What do you carry

• I agree - once upon a time I felt the exact same way - yet here we are where government’s primary job is to protect the public and are failing miserably. It never crossed my mind for many years of carrying a weapon to the grocery store. Now I would rather carry one than get caught short when I needed it. Still hope I never am in a scenario whereby I would have to shoot anybody - but that is better than myself or a loved one get shot or stabbed!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• For those of you that do carry - do you have insurance? I use these guys - https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

I'll admit, it's mostly for my wife and me knowing that Italian side of her, but I'm glad I have it as well with all the things going on these days. Seeing first hand what can happen after a firearm incident, the coverage is needed. Also don't carry "safe queens" or guns that if used you actually want back. IF that happens it's years and not all of them come back to the owner even if you don't end up in jail for using. Like you all I hope to never have to use, but leaving the house without it is like leaving without my wallet these days - not going to happen often!

• It's not a 'need' to carry. It's a desire, and not everyone chooses the same.

Choice is the operative word here. They can't take away our right to choose - we just might have to choose whether or not to follow the law. Still a choice!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• If it were legal here (it's not) I would prefer to open carry. I have owned guns all my life and love shooting and if I were ever to choose to carry a gun for protection I truly believe the sight of something along the lines of a Smith & Wesson Model 629 with a 7 1/5 inch barrel hanging in a holster on my hip would serve as a huge deterrent to anyone thinking of doing something stupid - - its like when people say that the sign in front of your home telling the world that you have an alarm does more to stop a crime than the alarm itself - - and personally I would rather have the bad guy change his mind and walk away because he saw me and what I was carrying than to have to actually pull out a concealed gun and try to stop him after he starts

Fortunately I have never felt the need to conceal carry, not only have I never felt the need, but also here in California getting a permit has been very difficult - I hear that with our current county sheriff it is now fairly easy, but I still don't really feel enough need to go through all steps involved, in 65 years I have never even witnessed a situation when I was out and about that would have called for the need of a gun. Seriously in the past I have been in some of Southern California's roughest neighborhoods even at night and on foot and never have I seen anything happen to myself or anyone else where I would have felt more comfortable if I had had a gun. - perhaps I have just been lucky, but it is what it is

Yes - my wife and I have guns, we do feel that society as it is right now is only one step away from going over the edge. If & when it goes over that edge we feel it is highly likely that we may need lock down and defend our home and to defend ourselves - - - and when that happens we are prepared to do so. Also if & when that happens I feel pretty safe in saying that no one is going to stop me from open carrying if I need to go out - most likely my 9mm carbine

just over this past year watching the SHTF across this country has only served to reinforce my belief that having guns and a good supply of ammo is as important if not more important than having home and auto insurance - - all necessary things that we have and pay for but pray to God that we really never need. And all things that you damn well better get before something goes wrong, because if you wait until you actually need any of them - - your screwed

JMO

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• We have open carry in LA and I have only seen a handful of people other than LEO do it. The problem with open carry is if a nut is dead set on killing a bunch of folks - who do you think they are gonna shoot first??? I am the same - I never have been in a position - not even any of my friends - where they needed a firearm to resolve an issue. With society the way it is heading I’m in the concealed carry - rather be safe than sorry camp.

• Little NAA 5 shot .22 is always in my pocket at home and away. .22 not enough? Beats the hell out of a .45 at home in a locked safe. 8 shot revolver in the driver's side door pocket. Ever try to get something out of your pants pocket with a seat belt on? Darn near impossible.

Going into Walmart, Fareway or a bank with a mask on and a gun in your pocket seems odd, at first. You get used to it in no time.

• Open carry is also legal in WA but, again, it is a choice few people make. It is generally socially unacceptable in an urban environment. It upsets people who don't see it daily and, in my opinion, the negatives (one of which Bill Martin expounded upon above) outweigh the positives. It does remove the worries about flashing your weapon in the event of a wardrobe malfunction however. In smaller towns it's not as big of a deal. I have open-carried on occasion during hunting season if I choose to carry a sidearm. Usually just going to and from my truck for gas or food. No big deal - nobody in their right mind would dick with a guy in full camo during hunting season anyway.

