angle drive just shit the bed

• Ok... Not good. I have eliminated the rear bearings for the clicking / squeaking noise I keep hearing. Cleaned the belt and it went away for maybe a day or so. Would really hate to think it's in the angle drive.

Please, please no..... sad-squared

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Ok... Not good. I have eliminated the rear bearings for the clicking / squeaking noise I keep hearing. Cleaned the belt and it went away for maybe a day or so. Would really hate to think it's in the angle drive.

Hey RD. Does it sound like mine on #60? I'm interested since Polaris said it was normal drive-line noise before I took the video. My tech wanted the video to send to Polaris. He didn't have proof of the issue to send them. I'm going to try to get some more video with it in motion since the sound is getting worse very quickly.

Hey RD. Does it sound like mine on #60? I'm interested since Polaris said it was normal drive-line noise before I took the video. My tech wanted the video to send to Polaris. He didn't have proof of the issue to send them. I'm going to try to get some more video with it in motion since the sound is getting worse very quickly.

ok no but I have to ask. Did you make the video with the rear tire off the ground? If so try it again but this time pull the emergency brake up and try it again. Freaked me out the first time I did the same thing and thought my backlash was all screwed up. With the brake set you will hear the interaction of the pinion to ring gear better.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• @Ruptured Duck, I'm about 99% sure I had the brake on. Had it on and off several times. Jacked it up and put it on stands so I could check everything well. Tried it in gear and out. When I was rocking the SS before I jacked it up I could hear the sound and thought it might be the u-joint even though they had checked it. After I jacked it up I tried everything around the tire to see if it was the caliper or axle. Sound was not coming from there. I then went underneath and started working the drive shaft. No movement or sound in u-joint. I could hear it clearly coming from the diff. Looked it over and saw the movement and heard the sound on the output side. I can move just the belt drive on the diff and get a full 1/4" movement on the outside edge. When driving to the dealership today (to see if they still had an SS on the lift that I could check) the sound kept getting worse. Good thing is there is no sound under hard power. ;) Guess I'll just drive it really hard until something breaks. :D

• @Ruptured Duck, I'm about 99% sure I had the brake on. Had it on and off several times. Jacked it up and put it on stands so I could check everything well. Tried it in gear and out. When I was rocking the SS before I jacked it up I could hear the sound and thought it might be the u-joint even though they had checked it. After I jacked it up I tried everything around the tire to see if it was the caliper or axle. Sound was not coming from there. I then went underneath and started working the drive shaft. No movement or sound in u-joint. I could hear it clearly coming from the diff. Looked it over and saw the movement and heard the sound on the output side. I can move just the belt drive on the diff and get a full 1/4" movement on the outside edge. When driving to the dealership today (to see if they still had an SS on the lift that I could check) the sound kept getting worse. Good thing is there is no sound under hard power. ;) Guess I'll just drive it really hard until something breaks. :D

And that's why we can't have nice things. And no, if you break yours, you cannot drive mine.

@Ruptured Duck... was having same issues.... drive belt was riding too far to left side of wheel drive pulley. Belt was buffing the inner guide ring to a bright metal shiny. Adjusted drive belt back to the right about 1/16 of an inch and noise gone...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• @Ruptured Duck... was having same issues.... drive belt was riding too far to left side of wheel drive pulley. Belt was buffing the inner guide ring to a bright metal shiny. Adjusted drive belt back to the right about 1/16 of an inch and noise

thanks... Will look at that as well.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Well, just got a call from my dealer. Seems that my GoPro video of my angle drive was finally enough to convince Polaris that what I was hearing was NOT "normal gear noise" like they said at first. They are sending a new angle drive and it will be in the SS in about a week and, more importantly, before Eureka! :00000441:
    Here is the YouTube link if you want to hear it. It is 7 min. so you probably won't want to watch it all but it may help if others are hearing anything like this. I started, stopped, backed up, started again several times. Also, you can see that the belt moves to the outside of the drive pulley as the speed increases. Never went over 40 in the video.

• Well, just got a call from my dealer. Seems that my GoPro video of my angle drive was finally enough to convince Polaris that what I was hearing was NOT "normal gear noise" like they said at first. They are sending a new angle drive and it will be in the SS in about a week and, more importantly, before Eureka!

Glad you're getting it resolved. See if you can get your dealer to follow up and find out what the root cause is. I think a lot of people here would like to know what makes that noise.

• Unfortunately, I'm sure the dealer has to send the angle drive back to the mothership for an autopsy - and then, Polaris be like: :00010164:

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Unfortunately, I'm sure the dealer has to send the angle drive back to the mothership for an autopsy - and then, Polaris be like: :00010164:

When I had my angle drive replaced, the dealer opened up the casing as part of the discovery and reinstall. One of the race rings that is supposed to be mounted in the casing was not, and it was loose, making the alignment of the bearings less-than-optimal, and there was damage on all of the teeth. It was plainly visible. It would just be something nice to know.

• My dealer actually told me Polaris never even takes the angle drives back. He said they hold them for a few Months then just scrap them.told me Polaris says they want them but no one ever shows up to pick them up. I was surprised myself but he told me to come check in a few months and my old drive will be sitting in the same place they left it

• When I had my angle drive replaced, the dealer opened up the casing as part of the discovery and reinstall. One of the race rings that is supposed to be mounted in the casing was not, and it was loose, making the alignment of the bearings less-than-optimal, and there was damage on all of the teeth. It was plainly visible. It would just be something nice to know.

My dealer actually told me Polaris never even takes the angle drives back. He said they hold them for a few Months then just scrap them.told me Polaris says they want them but no one ever shows up to pick them up. I was surprised myself but he told me to come check in a few months and my old drive will be sitting in the same place they left it

This is very interesting. I'll ask my tech about it and maybe we can just take it apart. Or keep it for spare parts. With the extra panels and stuff I have I'm not far from building my own. :D