. No helmet if 18 or older.

*** Update ***
    Law takes effect Aug 1 2016

Mark

• Illinois has been Autocycle now for a year, they talked about a different plate for registration but I haven't seen anything yet. We don't need a MC endorsement but follow all motorcycle laws. Its crazy having all these different interpretations from state to state for motorcycle and now autocycle to read up on if your passing through. I can drive 2 hrs from here and be in MO,IN,TN,AR or KY

• Where did you find this Info? I have been looking all weekend for it and couldn't find an effective date anywhere. I was thinking about getting my permit this week so I can start looking at slingshots but If I only have to wait another month and not have to go through it I would rather not.

Hopefully a future Slingshot Owner.

• I'm still waiting from the legislator who wrote it for confirmation on it's effective date, but Minnesota did pass the bill to classify the Slingshot as a Autocycle. It will still be licensed and registered as a motorcycle, but will require only a valid drivers license (no motorcycle endorsement needed) AND *important here, Seat belts Must be worn. Helmet law as it is for motorcycles applies to the Slingshot as well. No helmet if 18 or older.

*** Update ***
    Law takes effect Aug 1 2016

Mark

Georgia has house bill 1040 going through legislation to add autocycle definition to code 40-1-1 but it won't help us as written:

5.1) 'Autocycle' means a three-wheeled motor vehicle on which drivers and passengers ride within a completely enclosed seating area that is equipped with air bag protection, a roll cage, three-point safety restraints for each occupant, and antilock brakes and that is designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals."

Never sacrifice integrity for popularity >..<

• Georgia has house bill 1040 going through legislation to add autocycle definition to code 40-1-1 but it won't help us as written:

5.1) 'Autocycle' means a three-wheeled motor vehicle on which drivers and passengers ride within a completely enclosed seating area that is equipped with air bag protection, a roll cage, three-point safety restraints for each occupant, and antilock brakes and that is designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals."

Really? Airbags? Did they look at it or the specs at least. Sorry to hear this, maybe they'll catch it and correct it. Better yet, call them and ask about it.

• Really? Airbags? Did they look at it or the specs at least. Sorry to hear this, maybe they'll catch it and correct it. Better yet, call them and ask about it.

Already emailed Mr. Alan Powell-R a conversation starter. Suggested wording changes....provided my perspective, etc. Figured what's it hurt as a citizen to exercise my right and provide my input to a politician

Never sacrifice integrity for popularity >..<

• Georgia has house bill 1040 going through legislation to add autocycle definition to code 40-1-1 but it won't help us as written:

let me know how you worded yours. I'll also lend a hand here in GA. Need to read all of it just to make sure it is not going to be a detriment rather than a good thing.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• thank you! that was helpful

Hopefully a future Slingshot Owner.

• For Georgia members, Here is a link to all of the members of the house motor vehicles committee.

House Motor Vehicles

@Ruptured Duck, Kevin Tanner is from your area. Hes's on the committee.
    Representative Kevin Tanner

If they were to do away with the portion regarding air bags ans roll bars, that would be awesome!
    This is how it reads now.
    "(5.1) 'Autocycle' means a three-wheeled motor vehicle on which drivers and passengersride within a completely enclosed seating area that is equipped with air bag protection,a roll cage, three-point safety restraints for each occupant, and antilock brakes and thatis designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals."

• Just a reminder, Tomorrow (or tonight at midnight) the new law takes effect in Minnesota!
    It's now a Autocycle. Anyone with a valid drivers license can operate it!

IMPORTANT!
    SEATBELTS WILL BE MANDATORY! Helmets are optional if 18 or older.

• Hopefully a lot more will be sold in MN as it doesn't seem like there are very many. I have put out the call to see if folks want to go for a cruise on the MN Facebook page and I never get an answer. Hope to see more folks out soon.