Conservative Politics & Daily Events Discussion

• Time until you will need it is the key.

If you are going to need it now or in the very near future then you should invest it conservatively because if you take a hit you probably wont have the time needed to recover.

On the other hand if you dont have any immediate need for the money and are investing for a need that is further in the future than you can be more aggressive in your investing - this should increase your earnings and also gives you time to recover any short term losses.

Had a client who was just getting ready to retire when the 2008 crash hit - he had invested fairly aggressively for many years and seemed to be set financially, but he never changed his investment strategy to reflect his age and proximity to his planned retirement - - - lost more than half of his retirement savings which ended his plans to retire - He never did manage to get back to where he was financially.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• And if you fail you get free welfare for the wealthy. You can't lose. It's the small potato heads like me that get taken for a ride.

Odds are even though you consider yourself a "small potato head" the government does not - heck if you as an individual make $45,000 a year you are in the top half of earners and if you manage to make $75,000 you are in the top 22% - - if you have a working spouse and your household income is hits $150,000 together you are in the top 15% of income earners

this is the problem with going after "the rich" when the government says they want to tax the rich - there is a good chance that includes pretty much everyone who has a decent full time job

• Odds are even though you consider yourself a "small potato head" the government does not - heck if you as an individual make $45,000 a year you are in the top half of earners and if you manage to make $75,000 you are in the top 22% - - if you have a working spouse and your household income is hits $150,000 together you are in the top 15% of income earners

this is the problem with going after "the rich" when the government says they want to tax the rich - there is a good chance that includes pretty much everyone who has a decent full time job

We are retired and would like to stay that way. They say the American dream is no longer, I believe it. Getting harder and harder to control the pigs at the trough.

• And if you fail you get free welfare for the wealthy. You can't lose. It's the small potato heads like me that get taken for a ride.

I gotta respectfully disagree. I am a 62 year old white male - in the arguably the most discriminated against group in the country. The government, or anybody else for that matter, will do nothing for me if I fail. Lucky for me I know that and invest accordingly. I worked hard for what I have accumulated, just like all of us here have. I am confident in that statement because you wouldn’t be able to spend discretionary income on a SS and mods if you didn’t. Welfare and food stamps ??? - just send me a bullet. if Medicare doesn’t go broke maybe I’ll get a little help from the exorbitant health care costs I’m paying now. I fortunately have made enough money I am confident my wife and I will be financially secure enough to live comfortably until we die - which for me would come much quicker if I did not continue the lifestyle to which my bride has become accustomed:P. As Edward Neal pointed out - I fall into that 15% group and am fortunate enough to have expendable income to play the stock market and possibly make more money to pass on to the grandkids or...not —- but would remain financially secure either way. One more value my Dad passed on to me - “Rich is a relative term - but broke is broke under any definition ”. I get it if you are talking about the top 1% - they live in a different world and play the game under a completely different set of rules.

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I gotta respectfully disagree. I am a 62 year old white male - in the arguably the most discriminated against group in the country. The government, or anybody else for that matter, will do nothing for me if I fail. Lucky for me I know that and invest accordingly. I worked hard for what I have accumulated, just like all of us here have. I am confident in that statement because you wouldn’t be able to spend discretionary income on a SS and mods if you didn’t. Welfare and food stamps ??? - just send me a bullet. if Medicare doesn’t go broke maybe I’ll get a little help from the exorbitant health care costs I’m paying now. I fortunately have made enough money I am confident my wife and I will be financially secure enough to live comfortably until we die - which for me would come much quicker if I did not continue the lifestyle to which my bride has become accustomed:P. As Edward Neal pointed out - I fall into that 15% group and am fortunate enough to have expendable income to play the stock market and possibly make more money to pass on to the grandkids or...not —- but would remain financially secure either way. One more value my Dad passed on to me - “Rich is a relative term - but broke is broke under any definition ”. I get it if you are talking about the top 1% - they live in a different world and play the game under a completely different set of rules.

Never mind me, I'm just blowing off some steam.

