How to easily clear check engine light on 2015?

• Hey folks- newer (used) slingshot owner here! I purchased a 2015 SL which we love. The previous owner installed a cool air intake which appears to be triggering a check engine light every once in awhile (randomly every few weeks). I had one come on the day after I first bought it, but it cleared when I purchased a new battery and reinstalled... hasn't come back in 2 weeks but I'm told it will likely flip on again at some point. The code is 665565.

When I took it into the dealer they said that this code is likely due to the cool air intake installed but that its not actually causing any harm to the engine (just the computer detecting the air flow out of regular range I guess?). They advised removing the cool air intake and moving the Slingshot back to stock filter- price point for that is likely around ~$800. :cautious:

The code doesn't bother me as long as I know I can clear it easily and as long as its JUST that code. I was looking for any easy way to clear the engine code when this happens but coming up empty. I found this old thread in this forum that seems to indicate for some Slingshots doing an ignition on-off-on-off-on would clear the code. I can't seem to get this to work though and I can only find it documented working on 2016 and after... I'm not sure if that ACTUALLY is the case, but from what I can find online it seems folks using those models have had success but I can't find a documented working use case of that for a 2015. Am I doing it wrong, does this work on 2015 as well?

The other two workarounds I can find are: 1) unplugging the battery and leaving unplugged for a bit or 2) unplugging ECU for about 15 minutes and restarting (rinse and repeat until code is gone).

I really wish there was an easier way to clear codes like this vs going to the dealer every single time OR by unplugging battery OR pulling ECU... all just feels heavy handed for a basic task that you'd normally deal with via a traditional OBDII port on a car.

Anyone have any other tried-and-true methods for clearing codes without going to dealer on a 2015?

Should I just bite the bullet and remove the cool air intake and be done with this?

• Code 65565 according to my service book is an oxygen sensor code - - - not sure why a CAI installed correctly would throw this code. I have a 2016 Slingshot and several months ago I installed the DDMWorks Cold Air intake and I have not had any issues with codes coming up

Perhaps Dave@DDMWorks or Kyle D could shed more light on this subject - - I think it would be much better to find out why you are getting the code and fix it rather than simply clearing the code everytime

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• The CAI is not what is throwing the code

• Edward Neal  FunCycle - interesting thank you! I just assumed the CAI was causing this. I think I need to find another local technician here. The dealership is very nice here, but I'm nervous about their ability to go deep on assessment with stuff like this. Any idea on what areas to investigate that would cause 665565?

• Edward Neal  FunCycle - interesting thank you! I just assumed the CAI was causing this. I think I need to find another local technician here. The dealership is very nice here, but I'm nervous about their ability to go deep on assessment with stuff like this. Any idea on what areas to investigate that would cause 665565?

Are you sure that is the code? 65565 is the O2 sensor. You just have a sorry lazy tech. Some dealers early on would blame your problems on the tires if you had changed them. YES, that how bad it was to start with.

• It’s definitely not the intake causing it. Slingshots do not have MAF sensors which are generally in the intake tube of most cars. That code is referencing the O2 sensor reading lean so generally in my experience that means there is usually an exhaust leak in that area. Either at the manifold flange or the header to down pipe flange. Or there could be a crack in the manifold albeit unlikely.

The O2 sensor COULD be bad but it’s usually not. If it’s replaced, replace it an OEM one. The aftermarket units generally do not read the same and the pcm will think it’s not reading properly and throw a code.

The only other thing I can think of that could potentially cause that would be low fuel pressure but again the chances are slim. If I were a betting man I would put my money on an exhaust leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Killing battery power for whatever length of time isn't going to clear the codes. The only way to do so with an active failure (or reason as Kyle mentioned) is with the Digital Wrench. Like it or not, a trip to your Polaris dealer is probably in your future.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Kyle D Thanks very much- this was super helpful! It sounds like the Slingshot is pretty good at clearing its own codes after 2-3 rides. Is it safe to say that if the code sticks around 3+ ride it's likely a legit issues and is better off being problem solving with a skilled tech who has access to digital wrench?

