Non optima batteries

• I'd add 24 in there (it's almost the same size as the 34), 42, 47 and 90 (these last three are smaller than the 34)

SlingLow we can collaborate on a design if you like, unless you just have something in mind already. I can muddle together a design and perhaps you can make it better and market it :)

You could also get the 34 and the 25 with just the side post and knock some off on how tall it is

• You could also get the 34 and the 25 with just the side post and knock some off on how tall it is

Very true, the 34 side post is a 78 (some batteries are called 34/78 and they will have both posts) and the 25 side is a 75. Of course when you go with a pure 78 or 75, they are shorter, but a hair wider due to the side posts, at least per BCI.

• wokka The 25/75 has both post at least mine does. I wanted the top post for the SS power and the side post for the easy access for adding other extra wiring without having to pull the battery out.

Yeah, that's what I was meaning in my post, just didn't articulate it well :) It's a good reason to get the multipost battery!

• Interstate used to have real good batteries.....I’ve been told since they stared making them in Mexico....not so much...

I am just wandering around the Internet:

Where are Interstate batteries actually made?

"The automotive, truck, and marine batteries are made by Johnson Controls which makes 65% of the automotive, truck, and marine batteries sold in the USA." Johnson Controls also makes the batteries for Wal-Mart and AutoZone. From Louisiana to Southern California the Interstate brand batteries are made by a Johnson Controls manufacturing plant in Monterrey, Mexico. In the other states, the batteries are made by Johnson Controls in the United States."

Partial list of brand names manufactured by Johnson Controls: Interstate, EverStart, Optima, DieHard, DuraLast, AC Delco, Some Bosch, Motocraft and others.

Just a little something else where the 2015 OEM battery dimensions are given as 7.73"X6.55"X7.01", it is just curious how this doesn't seem to really fit any common group sized batteries?

See the source image

Bill

• That's interesting about the 2015, I've seen several people reference it being a group 25 and that would mean it's over an inch shorter in length and height than a typical 25.

Also, the OEM 2015 is closer to a group 57 than anything else, but the 57 is still bigger.

Since it's such a small area, they must have had something custom made that doesn't fit a BCI group, or found one that was already the desired size.

Whats the cranking amps rating on the OEM, if it's marked?

• It is 575 CCA

If one wants to find a detraction for the 2015 stock battery then it could be that it is not sealed, so it must be serviced periodically and corrosion is more of an issue.

Bill

• 2015 is a Group 26

• 2015 is a Group 26

Not according to the size that wjfyfe posted. A 26 should be 8 3/16 long, 6 13/16 wide and 7 3/4 tall.

Just a little something else where the 2015 OEM battery dimensions are given as 7.73"X6.55"X7.01", it is just curious how this doesn't seem to really fit any common group sized batteries?

Bill

• 2015 is a Group 26

Interesting, our battery in our 2015 is approximately 7 11/16 inches long, not the 8 3/16 inches as listed, and is 6 1/2 inches wide, rather than the 6 13/16, as shown on the chart? Maybe the group sizes shown in the chart are only approximate depending on manufacturer?

However, looking at the larger, picture, a group 26 battery of the given dimensions will fit that space easily enough so in reality there are no issues with installing one.

Bill

• Interesting, our battery in our 2015 is approximately 7 11/16 inches long, not the 8 3/16 inches as listed, and is 6 1/2 inches wide, rather than the 6 13/16, as shown on the chart? Maybe the group sizes shown in the chart are only approximate depending on manufacturer?

Bill

From my understanding, the BCI group number is a standard to determine the case size of a battery. A manufacturer doesn't have to follow this, but I doubt you will see them advertise a BCI group number on a battery if it doesn't meet those specifications.

Bill, does your battery identify a group number?

