New approach for a SlingShot top...

• Thought some of you guys might be interested in some other thoughts i have for later down the road. Please do not think I have this top design even worked out for a Slingshot just yet but you should always thinking well ahead when starting something new and where it might go. This is the Surrey top design I did on the Spitfire I restored back in 2013. Sold it to do the SlingShot. The Surrey was basically a Targa top for a Spitfire with the ability to switch from a hard top front section to a flip back soft top front section. @kenny_h had made a comment the other weekend asking about another option for the design. This gives him a little idea of my thinking for the future.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• How much for the Spitfire? Love that !

• @Nemesis1701 Spitfire value is not that much... Very cheap to buy into and play. They are going up in value. I purchased it as a restoration project for $600. Amazed that I had almost no rust to deal with so I was able to make money on it when I sold it for $3800.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• @Nemesis1701 Spitfire value is not that much... Very cheap to buy into and play. They are going up in value. I purchased it as a restoration project for $600. Amazed that I had almost no rust to deal with so I was able to make money on it when I sold it for $3800.

Real quick.....not to hijack but this is a pic of a similar one I completely restored many years ago.

• @Nemesis - very nice!

@Ruptured Duck - I am very excited to see this. I'm not a fan of the current shade options out there, and was wondering if there was something akin to a bikini top available that didn't reduce the sportiness of the SS. You have made it, man. Looking forward to hearing when they are available. Seriously nice design.

• I am really liking your "Bimini" top look! I did read correctly it will work with other windshields...color options are great...how about storing it while riding if you want to go........Topless? Mesh top is quite fashionable these days...

• I am really liking your "Bimini" top look! I did read correctly it will work with other windshields...color options are great...how about storing it while riding if you want to go........Topless? Mesh top is quite fashionable these days...

@DKF Texas the plan is to make sure it works with all OE W/S first and back into others. The really supper tall ones may cause an issue but most should work. Really no way to account for all designs but will do my best.
    As for storing it is designed to be light weight and super easy to remove. The other weekend we did the tail of the dragon. Had the top on when we get to the tail . Two knobs were removed, top pulled off (one person) and set to the side. Ran up the tail and back down. Under 5 minutes and top was back on for the rest of the day. Can easily hang on the wall when not used or pitched into your hotel room on long weekend trips.
    Now the top is secured using Velcro so you could rip it off and just have the frame on the SS. Top could be folded and placed in the storage boot. It would take a little pulling and tugging to put it back on but not a deal breaker if you really wanted to.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Now the top is secured using Velcro so you could rip it off and just have the frame on the SS. Top could be folded and placed in the storage boot. It would take a little pulling and tugging to put it back on but not a deal breaker if you really wanted to.

This for me is a selling point. One solid tarp for anticipated rain or inclement weather. One mesh one for general shade & sun protection.

Less of a deal breaker, more of a deal maker :thumbup:

• This for me is a selling point. One solid tarp for anticipated rain or inclement weather. One mesh one for general shade & sun protection.
    Less of a deal breaker, more of a deal maker :thumbup:

ok... the next version will make it easier as the plan has always been to be able to remove the solid top with a mesh on the go depending on the heat and sun. Will make sure I work with my canvas guy to make removal easier now that we have a pattern down. Please excuse the rubbed off paint of the prototype frame. I may have put the top on before the paint had dried fully. Didn't want to spend money on powder coating just yet. The provisional patent application has in the claims the use of any number of fasteners to secure the top to the frame. At this time Velcro is the leading approach but final version is not locked in. It might be a combination of several. When writing a patent you have to be very inclusive without pigeon holing your self.

(Slingshot Owners Group)