Slingmods backup camera harness

• Ok. I think I have narrowed down the problem but would love to know if anyone has a different suggestion....

I called the manufacturer of the wiring harness and he has seemed to notice a trend.

My Slingshot didn't come with the factory camera. I have a base model.

What I did was purchase the OEM Camera and installed it, ran the harness and connections and nothing.

Has anyone had luck on installing the OEM camera and connecting it to their slingshot via the harness and aftermarket head unit?

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info

• I replied on the other site. First two things to check: !. Did you plug backup into the brown yellow connector, or the bright yellow. The bright is video in, not backup. Second, go to the radio settings for camera, my 4200 had the backup turned off from the box. Good luck

• I replied on the other site. First two things to check: !. Did you plug backup into the brown yellow connector, or the bright yellow. The bright is video in, not backup. Second, go to the radio settings for camera, my 4200 had the backup turned off from the box. Good luck

Hi!

Yes I did. Spoke with the harness manufacturer and got a question for you?

Is your sling a SL or one that came with a camera? This seems to be my issue. I have a base and purchased the slingmods kits and an oem camera. I am told their lies my problem. Not sure how or why, but that's what I'm being told.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Just read on the other site. My problem is the oem camera using on base. So weird....

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• Mine is a base, but I did not use the harness. Ran an rca cable myself.

I aasume your stereo is mounted, but in case you still have access to back....Do you have access to anything with an RCA video out. Could be a laptop, portable DVD player etc. If so, I would try to run the video from that output to the same plug on the pioneer (backup camera in). Put in reverse, and if you get video, that would indicate something in the harness or oem camera is off. If you still do not get video, would likely tell me a setting in the pioneer. I mentioned a couple of other things to check on the other site (camera ouput type etc). I had to toggle a couple of settings....

• I believe the factory camera is made to work with polaris's factory system which is integrated in to the can bus from my understanding. So the factory camera would have came with a little plug and not naked wires for u to tie into. That plug would then plug into the harness that's back there under the fin somewhere but u having a base model not sure u would have the harness or not I beleieve it comes with the whole infotainment setup. Not sure .so if u are wiring the camera it self to the radio I don't see how. Did u splice open a video cable and plug it in to the back of your Pioneer stereo . I don't think you will be able to see video like that .thats not how the after market radio will work. If the radio doesn't know it's a video feed how's it's suppose to display it. You need video wire coming from camera to head unit

• I believe the factory camera is made to work with polaris's factory system which is integrated in to the can bus from my understanding. So the factory camera would have came with a little plug and not naked wires for u to tie into. That plug would then plug into the harness that's back there under the fin somewhere but u having a base model not sure u would have the harness or not I beleieve it comes with the whole infotainment setup. Not sure .so if u are wiring the camera it self to the radio I don't see how. Did u splice open a video cable and plug it in to the back of your Pioneer stereo . I don't think you will be able to see video like that .thats not how the after market radio will work. If the radio doesn't know it's a video feed how's it's suppose to display it. You need video wire coming from camera to head unit

The slingmods kit plugs into the harness for the camera, even the base models have the harness. You just need to add the camera and an aftermarket headunit (supposedly) The harness has the right connectors to convert the base camera/harness to an rca connection.

I used an aftermarket camera, so just ran the rca myself. Probably could have cut into the harness and soldered on rca connectors, would not have been worth the trouble, and the harness was not available at the time.. Probably something simple, but I can't picture it....

• the stock camera will work with a aftermarket unit i have used 2 pioneers and a joying android unit. I will have to look at the schematic to see the wires but all i did was use the plug on the back of the stock unit and add an rca. The stock camera is powered all the time the key is in the on position that's why everyone had problems with radio reception but when put to accessories the camera is off and radio works

• The wiring harness adapts directly to the stock plug from Polaris.

Follow the power wiring as instructed in the video.

I initially didn't connect the purple wire in the Slingmods harness to anything and could not get an image to appear.

I finally figured out I had to connect the purple wire on the harness to the purple wire from the Clarion head labeled camera trigger (something like that) and everything worked perfectly after that.