Spray bombs

• So... I assume you've painted and clear coated the entire piece and now you want to add another color.

If you tape off an area on the clear, scuff inside that area then paint and clear it you will surely get a tape "hump"!

Situations like this called for taping the base coat after a couple of hours, spraying the second color, remove tape, take your finger and rub the edge to remove loose build up and then clear over all.
    To reduce the tape "edge" really will require wet sanding the whole piece and then doing the above. If not, you will have the edge hump!

Oh dear it's going to be a lot of work soon!!!

• So... I assume you've painted and clear coated the entire piece and now you want to add another color.

If you tape off an area on the clear, scuff inside that area then paint and clear it you will surely get a tape "hump"!

Situations like this called for taping the base coat after a couple of hours, spraying the second color, remove tape, take your finger and rub the edge to remove loose build up and then clear over all.
    To reduce the tape "edge" really will require wet sanding the whole piece and then doing the above. If not, you will have an edge hump!

I've had an edge hump in my younger days when I couldn't afford a hotel room. From what I recall, there's worse things in life than that.

(sorry Jim, the Tripod inside me needs a snickers bar)

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• So, you will never believe what happened today.....the clear coat looked magnificent....its been drying 3-4 days....early this morning I masked off to paint the black....did it outside waiting for the temp to go above 65. Put 3 coats of black on that looked great....left it to dry in the driveway.....in the sun....while I installed my mirror turn signals.

When I picked up the fender 2 hours later and took off the tape and paper.....the paper and the ink was stuck to the clear coat and the tape coming off lifted the clear into rough spots. You could even see the tape lines burnt into the titanium paint...the sun bleached the paint through the tape leaving light and dark stripes.

So I took 150 grit and removed all the clear and roughed up the gray....went to the paint store and bought more paint and more clear....so I am doing it over again....already did 400 then 600. Tomorrow I'll degrease it mask the black and paint the gray and see what happens.

• Yes, but it was not without much grief...three paint jobs later and this morning I finished the black...that said I let the clear dry for two days in my cellar.....the masking tape again left tape marks in the clear after one hour and I had to polish out the fingerprints left in the clear also...along with the tape marks...I got over 90% of them out but you can still see them if you look closely...I used 3m fineness it by hand to polish the entire fender..that took over an hour....

That said some of the mounting bolts were missing and I had to buy those over $17 worth of stainless bolts and washers and nuts.....and the backing plate for the side bracket was missing I had to make one....and getting the brackets and fender to line up was a bear...oh and the holes were off in the back of the fender for the rear mount which I had to drill bigger...a three week project.....

Which is perfectly normal for everything I do because nothing ever goes smoothly....everytime I do a project it reminds me of Gilligan's island...supposed to be three hours tour and ends up lasting seven seasons...make a simple parts run end up going to 10 different stores to find what I need...if I can even find it..

Oh and my paint job looks as good as the factory one..they match.