LED headlight conversion on the cheap.

• I just want to pass along that you do not always have to go to the Slingshot aftermarket parts stores. A LED headlight conversion can cost as much as $199 at such sites. I went to ebay, got the H3's (outside lights) for $12.89 and the H9 (inside lights) for $34.19 for a total of $47.08. Shipping was fast, ordered Monday had them on Thursday. I am very pleased with the outcome and love saving $150.

Link for H3 : H3 Fog Lights LED Foglight 12v Car Upgrade Conversion Bulbs kit 60W 6000LM White | eBay

Link for H9s : 2x LASFIT H11 H9 H8 LED Headlight Bulb Kit Low Beam Fog Light 72W 6000K 7600LM | eBay

Always be yourself unless you can be Batman.
    Then be Batman!

• I just want to pass along that you do not always have to go to the Slingshot aftermarket parts stores. A LED headlight conversion can cost as much as $199 at such sites. I went to ebay, got the H3's (outside lights) for $12.89 and the H9 (inside lights) for $34.19 for a total of $47.08. Shipping was fast, ordered Monday had them on Thursday. I am very pleased with the outcome and love saving $150.

Link for H3 : H3 Fog Lights LED Foglight 12v Car Upgrade Conversion Bulbs kit 60W 6000LM White | eBay

Link for H9s : 2x LASFIT H11 H9 H8 LED Headlight Bulb Kit Low Beam Fog Light 72W 6000K 7600LM | eBay

Are these plug and play?

• @Shatneyman as with anything ... yes you can plug it and then go and play. What you want to play is totally up to you.

Thank you for a good morning belly laugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Yes they will plug into the existing wiring harnesses. However with the H3's you will have to make a slight mod to the weather proofing boot. You will have to make about a 3/4", cut remove the existing wires from the boot, and fish the ballast through and make the connection on the outside of the boot. After connection is made I then used electric tape to make sure they do not come apart (it is not a locking connection). I also put a dollop of silicon calk on the hole I made to the boot for extra measure.

Then be Batman!

• Question for everyone running LEDs my H3(outside lights) just burned out both at the same time or at least i noticed them both at the same time.

The fan still works and the drivers are ok too, I tested them with the inner H9 ones.
    It happened today which was hottest day we had, my sling was sitting out in the sun on a parking lot all day and after i got home is that i noticed my outer lights weren't working(dark garage gave them away).

Given the fact that both died at the same time has me concerned on whether i had bad LEDs to begin with or if something else is funky.

My point of concern is that since the H3 are enclosed by the rubber cover, that might prevent the necessary airflow to cool the LED circuitry.

Anyone else had any issues with the outer LEDs dying on them ?

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

I see the Slingmods LED outer lights video shows to cut a slit in the rubber cap and reinstall it then seal up the wires with silicone ????

So ... can someone please explain to me what good the cooling fan built into the bulbs does if it is sealed behind the rubber cap where it cannot get any ambient air ....

You know...since heat kills LED's and the fan is there to keep them cool ..... confused-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Before there is any confusion i do NOT have slingmods LEDs.

So @Orangeman you see my dilemma with as many people have installed these things following that video if being enclosed was killing them, I would assume a lot more people would be complaining.

Since no one is That is what makes me wonder that possibly i had bad LEDs but when both die at the same time that makes you wonder if something else is afoot.

• Before there is any confusion i do NOT have slingmods LEDs.

So @Orangeman you see my dilemma with as many people have installed these things following that video if being enclosed was killing them, I would assume a lot more people would be complaining.

Since no one is That is what makes me wonder that possibly i had bad LEDs but when both die at the same time that makes you wonder if something else is afoot.

I have LED headlights and they fit tight in the can, are sealed on the reflector, have the fans in free air, and run nice and cool. (the fans and connectors are waterproof)

I have seen the question using the boots elsewhere and don't remember what the official answer was to the same question I asked above however I don't see any answer that would make sense ... at least not to me .....

If using the boot does not cause them to go out temporarily on a heat shunt I can guarantee it shortens their life ... probably dramatically ....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• My leds are waterproof. They showed them running in a glass of water. So I removed the rubber boots. LEDs need all the air they can get or it can cause failure or shorten there life.

Dochatley
    Dallas, Texas

Did you put in a vehicle make and model when you ordered these?

:flag_United_States::BLACKSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SUPERCHARGERSS::COILOVERSS:

S O G Member - TRAKHAMR

• Did you put in a vehicle make and model when you ordered these?

if you do that ebay will say they do not fit.

If you get the H3 for the outside and H9 for inner ones you will be fine.

Always remember that cheap LED is the equivalent of playing the lottery, you might luck out and get good ones but more than likely you will get bad ones(short life).

• @Trooper If you are going to go with non brand name LEDs get them from amazon even if you pay a bit more so you have the amazon warranty.

i just replaced mine no questions asked through amazon... i doubt that would have been the case if i bought on ebay.

• @Trooper If you are going to go with non brand name LEDs get them from amazon even if you pay a bit more so you have the amazon warranty.

i just replaced mine no questions asked through amazon... i doubt that would have been the case if i bought on ebay.

Thanks that is a good idea. will do, and that is a good point about ebay.

:flag_United_States::BLACKSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SUPERCHARGERSS::COILOVERSS:

S O G Member - TRAKHAMR

• Trooper,

I just shopped for H3s and H9s. This denotes the type of connector ring they have and they will fit the SS. No need to get vehicle specific bulbs.

After reading the last few post I think that I will cut a hole in the rear of the boot to increase airflow for the fans. Didn't think of that during the install.

Then be Batman!