Security lights w/camera

• I disagree my cameras are wireless and battery powered and my cable modem and Wi-Fi router are on a ups. If a person wants to get around a hard wired ac powered system all they have to do is flip the breaker and cut power to the home. If you cut my power my Cameras and Wi-Fi will keep working for a long time. My internet cable coming into my home is not easily accessible and would be much harder to cut than my power which is in a breaker panel that is right on the side of my home. I suspect it would be very unlikely that someone would be lucky enough to try something at the same time the internet just happens to be down. On the other hand I think it is very likely they might cut the power in an attempt to disable security systems

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• cut the power in an attempt to disable security systems

Why not just plug in your DVR or NVR wired security system into the same UPS that you have the wifi router plugged in to? As well as plugging in the security system to it? But my security system has a battery backup, so cutting power to it does not disable it.

• My ups will run my Wi-Fi for a minimum of 90 minutes probably longer. The power draw of the router and modem are very low. Put a DVR on it an the run time would drop substantially add a entire security system an you are probably down to 10 minutes or less

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

• I disagree my cameras are wireless and battery powered and my cable modem and Wi-Fi router are on a ups. If a person wants to get around a hard wired ac powered system all they have to do is flip the breaker and cut power to the home. If you cut my power my Cameras and Wi-Fi will keep working for a long time. My internet cable coming into my home is not easily accessible and would be much harder to cut than my power which is in a breaker panel that is right on the side of my home. I suspect it would be very unlikely that someone would be lucky enough to try something at the same time the internet just happens to be down. On the other hand I think it is very likely they might cut the power in an attempt to disable security systems

I assure you that wireless security system you have is fairly easy to hack and so is your wifi. Signal consistency is not steady as well compared to wired unless you live in a 500 square foot space.

• More worried about punk kids trying a spur of the moment break in than some kind of planed attack where they hack my system first. It’s just a middle class home in a middle class neighborhood not a diamond mart

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

• I should’ve ran some schedule 40 from the house with cat 5 when I had the ditch open. 😣 Only ran a 3 wire 12ga underground separate (dedicated) line to the pole while I had the Well replaced.

Can you use the 3-wire to pull a pull string, then use the pull string to pull the 3 wire and the cat5?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Can you use the 3-wire to pull a pull string, then use the pull string to pull the 3 wire and the cat5?

really wish I could, somehow I missed the boat on that thought process, but the underground wire is buried about 4’ deep with no piping to pull wire. Last resort is to dig a minimum of a 12” trench and install metal conduit from the house all the way up to the top of the pole for Cat wire. That wire cannot run in the same conduit as the electric per code. I guess ya live and learn.

• really wish I could, somehow I missed the boat on that thought process, but the underground wire is buried about 4’ deep with no piping to pull wire. Last resort is to dig a minimum of a 12” trench and install metal conduit from the house all the way up to the top of the pole for Cat wire. That wire cannot run in the same conduit as the electric per code. I guess ya live and learn.

Not metal conduit! Only gray pvc pipe for electric cables underground. Metal will eventually rot away, unless it is coated and wrapped. There is direct burial cable available but expensive.

PVC is better way gray color pipe.

Just Sayin!

Keep Three Wheels Down

• really wish I could, somehow I missed the boat on that thought process, but the underground wire is buried about 4’ deep with no piping to pull wire. Last resort is to dig a minimum of a 12” trench and install metal conduit from the house all the way up to the top of the pole for Cat wire. That wire cannot run in the same conduit as the electric per code. I guess ya live and learn.

Got it. I was wondering if it was in conduit. Coincidentally I spent part of yesterday digging up conduit to reroute wires that were going to and from a manufactured home I just removed from my property to the storage units I'm setting up as garages. But I have a diesel powered shovel.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• many many years ago I was an industrial electrician and at the time it was code that everything we ran was run in a conduit there was no romex like they allowed in houses. At the time I swore that if I ever had a home built I would pay the extra cost to do it the industrial way and have every run go in a conduit and not just the size required, but where possible one size larger - - I always felt that doing this would future proof the home by allowing additional wires to be pulled or larger wires to be pulled if ever my electrical needs changed.

at this point I have never had the opportunity to actually build my home so this hasn't happened yet, but I still hate romex and the idea of wiring that is not in a conduit - - - I also hate the damn plastic boxes they now use for receptacles - - back when I did industrial no plastic was allowed

• many many years ago I was an industrial electrician and at the time it was code that everything we ran was run in a conduit there was no romex like they allowed in houses. At the time I swore that if I ever had a home built I would pay the extra cost to do it the industrial way and have every run go in a conduit and not just the size required, but where possible one size larger - - I always felt that doing this would future proof the home by allowing additional wires to be pulled or larger wires to be pulled if ever my electrical needs changed.

at this point I have never had the opportunity to actually build my home so this hasn't happened yet, but I still hate romex and the idea of wiring that is not in a conduit - - - I also hate the damn plastic boxes they now use for receptacles - - back when I did industrial no plastic was allowed

I hate those plastic boxes. My whole neighborhood has problems with lights falling from the ceiling because of them. Most all of us have gone into the attic or paid someone to go into the attic to replace them with metal connection boxes. I found several that just crumbled in my hands when I was removing them. We are building a house next year and no way I'm using plastic boxes there.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• I hate those plastic boxes. My whole neighborhood has problems with lights falling from the ceiling because of them. Most all of us have gone into the attic or paid someone to go into the attic to replace them with metal connection boxes. I found several that just crumbled in my hands when I was removing them. We are building a house next year and no way I'm using plastic boxes there.

what I have always found interesting is that back when I was an industrial electrician I was told that the reason that plastic boxes were not allowed under the code for use in commercial applications was that they could let off toxic gases if there were a fire - - I never understood the reasoning where if this were really the case why they were allowed under the residential code. - - like its okay if you kill home owners with toxic fumes, but not workers???

• My last job before my final retirement I networked 30 some schools all with a bunch of portables on campus. Normally around 40 some per school and maybe 5 main buildings. I would hate to think the amount of Cat 5. phone cable, and fiber I pulled. many hundreds of miles of cabling in the maim buildings running back to IDFs and the MDF. Of course they had to have 6 drops on every wall in a room and computer labs had many. A lot of it was being switched to WIFI when I was retiring.

If the music is to loud you are to old.