Which is quicker off the line - a Slingshot or a Vanderhall?

• with a 70/30 weight distribution and that 70% sitting right over 2 drive wheels I have no doubt the Vanderhall would be better off the line, on the other hand let someone who knows what they are doing take both the Slingshot and the Vanderhall over some good mountain twists and I highly suspect the Slingshot might be the better choice - -

here is an interesting review of a 2017 Venice by a guy who also reviewed the slingshot

and some quotes

"The sequential shift bump lever is satisfying to yank back on to grab a higher gear, and the Venice coughs and lurches as it tries to handle the power as it picks up speed quickly. Add in the whine and whoosh of the turbocharger, and the whole experience tells you you’re going fast. But, as was with the Polaris Slingshot, the Vanderhall Venice is more about feeling like you’re going fast than the actual pursuit of speed.

However, and more sadly for the people at Vanderhall, it’s much worse at speed than the Polaris.

Making the Venice front-wheel drive basically eliminates the ability to hoon, something that is normally a massive selling point for many three-wheelers.

"It also has shocking amounts of understeer. In parking lots, this meant it had a worse turning radius than my quad-cab, long-bed Toyota Tacoma, but in the winding roads of Southern California this meant for less than confidence-inspiring handling. Yes, it feels zippy in the curves, but not like you can push it because the feel is so vague.

'

"Then there’s the traction control system. Unlike the Polaris system that gently intervenes and reduces power by 20 percent to help find traction, the Venice TC abruptly cuts off the fueling—which hacks at both performance and driver confidence like a butcher at a piece of meat. Abrupt and long enough that you have time to look down at the dash to see if you’ve broken something or run out of gas."

"The appearance and sound of the Venice drew plenty of attention, which quickly turned to its performance—where I found myself constantly making excuses for it."

“No, it doesn’t have a very high top speed.”

“No, it doesn’t handle that well"

“No, you don’t feel very connected to the road; it’s actually pretty vague.”

of course this is just one guys opinion and who knows, if I drove one I might love it, but I must add that the narrow width of the cockpit is a huge turnoff to me - basically as fas as I am concerned it might as well be a single seater

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Agreed - we need Dave or Kyle in that sling, someone who knows how to launch it and hit shift points.

There is a vanderhall down the street from me that I rode with once at a sling ride. He said it was 350ish HP? Guess he did a lot of work to it, but I don't know enough to speak to it. I wanna line them up while I still have three wheels so that's not an excuse when I gap his ass.... We were on the interstate and he was pulling up next to the group and then coming on boost and passing folks. I dropped it into 3rd when I saw him coming the 3rd time and when we were side by side I stomped it and pulled away so hard on him that when we hit the gas station, he asked what I had done to it and the excuses started about how he didn't know I was going to do a pull yada yada. I'd put 500 up right now on the track best of 3 I'd get that vanderhall and hopefully get to do it one of these open track nights as I need to see how my time changed from stock anyway...

• Very nice! I believe those are federal tires. I’ve always been interested in that pattern but have never had the chance where a rim and their tires come together for me. That pattern is particularly attractive to me for Southern California as it will not follow the grooves on the highway. Well done!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• He said it was 350ish HP?

Yeah he wasn't making 350whp. MAYBE if he meant at the crank on the happiest dyno on the planet. Or if he was given a bunch of misinformation from one of the only vendors in that market who is known for being full of shit and using dyno sheets from different cars as Vanderhall builds.

All of the ones we have had here on our mustang dyno all made about 105whp bone stock. The ones we did max effort builds on doing a down pipe, cams, valve springs, turbo upgrade, and E85 maxed out at 200whp because that auto trans soaks up so much power. I have the same build on my manual Chevy Sonic that I use for a summer fun/track car and it makes 256whp just so you see how much that trans soaks up. However, 200whp in one of these is a lot of fun.

