New noise that probably shouldn't be

• I couldn't find a thread on this noise, so I'm hoping someone knows what this is....

Driving tonight, I heard a noise I haven't heard before. Just happened to have my radio off, at slow speed, and....

- Knocking noise, not overly metallic, not sharp pitched. Kind of like my son is tapping on the plastic bottom of the Sling with his plastic hammer.
    - Sounds like maybe coming from centerline under the main body, or perhaps just behind seat.
    - Light force. Can't feel vibration. Only hear it at 20 mph and below before vehicle and road noise drowns it out.
    - Not tied to braking, accelerating, tire speed, or engine rpm. Doesn't sound all the time. Drove 100 ft without it, then 15 times in 10 seconds. Arrhythmic, no standard tempo.
    - Not tied to road surface. Got it in smooth parking lot and slightly bumpy asphalt with no change in randomness.
    - No discernable change in handling (I think?) and no lights or indications.
    - Nothing visibly hung up under body of Sling, although did not look closely in belt area, since it doesn't act like it's related to the belt.

So...anyone have any ideas?

• u-bolt strap?... one strap could be slightly loose. Just enough to cause an audible noise?
    You did say it sounded like from mid-point underneath?

Sooooo hard to diagnose something like this.....

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Thank you!!!! I will laugh for him since he hasn't seen any of the classics.... "Holy Grail" "Young Frankenstein" and "Spaceballs" included. Maybe you will have better luck convincing him to watch them.

He needs to watch ALL of those (with ludicrous speed! :D )...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• u-bolt strap?... one strap could be slightly loose. Just enough to cause an audible noise?
    You did say it sounded like from mid-point underneath?

Sooooo hard to diagnose something like this.....

Come visit. I'll take you for a ride. My wife will cook for you. We'll steal your new top prototype. Good times had by all.

• if you have ever taken the side panel off and not reseated them properly or the screws have not made full contact they will give you like a knocking on the door sound. Remember never to over tighten these screws as they will break the plastic tabs and like Jesse Ventura said
    "This s**t’s something....
    It makes Cambodia look like Kansas.”

• Strange new noise troubleshooting sequence:
    1) Isolate area of origin
    2) Thoroughly clean said area
    3) Check fasteners for proper torque
    4) Lubricate serviceable items
    5) Test drive
    6) If noise persists turn stereo up and drive it like you stole it until it becomes obvious to any 3 year old what the problem is. Because then and only then will most dealers know exactly what the problem is instead of guessing. And if you get lucky they just might have the parts in stock to fix it. :thumbsup:

• @KayTwo, any luck finding noise source yet?!

No, I haven't really had a chance to try. I walked around it during the day, looking for something obvious. I havent gone looking for loose panels or fasteners yet, although I need to. I've never taken any of them off yet, though. I do need the check the battery compartment - again, haven't done it. Haven't made the time.

I do like @Slunglow's idea, though, or at least step 6. I can DO that.