Old rider, new to me idea of slingshot

• So I've been retired a few years and realize that the sun is setting on my motorcycle riding days. (around 50 years riding when the time comes) I like to plan ahead, and have been looking for a honda civic type R, corolla GR, new integra S, for when the time comes to be down to one bike I maybe just sit on and look at in the garage (it will be the Duke 690), I was out zooming about on the duke, finished a corner and came up fast on a can-am spyder, he same me coming and lite it up, and I had to work to keep with him on the duke. So I though maybe this 3 (4) wheels things is next, I had no idea they were that fast. So to those of you have logged 10k miles or more on each. How does it compair? I think the motorcycle seating/handlebars of the can-am would just make me remember what it is not.

• when I was thinking about going to three wheels the choice between the Slingshot or a Spyder pretty much came down to my wife - - My Sara is not a big fan of the sun and wind in her face like I am, but one thing she was dead set against was having to sit behind me. She would much rather sit next to me and for this reason the Slingshot became the obvious choice. No, it's not the same as riding on two wheels, I actually find it much more relaxing. love my slingshot. I actually gave away my car the day I brought the slingshot home and the Sling has been my daily driver every day since - over 6 years now, rain or shine and I LOVE IT!

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• 100% agreed.

I have had 6 bikes in my past, from sport bikes to HD's - and the wife would also prefer to sit next to me and be able to chat.

The Slingshot was the perfect choice.

.::. Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it .::.

• My wife rode with me till our son was born, then we agreed he should not lose both parents at once (way more likely bike vs car) and she stopped. Hasn't wanted to restart so it will just be a me pretending im 19 again vehicle.

• My first bike was in May, 1964. I still have the token Harley, have not been on it in two years. I also have two Slingshot's, a 2015 with 104,000 miles and a 2016 with around 36,000 miles. Looks like I will have to give the 2013 Softtail Slim away, no one is interested.

• My first bike was in May, 1964. I still have the token Harley, have not been on it in two years. I also have two Slingshot's, a 2015 with 104,000 miles and a 2016 with around 36,000 miles. Looks like I will have to give the 2013 Softtail Slim away, no one is interested.

My 2000 Harely Springer Hertiage is in living room ..Could not sell it for price and was not going to give it away..

So it is living room art and up to wife after I pass to what ever...

If I get Slingshot completed by late summer I may bring it out for short rides..

I have two bad knees and right arm going numb at times...

But would luv to hear it run and go through a few covered bridges

for the rides I remember years ago...Me in 2006 when younger and did not feel old..LOL

• I hear ya about things going numb. I've got carpel tunnel in my left wrist so somethings I can't tell if I've moved the clutch lever without looking at my hand. For those days I have an Africa Twin with an automatic transmission.

• Ride mc's for 50+ years every year. Wife and I were big touring people. Even hauling a timeout camper for many years. She had a hard time getting on and off the wing. Went to test ride a sling November 2014. Came out of the dealer and she said You didn't buy that thing did you? I did buy it. 2015 sling delivered 12/20/14. She ride in it for 2 weeks. We sold the wing the following year. It had 101,000 miles on it. I never missed the 2 wheeler since. I'm 74 now and heading to ssits in a week. Unfortunately wife has passed.

• It was time to sell the Harley when I no longer knew if my knee was going to hold at a stop light. So it was either the spider or the Slingshot. The Slingshot dealer was the first stop and the bank was the second. Never made it to the Spyder dealer. Won't be driving it till this fall mayb the right knee is being replaced the 24th and the left as soon as they think the right is ready to take over.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• So I've been retired a few years and realize that the sun is setting on my motorcycle riding days. (around 50 years riding when the time comes) I like to plan ahead, and have been looking for a honda civic type R, corolla GR, new integra S, for when the time comes to be down to one bike I maybe just sit on and look at in the garage (it will be the Duke 690), I was out zooming about on the duke, finished a corner and came up fast on a can-am spyder, he same me coming and lite it up, and I had to work to keep with him on the duke. So I though maybe this 3 (4) wheels things is next, I had no idea they were that fast. So to those of you have logged 10k miles or more on each. How does it compair? I think the motorcycle seating/handlebars of the can-am would just make me remember what it is not.

I did not start riding motorcycles unit age 50---250,000 miles on Gold Wings and at 71 went to a Slingshot. Bought first one in Feb 2015 and now have 120,000+ miles in the seat of a Slingshot. Love every mile more that the one before. For my thought, look at a gen 1 Slingshot --- 2015 thru 2019. If I every get another one it will be in that range.

• [quote='THX1138','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/11076-old-rider-new-to-me-idea-of-slingshot/&postID=387244#post387244']

Well, well, well, I just learned about the Campagna T-Rex. Thoughs?

[/quote]

EXTREMELY close to the ground. Basically a Kawasaki motorcycle with 2 low seats in front. Gas tank under passenger seat. One of the local guys has one and while it's cool, I can't recommend it for anyone without a death wish.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• THX1138

My apologies to you. You asked a question about another vehicle and I provided my opinion. I had just written an Editorial that we should not be chastising our friends but should instead help them make informed decisions. I apologize to you because I just did that.

The Campagna T-Rex has been around for quite a while. I believe that it was the true inspiration for the Slingshot.

It uses a Kawasaki engine. I believe that they actually buy a full Kawasaki motorcycle and cut it up, using the engine and drive train (I remember seeing a TV show on it once). There are 2 passenger seats inside the cockpit and the seats are extremely low to the ground. The fuel tank is located under the passenger seat. All foot controls are in the front nose, ahead of the front tires. The gentleman that has one around here comes to some of the Slingshot shows so we got to see it up close. I have never sat in it because of it being so low.

(BTW, those orange highlights above are links to the other articles or websites.)

• Oh, and BTW, speaking of "both parents living" - The SS is EXTREMELY safe.

I bought the 4th Slingshot in Central Texas back in 2015. It was totaled in 3-1/2 months - not my fault - Mustang turned in front of me and I T-Boned him at 55mph (think exactly like the James Dean crash). You can read the article here on the other site. The engine dropped down and to the side, the front frame crushed in, but the cockpit area actually bowed out away from the passenger. Steering wheel completely bent in around column. Shrapnel and seat belt did the damage to me and I lived with minor injuries (broken bone in foot where it slammed up into pedals, ripped muscles in back, LOTS of bruising). But fact is, I LIVED. And now I'm on SS #3.