Conservative Politics & Daily Events Discussion

• Why wouldn't everyone in Congress want to just get most funding plans into one bill, if they agree that those places will need funding? Which is sounds like they all agree.

If it is such a hassle for them to figure out how and where to vote on a bill right now. Shouldn't they try to limit the amount of bills they pass to cover the same topic?

• The first PPP bill was going well until the Dems decided to add pork to it. Can you say Kennedy Center? How did that help small businesses? Once the Center got its money, it fired the Orchestra. Now the latest bill was a one page addendum to the previous bill. It added money because the original one was too small and decided. If the Dems want a pork filled bill, let them propose a new one!!!

YLM. Your Life Matters

• Interesting "understanding" of a bill that hasn't "passed" the House or Senate. Very interesting.

I can't argue that type of understanding.;) Good to see Orangeman agrees with you, helps me there too.:*

EDIT: I was originally speaking in general terms, just so happens to fit this scenario also.

It is a funding bill to plus up bipartisan legislation that already passed .......

A clean bill would be around 25 lines lines ..... how much, from where, to where, and what time frame ....

This is what "the others" proposed 10 days before the fund ran dry ...

The dem leadership want to "renegotiate" the original legislation to add in "stuff" they didn't get in the original bite ...

This should have been passed days ago, they are holding small businesses who have already applied and need the funding hostage .... sorry, no other way to look at it ....

So how is that "understanding" ...... bored-squared

Seems there may be an agreement in the works with very few concessions and the Senate is being called back tomorrow, hopefully for a vote. Who wants to bet it gets jammed up again tomorrow and then the House stalls it even longer ....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Wait a minute, you guys are mad because the Dems wanted to add more funding for hospitals and testing in "a funding bill to plus up bipartisan legislation that already passed ......."?

Why were the Republicans fighting them on that for a week?

Heck, Trump was bragging on Sunday that those things were going to be in there.

:/ I have to be missing something. I read a FOX News article for all ^that info.

• Why were the Republicans fighting them on that for a week?

Sorry buddy but again you haven't been following, the Republicans are all behind funding for Hospitals, testing, states, and localities.

The PPP (where the funding is needed) is not structured to handle the unique needs of those other areas, a specialized funding bill is being worked on that is structured very differently with more grants and direct support rather than the "loan" structure of the PPP. Adding everything in the existing funding legislation would gum the system up that is already in place and functioning to help small businesses as well as drag out the "plus up" even longer as what is already being worked on in "Phase 4" is jammed in. It is already late so anything that delays it further hurts the country.

With that it looks like a small bit of immediate help for Hospitals and testing have been added to the "Plus up" but the big work is already being done to help those other areas in a more effective and direct manner with unique legislation.

..... nerd-squared

• I just heard Pence say, as you stated, that testing and hospitals were items his team fought for. It is weird that those were the things sited when complaining about the Dems fighting for additions. I'm still uncertain what it was this time that the Dems were asking for?

The FOX article did say, Republicans were trying to rescind The Kennedy Center money. I'm not sure exactly who they fired and why, but if it was simply because of Covid after receiving the money, I agree it should be rescinded. I also, agree that it is possibly wrong that the Dems sought money specifically for one place.

• The FOX article did say, Republicans were trying to rescind The Kennedy Center money. I'm not sure exactly who they fired and why, but if it was simply because of Covid after receiving the money, I agree it should be rescinded. I also, agree that it is possibly wrong that the Dems sought money specifically for one place.

If that one bothers you then I am not sure if I should post this because if you are busy enough with important things rather than having waaaay too much time on your hands to be able to follow the goings on in DC then I am truly jealous.

This list is much shorter than what was originally demanded by dem leadership be included in the original COVID-19 aid legislation but was the minimum they would accept to agree for its passage.

$10,804,687,000 for international development

$350,000,000 for refugee resettlement

$93,000,000 Direct to Congress ($25 million of which is for "salaries and expenses")

$75,000,000 for PBS stations

$75,000,000 for the National Foundation on the Arts and Humanities

$75,000,000 National Endowment for the Humanities

$50,000,000 for the Institute of Museum and Library Services

$25,000,000 for the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts

$7,500,000 for the Smithsonian Institution

..... confused-squared

• Thank you Orangeman - thanks for putting those figures up - WOLF join me in giving up my stimulus check (that I ain’t getting anyway) - hell let’s you and I send the Democrats some extra for all these feel good projects - you can certainly UNDERSTAND that !!
    :00008172::00008172::00008172::00008172::00008172::00008172::00008172:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Father-in-Law was under Hospice care for weeks(we were the daily/nightly watch/nurse/bather/changer..., he died and we had the funeral. That was the last 3 weeks. Not to mention, working, dealing with personal health issues and trying to get his finances and all things death figured out.

Don't be jealous.?(

I do agree that is an unnecessary list at the time and now for the matter. It doesn't however answer what they asked for this time that was so offensive.

• I do agree that is an unnecessary list at the time and now for the matter. It doesn't however answer what they asked for this time that was so offensive.

