helmets - do you use one? and if yes what do you use?

• well its been over a year since I first started this thread and I am still using my little CF 1/2 helmet - - unless I can find a smaller, lighter DOT replacement in the future I suspect this will remain my daily riding hat

i-mKht35L-M.jpg

If you are looking for a light weight D.O.T helmet with a slim profile this is the answer. Through the years I searched and spent lots of money on helmets looking for something light weigh, low profile and D.O.T. approved only to be disappointed. Till I bought the Daytona 3/4 cruiser. It is as it claims. Best of all you wont look like the Great Gazoo! Check out the reviews.

https://www.daytonahelmets.com…approved-34-shell-helmets

• If you are looking for a light weight D.O.T helmet with a slim profile this is the answer. Through the years I searched and spent lots of money on helmets looking for something light weigh, low profile and D.O.T. approved only to be disappointed. Till I bought the Daytona 3/4 cruiser. It is as it claims. Best of all you wont look like the Great Gazoo! Check out the reviews.

That's the ticket!

Thanks

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• If you are looking for a light weight D.O.T helmet with a slim profile this is the answer. Through the years I searched and spent lots of money on helmets looking for something light weigh, low profile and D.O.T. approved only to be disappointed. Till I bought the Daytona 3/4 cruiser. It is as it claims. Best of all you wont look like the Great Gazoo! Check out the reviews.

I love the old skool looks of the 3/4 helmets like these, but on our hot weather the 1/2 helmet is as much as I can take

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• well its been over a year since I first started this thread and I am still using my little CF 1/2 helmet - - unless I can find a smaller, lighter DOT replacement in the future I suspect this will remain my daily riding hat

i-mKht35L-M.jpg

That's the one I wear -- very comfortable yet with sunglasses substantial enough to satisfy every CA cop I've driven by.

• We are now looking for "more airy" helmets to use with the Grasshopper when it has it's top on. The top makekes it more safe from flying debris, plus cuts down the wind noise considerably, we don't want to invest in a second intercom set so what would be the recommendations be for allowing normal conversations?

Bill

This is an interesting comment Bill. As you know I recently acquired the MeanSling top and while I agree that it provides some shielding from flying debris I personally think it drastically increases wind & road noise by focusing the wind and reflecting every little sound back into the cockpit - - I find it much easier to hear my radio and talk with the top removed - perhaps it is the difference in our windshields :/

• A lot of times as long as you have a ball cap on they will not even pay any attention to you.

with some of the wind we get I am not sure I could keep a ball cap on - heck sometimes the helmet lifts to where I know it would fly if it were not strapped on

• with some of the wind we get I am not sure I could keep a ball cap on - heck sometimes the helmet lifts to where I know it would fly if it were not strapped on

I wear a ball cap all of the time and have only lost it a couple of times when the wind was gusting and I am running the stock 2015 wind screen that has been cut off a little more than 3 inches ( 1/8 of an inch above the center bracket ) even with the cruise set at 100 MPH on the inter state. Working on 77,000 miles! I have not even lost a ball cap,YET. I probably will now that I have said that.

• They make these really cool clips for ball caps - sold in most boating stores .

Clips to the back of the hat has a short cord and the other end clips to the back of your shirt. This way if you hat flies off it can't go far.

Something like my Mom had me use when i was a youth so i wouldn't lose my mittens...:thumbsup:

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• So you lost jacket and mittens?????????????

Only the left one...So after i did that twice i had to wear the extra right hand mitten upside down on my left hand...

As far as jackets go only the rich kids had an extra... If i lost mine i had to walk to school wearing a blanket to keep warm..

Times were tough back then, But then we were even tougher...:thumbsup:

• This is an interesting comment Bill. As you know I recently acquired the MeanSling top and while I agree that it provides some shielding from flying debris I personally think it drastically increases wind & road noise by focusing the wind and reflecting every little sound back into the cockpit - - I find it much easier to hear my radio and talk with the top removed - perhaps it is the difference in our windshields :/

From this earlier thread: MeanSling Sport Top first ride

"Yesterday we took the Grasshopper on it's first longer ride with the Sport top, about 90 miles to the coast at 55-60 MPH on twisty roads, where it didn't start out all that great. We actually pulled into a rest area after about 60 miles to see if we could find any ear plugs lying around from when riding with the original Polaris windshield, the wind noise was getting to much for us to bear. Well, we couldn't find any ear plugs, but just for experimentation I took the front of the top from it's highest setting, down to it's lowest setting, essentially lowering the front of the top to narrow the gap with the top of the wind shield, and we continued towards the coast. Within the first couple of miles Justina and I were looking at each other in total amazement where just by that few inches we went from barely hearing each other even with the head sets, to a very comfortable ride, turning down our headsets at least half way or better. Out on the coast road we were able to crank it up to around 80 MPH and the ride remained just as comfortable.

We still think we'll remove the top to do most of our sightseeing, but for those longer rides, and the still yet tried longer rides in the rain, going from point A to point B in an expeditious manner, it appears that the top will make the ride a whole lot quieter and thus less fatiguing.

Bill"

An added note with the top at it's lowest setting it does decrease the wind noise on the highway, but it also makes it a real challenge to see the overhead traffic lights in town. But then, MeanSling provided for lots of easy adjustment options with the SportTop so that it can be customized for individual situations, some within minutes right on the spot.

Bill

• I have the Slingshade...And if i stop under the traffic lights it is hard to see if it changed green....So i'll just lay back a little...Or if i stopped too close i just sit there till the guy behind me lets me know if the light changed...:)..

• I have read through a good portion of this post and still not sure what I want to do. I live in NC and it is my understanding that a helmet is required by law however DRH40130-ML-108 would seem to contradict that. Being a motorcyclists in a state that requires a helmet affords me the luxury of having a few to choose from. Typically on my Harley I wear my turtle shell helmet which is not DOT approved and have never gotten a ticket.

Does anyone on here know of anybody in the state of North Carolina that has actually gotten a ticket for driving their SS without a helmet?

• I have read through a good portion of this post and still not sure what I want to do. I live in NC and it is my understanding that a helmet is required by law however DRH40130-ML-108 would seem to contradict that. Being a motorcyclists in a state that requires a helmet affords me the luxury of having a few to choose from. Typically on my Harley I wear my turtle shell helmet which is not DOT approved and have never gotten a ticket.

Does anyone on here know of anybody in the state of North Carolina that has actually gotten a ticket for driving their SS without a helmet?

I do know that several have been 'stopped and scolded' --- not sure about tickets. While riding in Maggie Valley at the rally nobody worries about the helmet.

Local Maggie Valley LOE's will usually not enforce the helmet regulations

However the state LOE's most certainly will

Yes there is a story there - that is from experience

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!