Rabtech's A.D.D engine build. :-)

• well, this thread is over my head... but im interested in seeing how it turns out. Husband has mechanical background, as well as building computer systems, and computer repair for the family, @rabtech, your an IT tech, but obviously you learned mechanics at some point.. whats the background?

I had this posted on the dark side....

My background is pretty wide when it comes to working with engines and electronics. I have installed staged wet nitrous systems, dry nitrous systems, superchargers and turbos on bikes and vehicles before. I have installed air and electric shifters with chip operated shifts and even PCM controlled shifts. In the automotive world I have personally built several V8 engines and even a couple of 4 cylinder engines. I have installed Whipple superchargers on Chevy trucks and ProChargers on Ford mustangs. Along with these installs came the knowledge of Air/Fuel Ratios, compression, and valve float, and timing. In my younger days I have even completely cleaned and rebuilt a 4L80E, TH350, and PowerGlide Transmission. Some of these installs were for friends over the years. Each time I gained a bit of experience. I can run a Arc Welder, TIG welder, MIG welder, Plasma Cutter, and even ran a Burney CNC Plasma Cutter. I can paint using base coat / clear coat, or shoot a 3 stage PPG Candy. I can powder coat and have my own oven.

Heres the catch...... I am not a fab person. Don't get me wrong, I can fab something up but I don't have the gift of seeing what something will look like and then building it. Im the kind of person that can take a fabricated product and install it perfectly as it was meant to be installed. Like many people on the forum I can find my way around a tool chest. My father was one of the best teachers. He owned a lumber treating, dry kiln, planer, and re-saw facility which allowed me to play with some pretty cool tools and toys. One of the first automated lumber stacking machine in our area was one I built when I was 15 (I'm 44 now). I used IR sensors and a ton of relays. Each one would trigger a timed chain drive movement. And once it reached the bottom it triggered the hydraulic forks to pick up the bundle and pull it back and then start over while someone banded the bundle and took it away. It seems so simple now but when there wasn't internet to look up any ideas it was pretty complicated stuff....

I like working on bikes better than anything. It just doesn't pay. Actually it cost a ton of money. So to pay the bills I have to work on computers and networks and keep data protected. In a perfect world If I had my choice I would make a career out of bikes. Another bonus of my regular paying IT consultant job is that I have accumulated a vast tool arsenal. I have always had the belief that if I don't have a particular tool then I go get it.

Im sure there are a bunch of people on here with a ton more knowledge. I just wanted to kind of informally introduce myself and explain why an IT computer guy has gear head knowledge. Some people don't put the two together.....

And as a funny side note..... I CANT TINT WINDOWS.....

• Sounds like you will be in good hands over there, but if you have any questions during the build, just let us know. It is fun to start seeing these built engines going in the Slingshots now, we are doing 3 more right now and with yours and Inewtons out there, some serious power is going to be made soon and many rear tires will die a smoky death :)

• Is it possible to beef up the engines power without adding turbo or supercharger?

Be nice. I am an engine dummy!!

Jim

simple mods such as a CAI / Exhaust and a new Tune can increase HP at minimal costs. But just like potato chips you can't stop once you start

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Is it possible to beef up the engines power without adding turbo or supercharger?

Be nice. I am an engine dummy!!

yes it is, but its much more expensive. You would need to raise the compression ratio, push the redline up, modify cams, major head porting etc. All of this could give you a high power N/A engine but again, this work would get much more expensive than a turbo setup.

The guys close to where I live who helped me spec the engine I am building have a 10,000 rpm LE5 N/A engine with nitrous pushing around 400hp. They told me they have around 8k in the head alone. They use domed pistons to get very high compression ratio, forged and lightened crank, rods, pistons and flywheel to help the engine get to this crazy high rpm. Its not very streetable as an engine because it makes its power in a very narrow rpm range (which is fine for racing, because you can always plan the rpm and gear you will be in at any given corner) so on the street it would suck.

Getting a high power N/A engine is very expensive vs installing a turbo.

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• Working on my crankshaft right now.....

Planning to ride a crank with wheels? Lol

Have to admit that the precision of making a crank is amazing when you think of it.

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• After speaking to others on what direction to take I have made a decision..

This engine build has changed directions a bit.
    I can just say the Initials of the company that is actually currently building my engine. Maybe it won't give it away.. :D

D D M

It should be good for an easy 400hp... And they are providing the clutch to hold all that power....
    This should make for some epic top speed videos. And some serious boost levels...
    They said it would be ready to pick up around July 10th..

I can tell you its all forged internals and its completely balanced and ready for boost...

And the best part is it just 4.5 hours away and all I have to do is bring my spare engine as a core and leave it when I pick this one up...

• Over the 44 years I have been alive I have learned a few things. One of those lessons is pretty straight forward. If you know someone that has a proven track record in building engines. And your about to dump thousands of dollars into an engine. You probably need to let the person that can do it blindfolded build that engine.

I absolutely don't want to try to prove anything by building it myself. I had much rather be having fun making videos of me roasting back tires. And not pulling an engine out because I didn't know the secret formula of the Ecotec timing method.

I just want to say thanks to all the DDM family for making my life much easier and especially @Dave@ddmworks.com for his time and patience while working with me.

• I guess I will be awaiting your results and then play copy cat!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I think you will like the setup that they are doing. It should give all of us with turbos the next "rush" that we all crave.

You really know how to talk dirty to a speed junkie.
    Is it an off the shelf build or something you specked out?
    Will they take any 2.4 as a core.
    Big question $$

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!