What's with all the wimpy air horns?

• For some reason my Wolo 619 single tone horn (320 Hz - http://wolo-mfg.com/media/wysiwyg/sound/replacement_horns/619.mp3) gave up the ghost. I replaced it with the Low tone (335 Hz) horn from the Model 308-2T Sonic Blast® 12-volt 118 Decibels 335/400 Hz Two Terminal set. You wouldn't think just a 15 Hz difference would make all that much difference, but the 335 Hz horn is definitley more like the Beep Beep high pitched horns. Most multitone horn sets use frequencies that do not mix harmoniously to generate their attention-getting sound , but I much prefer a louder, single low tone horn.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• For some reason m y beloved Wolo 619 single tone horn (320 Hz - http://wolo-mfg.com/media/wysiwyg/sound/replacement_horns/619.mp3) gave up the ghost. I replaced it with the Low tone (335 Hz) horn from the Model 308-2T Sonic Blast® 12-volt 118 Decibels 335/400 Hz Two Terminal set. You wouldn't think just a 15 Hz difference would make al that much difference, but the 335 Hz horn is definitley more like the Beep Beep high pitched horns. Most multitone horn sets use frequencies that do not mix harmoniously to generate their attention-getting sound , but I much prefer a louder, single low tone horn.

Sending you the bill for my aspirin! :00000028:

I was not ready for that!!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• Hi there,Can u tell me if u r happy with this horn and if it's significantly louder than the stock horn? Also, does it install on existing bracket / location?

Is this a test... I managed to mount it in the stock location but had to make a bracket to hang it. Not to be a wise guy but my horn never worked so yes this is significantly louder.
    I think it is the least expensive option and you should be pleased. If you need a picture of the mount let me know

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Hi there,Can u tell me if u r happy with this horn and if it's significantly louder than the stock horn? Also, does it install on existing bracket / location?

@Bibi, Check here to here how each Wolo horn sounds - http://www.wolo-mfg.com. As a genera; rule, the air-compressor-powered Wolo horns are louder than the diaphragm horns. Personally, I greatly prefer the Model 619 horn's single tone horn (at 320 Hz) much more than the Model 419 horn's dual-tone horn (530 & 680 Hz).

• ....And on the highways where everyone loves being in the LEFT lANE like they live there, I also have a siren installed in the rear that's loud as HELL even underneath the rear cover & have it on a separate switch....The siren is located between the seat belt mounts and the speaker you can see....

• @Bibi, Check here to here how each Wolo horn sounds - http://www.wolo-mfg.com. As a genera; rule, the air-compressor-powered Wolo horns are louder than the diaphragm horns. Personally, I greatly prefer the Model 619 horn's single tone horn (at 320 Hz) much more than the Model 419 horn's dual-tone horn (530 & 680 Hz).

Thanks BKL, but I guess I'm slow. You are using the Low tone (335 Hz) horn from the Model 308-2T Sonic Blast® 12-volt 118 Decibels 335/400 Hz Two Terminal set, correct??

• Is this a test... I managed to mount it in the stock location but had to make a bracket to hang it. Not to be a wise guy but my horn never worked so yes this is significantly louder.I think it is the least expensive option and you should be pleased. If you need a picture of the mount let me know

Thanks for the info. Not a test!

• I like the sound of two tone horns so I have a Stebel horn that I bought years ago and never used and a Rolo Big Bad Max. The Stebel is probably close to the Rolo Bad Boy in frequency. The two of them definitely get people's attention.

• Thanks BKL, but I guess I'm slow. You are using the Low tone (335 Hz) horn from the Model 308-2T Sonic Blast® 12-volt 118 Decibels 335/400 Hz Two Terminal set, correct??

Yes to both questions. the Low Tone horn from the 308-2T set is louder than the stock horn to my ears. It could just be that I prefer the lower, but not as low as I'd prefer, tone of the Low Tone horn and the horn can be fit in the original location. Just use the bracket already attached to the horn, but you will need to change the connector to individual 1/4" spade connectors. The two horns combined draw less than 10A, IIRC, so the original horn wiring can be used for both or just one. Oreilly Auto just had the 308-2T set on sale for $23. Unfortunately, I don't think Wolo sells the Low Tone 335 Hz horn by itself.

Edited 2 times, last by BKL ().

• Yes. The two horns combined draw less than 10A, IIRC, so the original horn wiring can be used for both or just one. Oreilly Auto just had the 308-2T set on sale for $23. Unfortunately, I don't think Wolo sells the Low Tone 335 Hz horn by itself.

That clip you posted is testament to it's sound no doubt... LOL, I was sitting in a quiet room when I played the audio clip (not realizing my iPad was connect to my Amazon Echo at level 8).

Still, I think the Marco sounds quite a bit louder... the downside is, it does draw more amperage (around 15). But hey... that's what an alternator is for!! HONK HONK :P

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• That clip you posted is testament to it's sound no doubt... LOL, I was sitting in a quiet room when I played the audio clip (not realizing my iPad was connect to my Amazon Echo at level 8).
    Still, I think the Marco sounds quite a bit louder... the downside is, it does draw more amperage (around 15). But hey... that's what an alternator is for!! HONK HONK :P

Although I didn't say it, I recommend the website mainly to hear the tone of the horn since I normally keep my speaker volume down.
    Back when I was on 2 wheels, I was riding thru a nearby town and a car started crossing into my lane. I honked my Suzuki V-Strom 650's horn (high-pitched and pathetic) and some people in a convertible nearby just started laughing. I replaced the horn with a lower tone horn at that point. Even the 335 Hz horn I use now sounds much higher in pitch compared to the Wolo 619's single 320 Hz tone.