• just for fun as a cost comparison Batteries + bulbs has several batteries that will fit in my 2016 Slingshot - they range in price from $110 to $160. Yellow top batteries seem to run around $270.

assuming that all of these batteries can provide the power needed for normal operation in order for the upgrade to the yellow top to be worth the additional cost it would need to last much longer before needing to be replaced

of course this does not consider the additional one time cost of the battery mount

so would a yellow top reliability last 1.7 to 2.5 times longer? - - - - I guess I will have to come back to that question when I know how long my current battery lasts :/

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I'd add 24 in there (it's almost the same size as the 34), 42, 47 and 90 (these last three are smaller than the 34)

SlingLow we can collaborate on a design if you like, unless you just have something in mind already. I can muddle together a design and perhaps you can make it better and market it :)

I'd be interested in your input. My nephew is the master fabricator - my talents lie elsewhere - like drinking too much and barbecuing meats. It looks to me like the Slingshot Only tray is too short for a non-optima battery and the Slingmods version uses a pinch-plate to hold the battery down that is shaped for the curve of the optima so no go there either. My thoughts are a plate and strap similar to the Slingshot Only tray only taller. Attaching the strap to the plate should be simple enough. The bigger challenge is determining how to attach the plate to the Sling. I can set it up for a '16.5 but would need to get my hands on the '17, '18 and '19 model years to adapt to any changes made - I believe there are some differences. I'll get together with my nephew on Monday or Tuesday to come up with something. We will use aluminum for the material. Powder coating will increase durability and resistance to corrosion. I don't plan to accommodate multiple sizes. I'll choose an option or two and go with that. I don't see any benefit to exhaustive research on every battery that will fit the Sling since one will do. The group 26 is my front runner, and it would likely work for others as well. Since my Slingshot is down and I don't want another Smurf battery, I'll use an extra quad battery that I have on hand if the weather smartens up enough to ride.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Optima batteries are not known for longevity but rate of discharge/amount of energy stored.

Normally only people with big music setups and lots of lighting/electronics go for them.

If you are going for longevity under normal use any gold/Platinum rated battery will often Outlast the optima.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• looking at the size chart posted above if you strap can accommodate a battery 6 13/16 wide and then have the ability to fit different heights using a long bolt that can be be tightened more or less then your tray could be made to fit a bunch of different group sizes. from what I can see there are 15 different batteries on that chart that are all 6 13/16 wide.

design your tray to hold this width with adjustable height then any one of the batteries on the list that is not too long could be used.

you could do something like this with wing nuts

s-l1600.jpg

or you could even go with some kind of strap similar to this for even more size flexibility

71XdxbWyYsL._SX425_.jpg

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited 2 times, last by Edward Neal ().

• I'd be interested in your input. My nephew is the master fabricator - my talents lie elsewhere - like drinking too much and barbecuing meats. It looks to me like the Slingshot Only tray is too short for a non-optima battery and the Slingmods version uses a pinch-plate to hold the battery down that is shaped for the curve of the optima so no go there either. My thoughts are a plate and strap similar to the Slingshot Only tray only taller. Attaching the strap to the plate should be simple enough. The bigger challenge is determining how to attach the plate to the Sling. I can set it up for a '16.5 but would need to get my hands on the '17, '18 and '19 model years to adapt to any changes made - I believe there are some differences. I'll get together with my nephew on Monday or Tuesday to come up with something. We will use aluminum for the material. Powder coating will increase durability and resistance to corrosion. I don't plan to accommodate multiple sizes. I'll choose an option or two and go with that. I don't see any benefit to exhaustive research on every battery that will fit the Sling since one will do. The group 26 is my front runner, and it would likely work for others as well. Since my Slingshot is down and I don't want another Smurf battery, I'll use an extra quad battery that I have on hand if the weather smartens up enough to ride.

Sounds good, if you notice, all of the mounts have a similar mounting design at the bottom with two bolts.

Having and adjustable height mount is critical and if it's a bit wider to accomodate all batteries that fit us, it should cover it all well.

I haven't even taken my battery off yet, but I know there is a fuse block and positive connector next to my battery (2019), does the older models have that and is it attached in anyway to get in the way of a mount?

• Having removed my battery serveral times....there is no way you want to use a tray like this with sides on it....our trays are flat......if it had sides (like pictured) it would be one bitch of a time trying to change it....you would have to lift the battery up and out of the tray. Not enough head room to do that and besides that our batteries are heavy. I have to lay on my side and and just trying to disconnect the cables and slide it is out is a chore.....if I had to add lifting it up and doing that would be just about impossible.