Sparkplug issue....

• Seems I am having an issue with moisture getting in my sparkplug wire and the plugs themselves. :!:

Is this a known issue or is someone aware of something like this? If so, how do I address this? ?(

On a new machine ... if water is getting up in there, should this even be my concern? Warranty :?:

Wondering how much I should commit to this fix, and how much Polaris should be responsible for.

Ideas?

• Not exactly sure what you mean by moisture "up in there". If you are talking about the spark plug boot and plug exterior. I would be thinking condensation. Happens from the heat and cold cycling of the engine. More prevalent if your ride is short duration and the engine did not get hot enough to burn out the condensation. The other possibility is you have some of that Alabama air trapped in there. Humidity here is killer...

Just guessing you are talking about the coil pack and spark plug area... If that's the case, with spark plug installed, you could spray some electrical contact cleaner in that well and coil boot to evaporate the moisture. Just make sure it cleaner evaporates thoroughly before re-installing the coil pack....

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

Edited once, last by airoutlaw ().

• Ok, so had to cancel my appointment to get this looked at, so ... frustrated, I pulled apart my plugs just to see if there was in fact 'moisture' of some sort causing an issue.

What I found is that with 3 of my plugs, the chamber is nice & clean and still a silver color. perfectly dry.

One chamber however, the second one forward from the firewall, had a brown "rust like" coating inside the chamber. I ran a cloth in there and worked it around and it comes out looking very much just like rust. The cloth seems damp too.

That tells me that 3 of my spark plug boots are doing their job while this one is somehow allowing moisture in. If that is the case, that would be a default, correct? This is the second time this has occurred and cost me a set of plugs at my expense. However, a default allowing moisture to cause this issue should fall under warranty.

I'm going to be holding this chat with the dealer soon.

In the mean time, if anyone has thoughts or ideas, please feel free to chime in.

• Chiming in... my opinion...

moisture, hot and cold cycling, will cause the spark plug to rust. Engine vibration will throw rust stained moisture around. So nothing odd there.

If it were a coolant leak, the smell would tell. If the plug did not seat correctly and you had some blow by, that would have a fuel carbon smell.

If neither one of those above apply, the moisture is from external source.

You didn't say if it was running rough or otherwise.

• Oh it is running rough. Low idle surges and it takes downshifting and revving higher to clear it up. On the open road, it runs just fine and has no issues.

It's the idle that has a problem.

No coolant smells. No fuel smells.

moisture, hot and cold cycling, will cause the spark plug to rust. Engine vibration will throw rust stained moisture around. So nothing odd there.

So if outside moisture is getting in there, then this would be the expected result, given I have been riding since March here, lol.

Could it be that the boot, when cold, is not expanding when it warms up, allowing a bit of moisture to creep in then? Over time, allowing enough moisture to cause this issue?

• It may be that water is dropping down from the center hood vent when you wash it or rain. Put a sheet of newspaper on top of the motor, close the hood and dump some water on the vent. If it drops water there the problem is water pooling around that plug.

• I was thinking more like @Flybuddy in the post above on the high temp silicone. I do that to all the boots when I install them new.

@Flybuddy, I think that this is referring to the boot area only, not down the threads and to the spark end of the plug. Was a little confusing the way it was written, and I thought the same thing when "Chamber" was mentioned. But I believe that was talking about the boot end after re-reading the post.

• It may be that water is dropping down from the center hood vent when you wash it or rain. Put a sheet of newspaper on top of the motor, close the hood and dump some water on the vent. If it drops water there the problem is water pooling around that plug.

Like many people, I have opened the back of these vents up to allow heat to dissipate better. When I get around to it, I plan on buying the more decorative billeted vents, but until that time, the poor man's version will have to suffice.

How about a little high temp silicone brushed around the boot. Even if water is pooling there is the water able to trickle down the plug thread past the compressed washer?

Definitely thinking that this is the route to go once I get this sorted out. That whole "ounce of prevention" thing eventually comes into play here.

It does appear that water from either rain, washing or even snow earlier in the year, has found it's way inside. Once I confirm that this is the same one that had moisture last year, I will pressure Polaris to replace this boot, then seal them all with the high temp silicone once fixed.

• I got the cd service manual and found this that says there's drain holes. your supposed to blow out with compressed air then flush with water before removing the plugs. Never heard of this anyone else?

POLARIS SLINGSHOT Plugs.pdf

The spark plug galley is basically a cup... anything in there will become a threat to the engine if the spark plug is removed. They are advising you to use compressed air to blow the cup free of debris before removing plug. (Don't forget your safety glasses )

Back with @MBMedic... as my doctor says, "So what to do?"

You can take it to the dealer.

OR

Plugs are reasonably cheap, if you're gonna buy one, might as well get four.

Or, rusted plug is only skin deep.... blow out the plug valley, pull the plug, clean it up, and check the gap while you have it out. Apply dielectric grease to the boot. If you want to use some high temp silicone sealant, apply a light smear around the surface of the coil boot that will mate to the cam cover. Allow to dry before installing. You don't want to glue it down only seal.

And one more thing to check...

Down on the intake manifold just below the throttle body is a rubber cap... check to see if missing or cracked.... if you still have a good one, put a zippy tie on it. My make shift pointer in pic.

• Any chance we can get a photo?

Will see if I can work on this photo. At work, but brought tools to play today if I got a chance. Also have electrical contact cleaner & a sealant to help.

Appointment is rescheduled for June 5th. Need her running tickity boo for the 18th because I'm heading to Alpha. Got @Turbosling & the boys lined up for a set of GT Shocks and a Laser Alignment.

Henry was a little surprised I would drive down there "just for the shocks". I'm like, Dude.... I get to see that V8 in person again, lol. Why wouldn't drive down?

Besides, it's my scheduled vacation, and I get to go for an 8 hour ride. Hell yeah.

• So, went outside and pulled this out. Can't really see down the hole and don't have a light at work to assist with it.

However, you can see the plug wire & boot have the rust on the outside of it. That same substance is what is currently on the inside of the chamber walls.

I've cleaned the area with the electrical contact cleaner, and it is sitting now and drying for a bit. I'll blow out the well later and connect the plug line again.

Quick question ... What's the gap supposed to be on these plugs?

• So...to finish out this thread, I took my Sling into the dealer for her appointment today.

They placed her on the computer to try and figure out what was going on. The code that has been popping up, along with the service manual ended up pointing to a couple "Possible issues" but not an exact culprit that he could easily fix. It gave my mechanic a good chase for a few hours and he even sent off his findings to Polaris HQ for some assistance.

With his search narrowed down to 1 of 4 different sensors or the ECU itself, he resorted to some good old Mechanic work and pulled each sensor 1 by 1 and placed them into a new Sling sitting in the compound. He then started the new Sling after each changeover until the issues I was having appeared in that Sling.

Turns out it was the Cam Sensor that was causing all the grief I was being dealt. The let me go with the new one from the other Sling, while the part they ordered is now set to go into that machine.

My girl is feeling all better now :thumbup: which is awesome because we have a lot of sun in our forecast and I just started my 4 days off.