It isn't what they are asking for .....that is the spin ..... "we want to help hospitals and testing but the evil heartless Republicans won't do it" .... it is the time it would take to properly add it and the changes to the process to already passed bipartisan legislation. That sir was, and is the problem. It is also why it is being worked through separately. As mentioned this should have been, and was proposed to be done in a clean Bill BEFORE the fund ran dry .. now businesses have been in limbo for a week as some play out a political move and will be for longer after it passes as banks now need to ramp the stalled application and distribution system back up. I could say it is being done on purpose to slow and create confusion as well as doubt in the help negotiated by this administration without care of what distress it is causing to American citizens but that would be awfully cynical of me ..... and as you know I am by nature a ray of sunshine.

....wacky-squared

• Watch for a slow trickle of news to begin reference the south china sea. China is moving forward on claiming more islands and guess what isn't there to challenge them? We're busy with a virus, to bad we don't have an aircraft carrier in that area.

• The PPP Paycheck Protection Program for small Businesses run out of money. I applied on the first day after it became available but just got the info no more $$ left. I guess my small business is not big enough.

My wife is the office manager for a small/medium size union electrical commercial grade contractor. She worked the paperwork. Her company received the stimulus money yesterday. Hopefully it will work for you soon!

• It isn't what they are asking for .....that is the spin ..... "we want to help hospitals and testing but the evil heartless Republicans won't do it" .... it is the time it would take to properly add it and the changes to the process to already passed bipartisan legislation. That sir was, and is the problem. It is also why it is being worked through separately. As mentioned this should have been, and was proposed to be done in a clean Bill BEFORE the fund ran dry .. now businesses have been in limbo for a week as some play out a political move and will be for longer after it passes as banks now need to ramp the stalled application and distribution system back up. I could say it is being done on purpose to slow and create confusion as well as doubt in the help negotiated by this administration without care of what distress it is causing to American citizens but that would be awfully cynical of me ..... and as you know I am by nature a ray of sunshine.

....wacky-squared

I don't know what arguments the Dems used as reasoning for the additional testing, hospital and food program money. Maybe some hospitals need funding as badly as small businesses, maybe that food program is on the cusp of closing, I don't know. If those were the arguments, why fight the Dems for a week and then settle on a stop gap amount. Agree to a stop gap amount upfront and get the bill passed.

Grant you I don't know how badly all those things require money NOW. Some guys seem to know they don't need it NOW. If as believed by some there was no urgent need for funds for some hospitals, testing and food organization, then the Dems were wrong to try to get the money NOW. However, if it is urgently needed, the Republicans would be wrong for not offering a stop gap amount compromise earlier.

• However, if it is urgently needed, the Republicans would be wrong for not offering a stop gap amount compromise earlier.

And there sir the spin machine works overtime again (that is not a refernce to your comments, but rather the lack of complete reporting) ... when the clean funding Bill was brought to the floor the dems would not even pass a vote to put it to a floor vote .. they just said they wouldn't vote on it unless other items where added ...knowing full well those other items where already being worked on (That is what the President and VP where referencing). That very day Mnuchin and McConnell agreed to add some stopgap funding while the "Phase 4" Bill is worked out ... 10 days ago that wasn't good enough, the dems wanted it all, plus more, or nothing.

Now today we are right back to what was proposed three days before the fund ran dry .... that leads me to believe it was never the extra funding that was the goal, but rather the delay itself. Even Schumer was taken to the carpet on MSNBC a couple days ago and he couldn't explain the delay. I think that is worth repeating ... MSNBC disagreed with Schumers actions to his face in a prime time interview.

When you won't take yes for an answer then there is something else going on, and this time it came at the cost of American citizens livelihoods. Some of those are forum members who went through the process just to be told the fund was dry.

EDIT: Seems a few minutes ago Schumer signed off and will allow a vote today. Haven't seen the final draft yet, not sure how it shook out.

..... bored-squared

Edited 2 times, last by Orangeman ().

• WOLF - sometimes you make a fairly decent argument for the Dems -on this bill you really ain’t got a leg to stand on. Dems are doing everything they can to politicize and try and take advantage of this crisis grasping our country right now.

• Once again AOC demonstrates what a lunatic she is by celebrating the crash of the oil market claiming now is the time to invest in her Green New Deal. If she is the future of the Dem Party and is re-elected I only thought Pelosi was bad -,she shoulda stuck to bar tending IMO !!!

• what you are witnessing is the dems trying to do everything to put Trump in a bad light. and to buy more votes....

they loaded this phase up with pork again.....then they dangled the $2000 a month carrot in front of everything and everyone.....if the republicans object to passing the pork loaded bill....the dems will say look TRUMP would rather watch you starve ....the republicans don’t care about you....They don’t care about your business...

this is still....impeach, impeach, impeach, Russia, Russia, Russia.....they knows he’s about to Crush them like the cockroaches they are...
    they want him to lose the next election. they just proved they will throw every American under the bus to achieve their objective. They held it up deliberately...to put the workers deeper in debt...to make everyone more desperate for money. These small businesses have been deliberately pushed further in debt.....so they have the republicans in a take it or leave it deal....if the republicans vote it down the workers are going to go crazy.....The longer it goes unpassed the the dems make bigger headlines.......the republicans don’t care about you.

• WOLF - sometimes you make a fairly decent argument for the Dems -on this bill you really ain’t got a leg to stand on. Dems are doing everything they can to politicize and try and take advantage of this crisis grasping our country right now.

I didn't really put forth an argument. I was just trying to figure out who did what and why people are mad again. If Orangeman 's last statement is accurate, the Dems are in the wrong based on my previous criteria.