• Well, I've been retired for a couple weeks now and it is kicking my butt. I freaking hate it. I've done everything I can around the house, to include paint rooms, fix an older pellet stove, all cooking and cleaning. I play golf for 2-3 hours a day with my Skytrak simulator,.. plus drink beer. Sounds fun but I'm bored. A local company wants me to run or oversee their second shift,.. 2pm-10pm or 3pm-11pm. I'm up till then anyways, no running of machines, just supervising their work. It includes a credit card, company phone and starts at $80k with all kinds of benefits. I still get my pension so that means I get to spend that on more cars. I think I'll unretire myself for a little while and have a reason to get out of bed. Stay safe everyone

• Well, I've been retired for a couple weeks now and it is kicking my butt. I freaking hate it. I've done everything I can around the house, to include paint rooms, fix an older pellet stove, all cooking and cleaning. I play golf for 2-3 hours a day with my Skytrak simulator,.. plus drink beer. Sounds fun but I'm bored. A local company wants me to run or oversee their second shift,.. 2pm-10pm or 3pm-11pm. I'm up till then anyways, no running of machines, just supervising their work. It includes a credit card, company phone and starts at $80k with all kinds of benefits. I still get my pension so that means I get to spend that on more cars. I think I'll unretire myself for a little while and have a reason to get out of bed. Stay safe everyone

Hmmm, retired for 12 years now and love it. If I get bored I'll go for a ride.

• It is not for everyone !!!!

10 yrs retired here and wish I could have done it earlier..

With all the building I do and hobbies I have sure do enjoy the time I have.

My only thing is not enough warm weather..

Building a wood slot car track right now and painted some auto primer and my wife

is upset with the smell...To cold to paint outside so I push it sometimes inside

and she is right but I want things done now and not tomorrow...

But if you are one who needs to work then I suggest you start looking...LOL

The first couple of weeks is not a good indicator of retirement..... because one is still working in their brain and it just feels like vacation.... I get the feeling though... I have a really good friend who bought a really nice motorhome, then went back to work and now complains that he doesn't have time to use it... he is 73...

There is no need to do everything that has to be done right away, because there is lots of time (why do today what you can put off till tomorrow)... I have been retired for almost 5 years now and it is the best thing (for me) that I have ever done. When I first retired they offered me a contracting job to come back and do what I was doing... I am so glad I didn't take it... Like most, I started working when I was around 14 and have worked every work day of my life.... For. me there has to be more to this world than work... and luckily I have managed to figure out what that is... Riding, hiking, kayaking, and tons of other stuff (and of course things around the house).

If you give it some time you may find out that you will find that the reason to get out of bed is to live and enjoy, and not have some asshat like me coming to you with silly problems (we have all said, you wouldn't believe the ID 10 T at work today)..... Just two cents (or 5 cents with inflation) from the peanut gallery.

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

Dean, you could come down to Daytona for Bike week to get out of the cold and snow. I'll even allow you to paint our place while you're here. Always willing to help you transition ti retired life one step at a time

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I have been retired since Nov. 5,2005. I loved every day of it and have had something going on that I wanted to do most of the time. The past 1 1/2 years I have had some problems which are no fun and the back is giving me hell now. That stops a lot of things. For the past few weeks I have been putting together some car models that I have had since the 1970's. I am 74, I tried to go for a ride in the Sling on Tuesday. I made it about 2 miles and had to come back home because of the back pain. I rode it around for the next three day's with no problems. I have loved every minute of retirement!

• Here is few pictures of my first attempt of building slot car track...

You sure learn fast from router mistakes and ways to do the routing.

I am building a road rally track with mountains like my railroad was all made of

alumium foil for ease to move if something happens to me and someone

wants to take it apart and reuse it..

• The old Hot Rod just sits in the playroom on 6 ton jack stands, the Harley has not been out in over two years. I was going to take Sling II out this week, but the original battery finally gave up. I have the big battery kit for it, but I think I will put the original size battery back in it. So I have had Sling I out for four days this week.

• I raced slot cars when in high school and then again when I was at NAS Memphis. They had two big tracks for the larger cars and it was a lot of fun. I never competed very as being a E2 I had very little spending money and most of the guys were racing very modified cars. $27.50 a month pay doesn't buy many mods.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• The old Hot Rod just sits in the playroom on 6 ton jack stands, the Harley has not been out in over two years. I was going to take Sling II out this week, but the original battery finally gave up. I have the big battery kit for it, but I think I will put the original size battery back in it. So I have had Sling I out for four days this week.

Batteries Plus has some for about $130.00 that are the OEM size and hold up well. Usually on the shelf.

I just sold both 17foot long fiberglas sea kayaks at 71 shoulders are shot and could not carry or paddle like I wanted to ..Yikes The Harley has been in the house since new from 2000 and I would take it out of living room every 2 years now been 5 years and hoping this year to bring it out... Yikes....Just purchased a electric riding mower to

replace the old push mower because the knees are shot..Yikes.......You will see in pictures I did shot guns in basement ... Arm goes numb and shoulders are shot...Yikes..

Bought the Vanderhalls while doing the body on Slingshot and being automatic OMG how much longer can I push the clutch pedal...Yikes...Only tine will tell...LOL

But Retirement is still fun and like doing what I can do and memories and pictures of yester years are enjoyable to have ....