FWIW - The code was only on for 3 rides before it went away for me and it has not shown back up again since in 2 weeks (and also after replacing the battery which was very dead at nearly 4 years old here in Arizona heat... most batteries give up the ghost around 2-3 here). So I'm thinking perhaps the best approach at this point is to just keep an eye on it popping up... and if it doesn't- stop worrying!

Exhaust would make sense to me if it were a legit issue. Ours has been fairly customized by a previous owner. I bought this 2015 SL as the third owner. The first owner (who had it for 1-2 years) modded it fairly significantly- adding headers and dual leg-pipe exhaust... overall the modification work strikes me as very sound, high quality work based on my (admittedly) limited knowledge/research online and in the forums. Second owner didn't tweak anything besides regular maintenance and had no issues or major repairs in the 4-5 years he owned it outside of regular maintenance. Both owners were retirees who kept it garaged the entire team, drove it intermittently, and kept it in good shape. Previous owner said he'd get engine lights every once in a blue moon but they always went away on their own. It may just be that I'm in the 'new-owner-who-is-overly-concerned-about-everything' phase of the relationship. :)

Funinthesun  BKL  FunCycle  Edward Neal  Kyle D - Really appreciate your help here. As a new (used) Slingshot owner, these forums have been so invaluable for me as I did the research ahead of making a purchase. So pumped to 'officially' be a part of the community now- we're having a blast with it!

p.png

• Welcome to the 'World of Slingshot Insanity' What I've told the new guys from early on...Get lots of seat time in before making to many changes. When you change one it will call for a change in two. Enjoy.

• EjFord good advice! And for what its worth, I think the previous owners already did enough changes on our used model to last a good long time. :D Part of the fun for me has been hunting down all the mods that were made since the first owner did them, the second owner doesn't have any records of them and never cared to figure out what they were. I've been tracing wiring, fuses, etc and having a lot of fun realizing there's more installed than I realized (ex: I just realized that previous owner had the older discontinued wheel light by Glo Ryder installed... I pulled them off added new batteries and now we have that). Some mods I never would have done, but I'm enjoying the fruit of other folks labors at this point.

Only 'upgrades' I've added myself at this point is the convex mirrors and rear view mirror set which has been a BIG win for us as far safety and ability to see whats behind us.

• EjFord good advice! And for what its worth, I think the previous owners already did enough changes on our used model to last a good long time. :D Part of the fun for me has been hunting down all the mods that were made since the first owner did them, the second owner has on record of them and never cared to figure out what they were. I've been tracing wiring, fuses, etc and having a lot of fun realizing there's more installed than I realized (ex: I just realized that previous owner had the older discontinued wheel light by Glo Ryder installed... I pulled them off added new batteries and now we have that). Some mods I never would have done, but I'm enjoying the fruit of other folks labors at this point.

Only 'upgrades' I've added myself at this point is the convex mirrors and rear view mirror set which has been a BIG win for us as far safety and ability to see whats behind us.

I have to convex mirror and also added the extensions Adjustable Mirror Riser Kit for the Polaris Slingshot (slingmods.com) I would suggest these.

• EjFord good advice! And for what its worth, I think the previous owners already did enough changes on our used model to last a good long time. :D Part of the fun for me has been hunting down all the mods that were made since the first owner did them, the second owner doesn't have any records of them and never cared to figure out what they were. I've been tracing wiring, fuses, etc and having a lot of fun realizing there's more installed than I realized (ex: I just realized that previous owner had the older discontinued wheel light by Glo Ryder installed... I pulled them off added new batteries and now we have that). Some mods I never would have done, but I'm enjoying the fruit of other folks labors at this point.

Do you want Show Mods or Performance Mods? It is easy to have 30 or 40 mods total counting the little stuff. Worth anywhere between $5,000 and $10,000