Faster steering rack

• The Airbus pilot was skilled, far better skill than the stupid electronic brain... He knew that he could get the aircraft to pop over the trees with no issue, but the computer did not think, did not understand, did not see, it just said NO and the aircraft flew right into them, not because the pilot erred, because the artificial intelligence isn't intelligent at all...

• We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I do turn off traction control most of the time (a guy needs to have SOME fun), but I always leave the stability control enabled on the Slingshot.

the Steering Angle sensor ... is used in conjunction with other ESP inputs (wheel speed, gradient and yaw rate) to determine vehicle stability. The hydraulic modulator is activated during stability control events to control individual wheelspeed and braking needs to correct vehicle attitude.

For the record, I've never had the ESP light flash at me yet (indicating it had to save me). But if the time does come when the system thinks it can keep all 3 wheels on the ground or keep me from spinning out by applying braking to only one wheel (something I can't do in an emergency) then I'm going to be grateful that it intervened. :thumbup:

• The steering rack seem to be one of the weak links on the slingshot. I know on mine I have never been able to lock the brakes so abs never kicks in that is on stock brakes. I know most never drive to the limit but if you ever do a 180 and end up in a skid going backwards abs don’t work. I wonder if that’s why there’s so many crashes in the rain with the sling. Traction control and stability control has their place. It has let me get my wife vehicles there is no way she could have without it. One was a Jeep rubicon I lifted and put 35” tires on and a dodge scatpack challenger.

• I have not had traction control or skid control since I went to the Haltech ECU. It has provisions in it and works if you program it to kick in when the sensors detect either of those types of events. But I just got used to driving it without. You do have to be on your toes when your pushing it hard... it can be a handful

• Totaly disagree woth ABS, TC andStability control.

They took these technologies put of racing because it made F1 cars « too easy to drive » and took pilot skill too much out of the equation.

And we are talking about F1 pilots, which I am pretty sure no one on this forum is.

I aggree with them being a pain sometimes when trying to push hard on a track, but they will save your ass when you get into a situation where for some reason you just had a brain fart and reacted wrongly to a situation.

Its not because 2% of the time something doesn’t work as well as a top trained person that its shit. Overall these technologies work better and more importantly are more consistant than human brains. Unlike us, your ecu or stability control never has a headache, is never tired or never has its attention taken away from what its doing.

You may be a better than average driver, but always remember than even Colin McRae crashed his cars, and as good as you may be, your not Colin McRae ;-)

More specific to the OP, I am subbed for a faster rack, oem rack sucks donkey balls for racing.

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• The traction control and abs on f1 cost more than the whole slingshot. If it worked as good as the system on the f1 I would keep it but it don’t. If it worked as good as what’s on my challenger I would keep it but it don’t. Just to buy the Bosch abs system is over 8,000 that’s not including install and set up. So comparing the slingshot to a f1 is a stretch. With that being said I will be running a aftermarket traction control so the wife can drive it.

• I have not had traction control or skid control since I went to the Haltech ECU. It has provisions in it and works if you program it to kick in when the sensors detect either of those types of events. But I just got used to driving it without. You do have to be on your toes when your pushing it hard... it can be a handful

Did you keep the abs module hooked up or did you remove it completely?

• Being that I drive in snow and ice half the year, then play on back roads the rest, I can tell you that any kind of stability control, ABS, traction control is actually downright dangerous for a skilled driver.

Being from Manitoba, I definitely hear what you are saying here.

Same goes for accident avoidance, there are times when I have made a split second decision to avoid an animal in the dark that required a rapid series of way out of range inputs to the steering, throttle and brakes that an onboard control system would not have allowed me to make, because they are in themselves unsafe... Yet I made them...

There isn't however, any Emergency Services which will condone maneuvers which require you to out-steer your vehicle. Brake and keep your vehicle straight. It is always the safest course of action. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Also, there is no insurance company that will cover you if you damage your vehicle because of those moves, and yet have no proof (animal hair / blood) to say you were dodging something to avoid an accident.

I am in no way questioning your skill level. This is just a rule of thumb that protects 99% of drivers out there. Remember that your vehicle itself has another purpose, and that is to protect its driver. In this day & age where someone could sue a company for not telling them that Cruise Control isn't Auto Pilot, AND WIN, is a world that is forced to have every possible safety feature in place just to protect their own ass, and if it inconveniences the remaining 1%, well so be it.

There....safety school speech over, lol.

• The steering rack seem to be one of the weak links on the slingshot. I know on mine I have never been able to lock the brakes so abs never kicks in that is on stock brakes. I know most never drive to the limit but if you ever do a 180 and end up in a skid going backwards abs don’t work. I wonder if that’s why there’s so many crashes in the rain with the sling. Traction control and stability control has their place. It has let me get my wife vehicles there is no way she could have without it. One was a Jeep rubicon I lifted and put 35” tires on and a dodge scatpack challenger.

the problem with the stock brakes is the pads, get a set of Hawk 5.0 and you will be locking those puppies up with zero sand/moisture on the road.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Did you keep the abs module hooked up or did you remove it completely?

It is hooked up. It works by itself. The ECU just handles sway and skid and traction control. ABS is a self contained unit that (to my knowledge ) cant be disabled. The factory switch just disables traction control and if you hold it in it disable sway and skid control.