Slingshot Racing Cup

• Sorry...didn't see the responses to our last post so apologies for the delay in replying. We just finished the final event of our Slingshot Racing Cup season and are now immediately putting together a plan for the winter/next summer.

Thinking of how we can incorporate existing Slingshot owners and whether we create an "open" class which would allow any kind of Slingshot to participate. We recognize that those who already have a Slingshot may not want to spend more money to upgrade...or they've spent a lot of time doing modifications to their Slingshot.

One thing that would be difficult to compromise on though is that for wheel to wheel racing we would need to require everyone to have a proper race seat with side/neck support (like the Sparco ones we used this year) as well as racing belts plus necessary driver safety gear.

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations, etc welcome!! Hope to be in your area very soon :)

• Yeah, unfortunately due to work, I missed all but one of these days. However, I did get to go spend one full day up there and take a few runs around the track during their Hot Laps.

The track is old, but it is a lot of fun. Would love to give this a go next year, just need to put my Stock windshield back on because apparently that F4+5 slows me down a bit, lol.

• Looks like fun.

You talk a lot about safety and buying the "appropriate gear" to participate. I think it is great to keep everyone safe, but you will have a hard time getting people excited about buying race seats that are not weather-proof. It just doesn't make sense for most people, as these type of seat aren't very comfortable and quickly get trashed when they are out in the conditions.

I also can't believe you not having the drivers wear arm restraints. This is usually a requirement for open air vehicles / convertibles. I would say they are probably much more important than having a fire suit on.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• For us it depends what track we are running most consider us motorcycles so all we need is Jackets, Gloves, long pants, closed shoes and a DOT full face helmet. For the tracks that treat us as cars - they require a race helmet and arm restraints.

Can't wait until we have an organized body of rules so we can do some racing

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Hi TravAZ,

Yes I agree. We see race seats as being a possible stumbling block however they are probably the single most important piece of safety equipment in the event of any incident. I drove a Slingshot with race seats all year on the street and never had any issue with weather, but mainly because I was extra careful not to have it out during a rain shower. I enjoyed the extra protection while driving but it's obviously not as comfortable to drive around in. Many of our participants actually had the seats swapped out just before/after the race event...so that is a possible solution to the problem.

Our driving instructor, David Richert, has driven open-cockpit vehicles for many years at different levels and has never been required to wear arm restraints. Though it does seem to be more prevalent (and a requirement) in sanctioned grassroots racing.

Each of our drivers were reminded to pull their arms close to their chest in the event of any incident, but for those with less experience the natural reaction could still be to raise their arms in an attempt to cover their head...so to make it foolproof the arm-restraints will help. However, the race seat and race belts create a very nice cocoon around the driver and limit movement in all areas significantly. But with that said, arm restraints are something we have been seriously discussing for next year to continue improving safety.

If it's not safe then the fun will quickly disappear :)

• For us it depends what track we are running most consider us motorcycles so all we need is Jackets, Gloves, long pants, closed shoes and a DOT full face helmet. For the tracks that treat us as cars - they require a race helmet and arm restraints.
    Can't wait until we have an organized body of rules so we can do some racing

Working on it :D

The other thing that needs to be worked through is how to create a level playing field as so many owners have modified their Slingshots to some extent.