Learning to drive a manual (insert all unholy expletives here)

• My experience with a manual transmission has only been since the SlingShot. :/ With that being said, we got it in August and parked it in November for winter months... I had driven short trips, parking lots, side roads, and gotten comfortable with the clutch as to when it engages when released... but apparently over the winter months, my foot forgot, "smooth operator" it is not. Steve has offered me to drive this year, but I would turn the offer down, as I was unfamiliar with the road and where we were, and how the layout of turns, land, and stops that might be predicted on a more familiar route.
    Anywho... this is my first ride of the year. :thumbdown::cursing::00008862:

Not as skilled as others, but SlingShot didnt die... and neither did we so.... technically I did good right?????
    I await the uncontrolled laughter and embarrassment from my fellow skilled peers. :00007579: <-------( @Tripod )

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• Angel you did great! Just shift into 5th at above 50 on the highway. You will get better gas mileage. You are headed in the right direction with your driving.

• Fantastic job @Guardian_Angel!!! The only thing that might change would be @airoutlaw upping his Nic level in his e-juice to calm his riding experiences while you slap that stick through it's paces!!! Heck, I'm an old hand at driving stick, and I've actually stalled my Sling twice, starting off from a couple stop signs. Granted, I was driving at 5:00am in 30 degree temps, so the legs didn't quite jibe with the brain, but I still stalled it none the less.
    Keep up the good work and hopefully my wife and I will have the honor of meeting you and @airoutlaw some day!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• @roadog1aj LOL

I really like that increasing the nicotine idea.... yes, I make him more nervous than a long tailed cat in a room full of rockin chairs....

Our work schedule for the year puts us available for SSITS event only this year as far as group events... but there is always hope! Thanks for the kind words.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• awesome, you'll be driving a TT unit next :)

umm...is that pronounced titty, or teetee.......forgive my ignornce.....after all...I've been told I have the mind of a 13 year old......... :00007572:

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• you are soooo bad, :D I meant tractor trailer, really, I did 8)

Oh....I see it now!!!!.....who'd a thunk it.........Snicker, Snicker.........

• Hang in there with it you're doing good. But practice practice practice. Before you know it you will be driving that sling like a pro.

You know your getting old when your wife says "Honey lets run upstairs and make love" and your answer is " I can not do both"

• @Guardian_Angel, you are doing fine my beautiful. A little more road time and you can have "The Rattler" at SSITS 2016 for motivation. I will be your cameraman.

My "pucker string" hasn't missed a flinch... it's the elasticity of said device that concerns me.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• thanks for the encouragement yall... yall make a manually challenged gal feel special!

And no worries, I wont be driving at group rides at maggie valley, no way Hose`!

• Angela,

Looks like you did great to me. I agree he certainly was puffing an awful lot. ;)

I have not driven ours this year yet but I am going to jump back in the drivers seat.

Devon says I shift to hard. Have to work on that I guess. LOL

I personally hate to have to stop on an incline. Always afraid I will roll backwards into someone.

Highway driving is easy to me. It is the in town driving I need to work on.

• Devonpam, I second that! Need more experience with it for sure :S:cursing:
    And he always puffs like that, even when Im driving an automatic :00008356:

• You're doing really good @Guardian_Angel. I've driven manuals for most of my driving career and when I first got the SS I still had to learn how to shift it. Each vehicle is a little different. @devonpam I think that the SS, mine at least, requires a more aggressive shifting style to be smooth.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Ben Franklin)

2002 FatBoy FLSTF
    2016 Polaris Slingshot

• My experience with a manual transmission has only been since the SlingShot. :/ With that being said, we got it in August and parked it in November for winter months... I had driven short trips, parking lots, side roads, and gotten comfortable with the clutch as to when it engages when released... but apparently over the winter months, my foot forgot, "smooth operator" it is not. Steve has offered me to drive this year, but I would turn the offer down, as I was unfamiliar with the road and where we were, and how the layout of turns, land, and stops that might be predicted on a more familiar route.
    Anywho... this is my first ride of the year. :thumbdown::cursing::00008862:

Not as skilled as others, but SlingShot didnt die... and neither did we so.... technically I did good right?????
    I await the uncontrolled laughter and embarrassment from my fellow skilled peers. :00007579: <-------( @Tripod )

My question????? Living in AL how can you park a Slingshot. I'm about as far North in Indiana as a Slingshot can get and I've put 2000 miles on mine in our area. Last weekend I drove to South Caroline for the weekend, just thought I'd go South so I
    can find 'warm' weather. Great ride meet some new people and some I've talked to on the forums.