Rear End Noise Questions

• I have been carrying a spare needle bearing and inner race in my Sling for about a year now. They seem to have the same effect as the "Gremlin bell" on the Harley... so far so good. :thumbup:

• The needle bearing is the one most likely that will need replacing. The sealed double race bearing should be replaced if you remove it, you can't remove it by pushing against the outer race so damage is likely. Without the proper tools the double race bearing needs to be removed to remove the needle bearing. Until you remove the axle to investigate you will not know if you need both bearings.

IMO, if you need a new needle bearing, replace both. Cheap insurance.

You also can find the correct size double race bearing for $20, but I have yet to find one with the speed sensor ring.

• Do the bearings you just bought @FunCycle have mfg. part numbers. I have noticed that one of them is Mazda front wheel bearing. I would love to find out the cross reference part numbers

Have not received the bearings yet. This outfit has not even sent an order number to my e-mail. Was ordered at 2/45 PM on 8-24-16 from Genuine Polaris Parts. I will be calling 855-542-1616 on Monday if nothing by then. When I do receive them I will post all numbers from packaging and on the bearings.

• I get added to the clackity-clack-clack list. Heard it on a run yesterday. Washed the belt this morning,and went to Lake Tahoe for lunch, tagging along with Slingshots Across America crew. Still there, and a little louder. Marked the double nuts, and they have not budged. Belt not rubbing, or too tight.
    Emergency brake spring seems to want to ride to the outside------- all the nuts are tight on that, one end of the spring is thru the bracket, and the other is over the notch in the handle, as it should be. However, top side of spring seems to want to list to the outside, and has even rubbed paint off that very top nut. Could that POSSIBLY be an issue. All the rest of the springs that I checked were loose, but possibly not quite as "floppy". Just under 7000 miles........

• Back from the dealer- shot rear bearings confirmed. New ones on order (GET THIS- Polaris has them in stock!!!), paying overnight fees, and having them installed on Wednesday.
    My mechanic double checked the 2017 p/n's, hoping that the Mothership had upgraded over the 2016......No such luck, all- they are still putting in the same stuff. Now, I am keeping my fingers crossed that the 3 bearings, (numbers 3514773, 3514760, and 5138040) are all that is wrong- just the spacer sleeve is back-ordered until October 4. (Seriously???? for a spacer?????)
    Since I will have myself nose-deep in the removal and installation, other than super cleaning the shaft to insure no contamination, anything else I should watch for, ask about?

• I think there is only two bearings... The small needle bearing on the belt drive side and the larger roller bearing with the magnetic "flag" on the non-driven side. I believe the "spacer" you are refering to is the inner race for the smaller needle bearing. If I'm wrong I've been carrying around two spare bearings for over a year in case a three bearing emergency happens while on the road. Lol I hope this helps.

• I think there is only two bearings... The small needle bearing on the belt drive side and the larger roller bearing with the magnetic "flag" on the non-driven side. I believe the "spacer" you are refering to is the inner race for the smaller needle bearing. If I'm wrong I've been carrying around two spare bearings for over a year in case a three bearing emergency happens while on the road. Lol I hope this helps.

There are only two bearings (13 &17), however you need the third part mentioned ("bushing-needle" - 18) to complete the installation since it acts as the needle bearing inner race and is usually trashed if the bearing has failed .. the "Spacer" (14) fits over the axle in between the "bushing"(18) and inner race of the wheel side bearing(13) making it a solid structure .... most times the spacer is not replaced when the bearings are done .. but its not a bad idea ....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Yeah- knew it was 2 bearings & the needle bushing- just wanted to make sure that the new parts guy ordered ALL three. He has been w/ the dealership for about 3 weeks, so still a little lost.......
    He would have ordered the spacer, so hopefully, I wouldn't have that "aw shit" experience, when it was fully disassembled. I have no intention of leaving this one at the dealership, if there is ANY way around it. (Although,.... they just put a Stage 1 turbo into a white LE, up there..... Maybe, I could talk them into turning that one into their demo. :saint: They have given me their demos for loaners before. :00000441: ) My sling will sit tucked into the garage, until I take her up the hill for surgery on Wednesday

• If that is an actual product photo something is off ........... the Slingshot rear needle bearing has a composite cage with much smaller diameter and more rollers ....along with a double lip seal on both sides...

EDIT .. originally commented after just looking at the photo .. the description says "steel cage" and "open"(no seals) so something is definitely wrong with the info ....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited once, last by Orangeman ().