• We have open carry in LA and I have only seen a handful of people other than LEO do it. The problem with open carry is if a nut is dead set on killing a bunch of folks - who do you think they are gonna shoot first??? I am the same - I never have been in a position - not even any of my friends - where they needed a firearm to resolve an issue. With society the way it is heading I’m in the concealed carry - rather be safe than sorry camp.

Bill Martin Yes - I have thought about the fact that open carry could make a person a target, but still think that the deterrent factor might out weigh that - - like I said above open carry isn't even legal here so unless the SHTF I wont be testing it anyway - - - and if the shit does hit the fan and I need to go out whatever weapon I take wont be holstered or out of sight - it will be in my hands and ready

As a side note I think the isolation from the major metropolitan areas that living here in Palm Springs provides gives us an extra layer of separation from the crazy that seems to be increasing in this country - - - just the mindset that makes people want to live here away from things and in the extreme heat seems to be something that leads to a much more kick backed attitude - - and also if the crazies do want to come here and make trouble they have to go out of their way and drive for an hour or more

anyway - you choose to carry and at this point I don't, but either way at least we both have the insurance we feel comfortable with - - much better than getting caught with our pants down if something does go wrong

• I have pulled a gun out of concealed carry mode twice in my life. Both times, the firearm was pointed directly at the scum bag with my finger on the trigger. Both times, there was a rapid “change of attitude” on their part. In both cases, I was prepared to pull the trigger & face the consequences. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. I ALWAYS carry...

The first time was in 1978 in NM. Riding my Harley & some redneck in a pickup truck kept intentionally trying to run me off the road. I pulled a 1911, pointed it at him, & he changed his mind. Never reported the incident to police.

About twenty years or so later, southern Indiana at a rest stop on I-65: 4 large black men came into the bathroom. One leaned against the door to hold it shut. There was myself & an elderly man in the bathroom. The “leader” started walking towards us saying we needed to pay a little fine on their turf. I pulled a Ruger SP101 .357, pointed it at him & cocked the hammer (I didn’t say a word). His eyes got as big as saucer plates. He put his hands in the air & said, “Hey, we’re all good!” They absolutely HAULED ASS out of there. I let ‘em go. Didn’t have time to deal with the cops - was on my way to my Grandma’s funeral. The elderly man was shaking & crying after they left & gave me a big hug.

You just never know when you’re going to need to protect yourself. Things can go south rather quickly.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Well I’ll be damned - now I know somebody that had to pull their firearm. For those of you that haven’t met the infamous Tripod he is one of the kindest, gentlest individuals you will ever meet. If it can happen to him TWICE - it could happen to anybody at any given time !! Glad you didn’t have to pull the trigger my friend !!!

• Some years back I had to pull my dog

It was about 11 at night and a couple of punks started pounding on my front door yelling and screaming - after letting them pound for about 5 minutes they seemed to get tired and started to walk away, I had been watching them on the camera and there was a third guy standing out by the end of the driveway acting like a look out, anyway, it seemed pretty clear that they were planning on pushing their way in if I opened the door so as soon as I saw them back a bit away I opened the door and let my boy Chubby out

Chubby was a 90+ pound Rottweiler, Shepherd, Lab mix and the sweetest dog you could ever know, but he was also very protective

Anyway I let him out and said "Get um Chubby" - - That dang dog chased them all the way down the street, several houses until I finally yelled at him to stop (I was actually afraid he wasn't going to) all I heard from those punks as they ran their asses off was "Oh Shit - - Run!!!!!"

pretty sure they soiled their pants - - Chubby was acting like he was planning on doing some serious chewing if I had let him keep going

This is Chubby

i-7xSVxQG-XL.jpg

As a side note, these days I don't think I would do the same thing with Bolt - - not sure he would stop, especially if my wife were home.

