Tire symmetry or asymmetry? Yes... Another tire thread (or tread)...

• How important is tire symmetry for our one rear wheel?

Now that I have a wheels that I lucked out on the cheap, I'm looking at tires... But...

I see some with treads that are symmetrical, such as Hankook or Toyo, but also see some that are not symmetrical, such as Continental, Nitto, etc...

So... ?(

And to throw another question at these great minds, if rear symmetry is important, what if the front two tires don't match the rear? Brand, style, tread, etc...

• I'm not an expert in tires, but I have slept in a Holiday INN express before. I've used non symmetrical tread pattern tires on the rear of my slinsgshot as well as on a prior reverse trike and had no negative effects. There was no difference in my option. The tracking was the same, and there was no noticable difference in left or right turns at high speeds. Other than for the first 500 miles when I had the stock Kenda tires, I've never had all three match. The important issue in my opinion, is that both gront tires do match each other and that's it, Hope it helsp

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I'm not an expert in tires, but I have slept in a Holiday INN express before. I've used non symmetrical tread pattern tires on the rear of my slinsgshot as well as on a prior reverse trike and had no negative effects. There was no difference in my option. The tracking was the same, and there was no noticable difference in left or right turns at high speeds. Other than for the first 500 miles when I had the stock Kenda tires, I've never had all three match. The important issue in my opinion, is that both gront tires do match each other and that's it, Hope it helps

I want the widest tread width tires that I can find for the fronts and the rear on the stock SL rims

• The only thing I would be careful with on non symmetrical tread pattern is sometimes the tread compound is different on each row of tread. ie. the outside three rows of tread will be a softer compound than the inside portion. I purchased a single rear Bridgestone tire like that and it went fast and wore uneven. I will not do that again.

• I want the widest tread width tires that I can find for the fronts and the rear on the stock SL rims

The widest you can safely mount on the stock rear sl wheel and still be close in height is a 285/30/20 There are a few companies that make them, but be careful before you buy them as they differ in width by almost 3/4" from one company to another. I haven't changed front tire size so I have no input on that one

• I am trying to decide whether to get a bigger stickier rear tire for my stock sl rims or get new rims and even bigger rear tire. I will be adding a rotex supercharger as soon as DDM gets their next batch shipped

• @funinthesundo you look at the individual tire manufacturers to determine fit?

Tirerack.com is a good place to start. But they don't carry all brands. I don't think they carry NITTO's but for the tires they do sell, under the specs tab it shows you what wheel size is needed and the tire tread width and height, so you can go from there. There are other sites, but I used this one the most

• The widest you can safely mount on the stock rear sl wheel and still be close in height is a 285/30/20 There are a few companies that make them, but be careful before you buy them as they differ in width by almost 3/4" from one company to another. I haven't changed front tire size so I have no input on that one

I am going to go with the BFG Comp 2 (Summer) on the fronts and the rear. They are the same tread width as the stock Kenda's. 10 inch tread width width on the rear. Looks like about everything else runs from about 8 3/4 to 9 inch until you get into the big money tires. The BFG 265-35-18 is 10 1/2 inch --- the 255-35-20 is 10 inch this is tread width, not tire width.

• @MACAWS
    I run the base 18's all around at this point. I have run 305 30 20's on the rear and was not impressed with the traction because I think it spreads the weight out to much. My belief is we can get better traction like the high HP cars from the past with a taller tire that has good width to allow for the tire to flex and grip. I am looking at the Nitto555G2 295 45 18 that has a tread width of 11.6 inches and 28.4 inches tall. What is your opinion on this setup?

• @MACAWS
    I run the base 18's all around at this point. I have run 305 30 20's on the rear and was not impressed with the traction because I think it spreads the weight out to much. My belief is we can get better traction like the high HP cars from the past with a taller tire that has good width to allow for the tire to flex and grip. I am looking at the Nitto555G2 295 45 18 that has a tread width of 11.6 inches and 28.4 inches tall. What is your opinion on this setup?

I would have to check but I think that is pretty close to the BFG's so it should work very well. I am getting a second set of stock base rims and thinking of trying the Nitto's.
    I just have had such great luck with the BFG's I hate to switch.

And I agree 100% with the old school thinking. best performance I have found so far. I wish I could run the 18's all around but that would make loading the SS in my trailer a chore with less than 1/2" on each side. With the sway bar and QA1's the front end is pretty stout and the 17's perform well. Wish I had added the front stiffener when it was available.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I would have to check but I think that is pretty close to the BFG's so it should work very well. I am getting a second set of stock base rims and thinking of trying the Nitto's.I just have had such great luck with the BFG's I hate to switch.

And I agree 100% with the old school thinking. best performance I have found so far. I wish I could run the 18's all around but that would make loading the SS in my trailer a chore with less than 1/2" on each side. With the sway bar and QA1's the front end is pretty stout and the 17's perform well. Wish I had added the front stiffener when it was available.

Rist posted a couple of days ago and said that he still has 2 of front stiffeners.

• I would have to check but I think that is pretty close to the BFG's so it should work very well. I am getting a second set of stock base rims and thinking of trying the Nitto's.I just have had such great luck with the BFG's I hate to switch.

Maybe your second set could be 18's used for the track, they turn in really well. The only drawback I have seen is they want to follow the grooves in the road which is worth putting up with for the added performance.