It's odd though, I would really like to know where Vanderhall come up with their power numbers. They advertise the Venice with a 1.4T engine at 175hp. However, GM states that same engine and trans makes 138hp. They advertise the Carmel with the 1.5T making 195hp but GM lists that engine as making 160hp. I posted our results in the Vanderhall groups, that are all primarily owned by Vanderhall and/or their dealers showcasing what we started at and where we ended up at with a Venice and Vanderhall actually called me directly and told me I had to take my posts down to stay in the groups since the power numbers did not align with what they advertise. Against my better judgement and my want to be a primary vendor in that market, I complied and they instantly banned me from all the Vanderhall owned groups. #cancelculture

And don't take this as me shitting on Vanderhalls. I actually really like them and wish we had them in the shop more often. I like my Sling better but I like the Vanderhall retro styling and they are fun modded out. You get a lot of looks in them just like you do in a Sling and they make cool spooly turbo noises right out of the box.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• It's odd though, I would really like to know where Vanderhall come up with their power numbers. They advertise the Venice with a 1.4T engine at 175hp. However, GM states that same engine and trans makes 138hp. They advertise the Carmel with the 1.5T making 195hp but GM lists that engine as making 160hp. I posted our results in the Vanderhall groups, that are all primarily owned by Vanderhall and/or their dealers showcasing what we started at and where we ended up at with a Venice and Vanderhall actually called me directly and told me I had to take my posts down to stay in the groups since the power numbers did not align with what they advertise. Against my better judgement and my want to be a primary vendor in that market, I complied and they instantly banned me from all the Vanderhall owned groups. #cancelculture

What the heck?!? Shouldn't that be false advertising or something?!

Bill Martin , if proven wrong, what could be the outcome? I mean, it's like the EPA MPG numbers... Manufacturers have been sued or directed to adjust numbers, haven't they?

• Kyle D Vanderhall owned by Twitter?😜

I posted our results in the Vanderhall groups, that are all primarily owned by Vanderhall and/or their dealers showcasing what we started at and where we ended up at with a Venice and Vanderhall actually called me directly and told me I had to take my posts down to stay in the groups since the power numbers did not align with what they advertise.

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Geee, I really do not understand this hangup on just numbers? If a vehicle interests you, find a dealer, take it for a test drive, does it perform to your satisfaction or not? Isn't it really just that easy?

Bill

Added note where twice now we have been taunted off the line by another SlingShot who thought they had a a real hotrod by having a souped up engine. Twice now I have left them basically sitting at the light because they could not get enough traction with that single rear tire. It is not always about horsepower. ;)

At any rate, what it really boils down to is if you are looking for a vehicle that is quick off the line, the SlingShot is a poor choice. :|

bill

• Geee, I really do not understand this hangup on just numbers?

From a vendor stand point specifically in that market it matters. It is s super small niche market. Significantly smaller than the Slingshot market. So if Vendor A is going along with Vanderhall and reporting similar numbers and inflated performance numbers and Vendor B is posting actual numbers, a lot of times society will not do their own investigating and just say "Well, Vendor B just doesn't really know how to make the cars perform so I will go with Vendor A's parts since they have higher power numbers." It was the same in this market years ago. There were companies claiming 30whp gains from an intake, headers, and a tune which just isn't possible.

It's not about the numbers. It's the principle. You have a company falsely advertising power numbers that are nowhere near in line with the engine manufacturer to give the appearance that your product makes more power than other products in a similar market. And when someone steps up and says here is what we found to be the power numbers on a stock and modified product and the company actually suppresses that info to save face in the market and potential legal back lash, well, in my opinion, that's wrong.

• It's not how much you have, it's how you use it applies to a LOT of things. This time it applies to Slingshots as well as Vanderhalls. Smaller engine, lighter weight, automatic transmission and front wheel drive VS bigger engine, heavier vehicle, and a single rear wheel drive is not a fair comparison but one made just as a conversation starter. Like I said, I BELIEVE I would have a better 0-60 performance than MOST Slingshots, but would get passed before the 1/4 mile marker. Also getting almost 40 mpg is a luxury that I never had in the Slingshot

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I BELIEVE I would have a better 0-60 performance than MOST Slingshots, but would get passed before the 1/4 mile marker. Also getting almost 40 mpg is a luxury that I never had in the Slingshot

I bet if you had a sticky tires on the front of that Vanderhall you might beat me to somewhere around the 1/8mi mark. It would be interesting to see at any rate.