Probably better just to stay inside and get one of the guns 8o

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• https://www.foxnews.com/us/chi…rmit-kills-suspect-report

The last time this happened (that I am aware of) the City of Chicago in their infinite wisdom charged the concealed carry guy with Discharging a Firearm Within the City Limits. I followed that case and the guy plea bargained down to Disturbing the Peace and paid a fine. I’ll be following this as best I can and update!!!

• I pulled a Ruger SP101 .357, pointed it at him & cocked the hammer (I didn’t say a word).

As the young men in my life come of age and make their decision about whether or not they want to carry, I have always offered two pieces of advice unrelated to trigger control or target acquisition. The 1st is, NEVER pull out a firearm, point it at someone and bark orders, expecting them to be followed. If the bad guy does not comply, what is your next move? That should have already been decided and is the reason your weapon is deployed. It's not TV and there is no script to follow. You are now in survival mode. Period. The 2nd is that the more people there are around you, the more dangerous that pistol is when it leaves the holster. If you are with a group of friends, family, or simply in a place with people around, you better be damn sure of what you're doing if you break leather, and it should be done quickly and concisely. The better option is almost always to remove yourself and your loved ones from the situation.

• As the young men in my life come of age and make their decision about whether or not they want to carry, I have always offered two pieces of advice unrelated to trigger control or target acquisition. The 1st is, NEVER pull out a firearm, point it at someone and bark orders, expecting them to be followed. If the bad guy does not comply, what is your next move? That should have already been decided and is the reason your weapon is deployed. It's not TV and there is no script to follow. You are now in survival mode. Period. The 2nd is that the more people there are around you, the more dangerous that pistol is when it leaves the holster. If you are with a group of friends, family, or simply in a place with people around, you better be damn sure of what you're doing if you break leather, and it should be done quickly and concisely. The better option is almost always to remove yourself and your loved ones from the situation.

I agree - if they just gimme 3 seconds like Lynrd Skynrd says ..,

• I totally agree with you SlingLow . I have told so many of my friends that if they are not prepared to fire their weapon then they should never carry one. I have pulled mine twice and was prepared to fire it both times but the circumstances were such that luckily for them I did not have to.

• I totally agree with you SlingLow . I have told so many of my friends that if they are not prepared to fire their weapon then they should never carry one. I have pulled mine twice and was prepared to fire it both times but the circumstances were such that luckily for them I did not have to.

Cheers to you exharleyrider , thanks for weighing in on this. I have never been the 'pointer' but I have been the 'pointee' (long story starting with Tequila and ending with all the windows of my rental home blown out with shotguns many years ago). That'll change your attitude about firearms real quick. You are either prepared at the moment it's necessary or you are not. You can't run out and buy a gun when someone has one pointed at you. I decided that night that that would be the only time in my life I would be in that situation. So far, so good!

• As the young men in my life come of age and make their decision about whether or not they want to carry, I have always offered two pieces of advice unrelated to trigger control or target acquisition. The 1st is, NEVER pull out a firearm, point it at someone and bark orders, expecting them to be followed. If the bad guy does not comply, what is your next move? That should have already been decided and is the reason your weapon is deployed. It's not TV and there is no script to follow. You are now in survival mode. Period. The 2nd is that the more people there are around you, the more dangerous that pistol is when it leaves the holster. If you are with a group of friends, family, or simply in a place with people around, you better be damn sure of what you're doing if you break leather, and it should be done quickly and concisely. The better option is almost always to remove yourself and your loved ones from the situation.

Reread my post. No orders given. No alternative exit. I was willing to pull the trigger if necessary. I was definitely in survival mode - “in fear for my life” as the expression goes. I know the drill. I also practice defensive shooting & can hit my target. My actions were warranted & justified. No regrets.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014