• I would like to urge everyone here to use this link - Contact the White House - To let the President know that you support him in keeping the government shut down until the Congress gets him a bill that includes funding for the wall

The only reason why this is even an issue is because the Democrats do not want to give Trump a win - despite the fact that at one time or another every one of them has spoken out in support of a border wall they just cant stand the idea of doing anything that might benefit Trump even if they know it is what is best for the country

Anyway I just think it is a good idea to let Trump know that people are behind him and want our borders secured

• Suspect in fatal California cop shooting is in US illegally, authorities say

https://www.foxnews.com/us/sus…illegally-authorities-say

So sad - I really feel for the officer’s family. On the other hand shame on California’s open borders/sanctuary city agenda - you reap what you sow!!! Maybe some more gun control will help

• Wow Bill, Calling out Alex Jones as "insane". I agree, but InfoWars and Alex Jones are a prominent "news" source for far right republicans. Agreeing with me on topics and bashing Jones...are you creeping to the center?:*

• Actually, it took about 6 years for the market to reach its previously held value. As long as you're healthy, it can be ridden out w/o any panic selling.

• Personally... I think Trump will end up on a funny farm.

• Wow Bill, Calling out Alex Jones as "insane". I agree, but InfoWars and Alex Jones are a prominent "news" source for far right republicans. Agreeing with me on topics and bashing Jones...are you creeping to the center?:*

Thought ya might like that - insane is insane no matter whether your right or left.

I like to think I’m conservative - NOT CRAZY.....at least my politics :00008172::00008172::00008172:

Just for fair and balanced reporting

can’t forget Moonbeam:00008359::00008359::00008359:

• With all this talk about the value of the the stock market recently. I thought that you may be interested to look at "leverage loans," if the interest rate goes up

If these start hitting the headlines, over the next few weeks GET OUT QUICK!

It is starting to return to the "CDO" game (collateralized debt obligation).

The credit risk of these loans is simply being transferred back to the CLO holders (collateralized loan obligation). These are CDOs based on, higher risk, bank loans, (not mortgages). This is intended to boost spending & the economy. - Works well, when intrest stays very low -

Then, in turn, bankers may buy credit default swaps to further transfer the credit risk to protection sellers. Just like in the children’s game of musical chairs, when the music stops, someone is going to fall on the floor pretty dam hard. We have seen it all before, starting in 2006 & going bang, in 2008.

Sub-prime mortgages were the thing that people always hear about, but remember the real problem was the CDO/CLO's they went into & it's happening again. - Money for bankers - Nothing, for us mere mortals -

Again, not a political comment as it started with the Republicans, was perpetuated by the Democrats & and should have been controlled by whoever got in, this time. But nobody did anything, on either side, even now they know what the problem was.

All the best, from UK_Paul

Edited 5 times, last by UK_Paul ().

• UK_Paul I hear you. It is starting to look like deja vu. I was unhappy when I heard President Trump removed the regulations put on banks to thwart another crash.

The game is exactly the same now. The car manufacturers are stopping car production and focussing on SUV's and Trucks as they did before. Housing market has been ridiculously awesome as it was before. Gulp!

• WOLF I hadn't realised that Trump had removed the restrictions, in the US.

My wife just confirmed it, to me. She works in the industry & recommends watching https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Short_(film)

Aparently, this time it won't be the mortgages, but high risk companies, with loans, they can't pay (along with personal loans). She says. "Just check out GM selling off most overseas holdings."

All the best, from UK_Paul

Edited 3 times, last by UK_Paul ().

• A LOT has changed since the housing bust here in the US as the lenders were the main problem. Many laws have been passed that Trump cannot just remove with the stroke of a pen. Firstly, selling homes for no money down or very little - buyer had no equity in the property - now it is law you have to qualify. Having done work for Citifinacial I saw first hand management threatened lower level managers with termination of quotas were not met. Lenders in bed with appraisers to inflate property values - which ultimate led to the bust. Don’t get me wrong - big business will take advantage wherever possible but they cannot be constrained to the point of unprofitability. That being said that “too big to fail” BS makes me sick and the government bailing out private companies should be an amendment to the constitution