High Mileage Spyder ok?

• I know it's not a slingshot, but a lot of you like me had bikes before and or experience with can-am in general. Thoughts on a 2008 spyder with 68k on it? Wife sent me this add as we've been looking at them since coming home from Deadwood. Gotta admit I like the colors on this one, the fact it's a manual, and has the mods we'd put on it is appealing. Just not sure what kinda life you can expect out of these bikes and it's got 68k, dang! (know it depends on how it was maintained along the way as well)....

Would you consider it or just go newer? I understand they don't make the manuals anymore and I kinda want a manual vs the cvt automatic drive train...

2008 we are looking at - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5829334823775395

2013 - automatic - 5k miles - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/920363321879745

No photo description available.May be an image of motorcycle, road and text that says 'T A can-am can- am ROTAX'

• Was think Spider when I bought but stopped at the Polaris dealer first and fell in love with Sally. Bought her the next day and never made it to the Can-Am dealer.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• I've seen the same negative statements made above about the Spyder made about the Slingshot, too. Your Wife should buy whichever model and/or color she likes. From a price/mileage viewpoint, the automatic is probably a slightly better deal, but if a manual transmission is important, then that's the one to go with. When I rode 2 wheels, I averaged15K miles/year with both of my bikes, so what some people consider high miles, I don't.

• I've seen the same negative statements made above about the Spyder made about the Slingshot, too. Your Wife should buy whichever model and/or color she likes. From a price/mileage viewpoint, the automatic is probably a slightly better deal, but if a manual transmission is important, then that's the one to go with. When I rode 2 wheels, I averaged15K miles/year with both of my bikes, so what some people consider high miles, I don't.

I feel the same way with the miles piece... had some high mileage bikes that ran good with good maintenance. There is also the matter of fitting in garage vs gravel pole barn...my sling isn't going out there... a bike could fit next to it if I move some unused shelving... Going to give it some time and see if it's a fad or if she pushes me and maybe towards end of season better deal can be had on either!

• I feel the same way with the miles piece... had some high mileage bikes that ran good with good maintenance. There is also the matter of fitting in garage vs gravel pole barn...my sling isn't going out there... a bike could fit next to it if I move some unused shelving... Going to give it some time and see if it's a fad or if she pushes me and maybe towards end of season better deal can be had on either!

I do know of a couple of Slingshots in Northern Indiana that will be for sale soon. 2015/2016 very low miles and very good condition.

• Don't forget that the 2008 Spyder engine is only 996cc's! I don't remember when they went to 1300.

Yeah I think 900 is enough for her... that's why I was leaning towards manual to use it better and she thinks a manual would work for her. Looked at some 600 rykers but those deadwood guys said if you like your wife get her a spyder over the ryker. I'm letting it chill now and will see how many marketplace ads she sends me. Deal hunter so in no big hurry the more I think about it!

• Yeah I think 900 is enough for her... that's why I was leaning towards manual to use it better and she thinks a manual would work for her. Looked at some 600 rykers but those deadwood guys said if you like your wife get her a spyder over the ryker. I'm letting it chill now and will see how many marketplace ads she sends me. Deal hunter so in no big hurry the more I think about it!

Every time Georgia see a real nice looking 'convertible' --- over time I've driven several home and She say NO. ???do?don't???

• Little update on this one... the answer was none of the above...

When our side by side (kawasaki mule 4x4) got stolen a month or so back now and insurance finally paid out (lot less than it was worth with today's prices)... we had given up on replacing it with a real side by side due to prices... Well wife found one listed in South Dakota and the owners actually live in Peyton, Colorado. So verbal agreement to buy, they are brining it out here in a little over a week as they had a trip planned anyway.

2019 Yamaha YXZ 1000r SS - 234 hours and 1218 miles - has a crap ton of mods on it already like dual battery, 4 points, magellan gps / engine dashboard, stereo, storage box, interior pads/storage, etc... and the list goes on. Learned something from the sling, better to buy one already modded out if it has mods you'd do anyway. 19k is a good deal to me as the 2019's had all the improvements like relocated radiator, fox shocks, 1st gear ratio change, advanced shifting on the sport shift and so on... We almost ordered one of these at end of last month but $28k for a 21 model with no mods was just too much to swallow...

So nope didn't solve my 3 people and 1 sling issue... but between wife and son they decided this was better than another sling/trike so works for me!