Shatneyman retirement is a state of mind - not the lack of employment. I started collecting unemployment when I turned 62 last year but since I still own rental properties, I call myself self-unemployed instead of retired. Since I haven't had a regular job for over 20 years, I have my routine down and have a full life. It sounds like your daily routine is plenty to keep you busy but doesn't replace the structure you are used to with your job. I have a friend who sold his excavation company last year that feels the same as you. He's always busy at his place but he's bored. In my humble opinion the key is to spend your time at what you want to be doing and not what you think you should be doing. If you want to work on the house, do. If you don't, don't. Plan some trips so you have something on the calendar to look forward to. I spend some days just cooking stuff I want to eat. Putter on the cars out in the garage. Meet friends for breakfast or lunch. Downtime in front of the TV or watching birds is OK. Winters are tough without the outdoor activities that I prefer, but if it's winter, summer is coming!

I think one of the biggest retirement adjustments is the lack of a paycheck and I didn't go through that either. It sounds like you got a killer job offer for where you're at in life. At least you have an option even if it prevents your move south (I'm still willing to be your driver). I know I couldn't and wouldn't spend 40 hours a week doing stuff for money - I've found more important things to do with my time. Having had a stroke might influence the way I think - life is so short when you get right down to it.

Best of luck and keep us posted. Peace to you!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I just sold both 17foot long fiberglas sea kayaks at 71 shoulders are shot and could not carry or paddle like I wanted to ..Yikes The Harley has been in the house since new from 2000 and I would take it out of living room every 2 years now been 5 years and hoping this year to bring it out... Yikes....Just purchased a electric riding mower to

replace the old push mower because the knees are shot..Yikes.......You will see in pictures I did shot guns in basement ... Arm goes numb and shoulders are shot...Yikes..

Bought the Vanderhalls while doing the body on Slingshot and being automatic OMG how much longer can I push the clutch pedal...Yikes...Only tine will tell...LOL

But Retirement is still fun and like doing what I can do and memories and pictures of yester years are enjoyable to have ....

Me too... yikes... :) I have had some repairs done so I am still able to "get around" a bit better... 3 rotator cuffs, 4 back surgeries... 2 Laminectomies, 2 diskectomy's so I am "OK" for 70...

I no longer have the kayaks... It is a bit more expensive, but I rent them... as to the knees... I have been lucky.. they only time they gave me problems was during the time I was a lineman and kneeled and squatted down a lot...

Retirement is fun (for me) and I still try to make a bunch of memories and take pictures all the time...

There is nothing like a nice day.. hiking, taking pictures of Elk, Coyotes, and just other cool stuff. Enjoy.

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• Pics please..............

There are pictures on here somewhere already 1935 Slantback 2 door. Everything is Chevy. 1974 350 truck motor with a 400 trans and a 68 Camaro rear and a Corvair front. Was built in 1974 in Decatur, Al. by Dwight Gooch and paint is hand rubbed black lacquer, I have put 100,000 miles on it. I bought it in 1990 as a show car.

• Me too... yikes... :) I have had some repairs done so I am still able to "get around" a bit better... 3 rotator cuffs, 4 back surgeries... 2 Laminectomies, 2 diskectomy's so I am "OK" for 70...

I no longer have the kayaks... It is a bit more expensive, but I rent them... as to the knees... I have been lucky.. they only time they gave me problems was during the time I was a lineman and kneeled and squatted down a lot...

Retirement is fun (for me) and I still try to make a bunch of memories and take pictures all the time...

There is nothing like a nice day.. hiking, taking pictures of Elk, Coyotes, and just other cool stuff. Enjoy.

I was a mole in navy condensers and pipes 24" dia for 42 yrs and all those sharp steel edges has caught up to me..

I do so much kneeling everything I build and get shots every 6 months to allow me to keep going..

But I can not walk over a mile so give and take to what is important ..

Right now building more important than walking those mountain passes from years ago..

• If I do something like changing tires I am cripple for the next 3 or 4 days now. Cannot work at all sitting on the floor or leaning over like working on an engine now. I have worked on all of my cars and motorcycles since 1964 when I got my first motorcycle. I have done everything except transmission and rear end repair.

• Momma is going for a senior VP job, if she gets it, her pension will be even better. Downside is she needs to stay for 3-5 years. If I take this other job, it's at night and all I do is make sure everyone is working. Still have my days to do whatever I want. The funny thing is, I know what the company makes, electrical transformers, but have no idea how to do it. They told me they are looking for a leader not a builder. Just walking through the buildings making sure production is met. I'm 54, soon to be 55, but after fixing a few medical problems I've had, I feel great. Minus the reading glasses I need now, 1.5, I can keep up with my 18-year-old son. That really pisses him off. I exercise semi regularly, pushups, sit ups, a little weight once in a while, I run, not long distance, just a mile or 2 at a time. The 80k I'll make will help get more vehicles and help maintain the ones I have; Insurance is just stupid on 8 vehicles. Plus, I think this job will keep my mind sharp. This position feels right, retirement doesn't. If I want out, I can always get done and no harm. Does this sound dumb?