Anyone heel toe shifting?

• @STYLN and I were sitting on the couch discussing the various methods of going through a turn quickly. He played a rather informative series of videos from iracing on the subject of turns. Pretty much everyone agreed that heel toe shifting was worth learning.

Have any of you successfully pulled off the maneuver? I understand the process and the benefits, but I'm fairly certain that if I were to try it under any conditions other than parking lot there would be candy apple red bits and pieces decorating a tree.

• Impossible with my size 13, but I sort of do "big toe to right side of foot" :D shift. I am not very graceful, but again I can't dance either.

You and I are both rocking 13's. So if no one is pulling off heel toe, then we are all riding the clutch in to turns and rev matching right at the apex?

• You and I are both rocking 13's. So if no one is pulling off heel toe, then we are all riding the clutch in to turns and rev matching right at the apex?

Not riding the clutch

I an running with the DDM lighter flywheel, I think it was like 12lbs lighter than stock (not positive) but when I lift going into a turn the SS decelerates enough that I don't use much brake at all. A good tap on entry sets up and mash the gas on exit.

If you have ever driven behind @FunCycle you would swear he either has no brakes or brake lights - never uses them

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• You and I are both rocking 13's. So if no one is pulling off heel toe, then we are all riding the clutch in to turns and rev matching right at the apex?

On very tight corners I agree, otherwise I keep rpms up on short straights, engine brake then accelerate out of the apex.

• Not riding the clutch

I an running with the DDM lighter flywheel, I think it was like 12lbs lighter than stock (not positive) but when I lift going into a turn the SS decelerates enough that I don't use much brake at all. A good tap on entry sets up and mash the gas on exit.

If you have ever driven behind @FunCycle you would swear he either has no brakes or brake lights - never uses them

Sure you can engine brake, but in many turns you're going to approach in 4th or maybe third and need to get down to 3rd or 2nd for a fast exit. If you can enter and exit in third you'll only need a quick hard brake right before turning in. That leaves you with when and how to down shift. 2nd is especially difficult since you need to rev match pretty well to avoid and lurch and possible loss of traction.

That makes at least 3 of us in that 13 category. Not much room in there for sure. Usually I try to be in the gear I want to exit the turn in, just before I enter the turn. If on the brake hard sometimes I'll clutch in and rev match when ready for power again. Mostly I tend to corner like I do on the bike, although hitting the brakes in the turn is less of a challenge on the SS than the bike.

• On very tight corners I agree, otherwise I keep rpms up and on short straights, engine brake then accelerate out of the apex.

Right. You can enter and exit in 3rd for most situations. We were running on Sunday and third was fine for the majority of the ride. Only dropped to second a couple of times.

• I find myself just hanging out in third on the track or while on twisties at the Smokies. Decent acceleration from 25mph to 75mph. I would probably miss or slip a gear if I tried to get fancy and possible scatter black pieces on Cams red pieces. ^^

• With the tight confines of the Slingshot the right shoes can make a big difference. Have a pair of Puma racing shoes that I wear religiously when driving the slingshot. Even with a measly size 11 shoe it is difficult to complete the technique and have more than once said "Shit....you dummy". =O;(

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• I find myself just hanging out in third on the track or while on twisties at the Smokies. Decent acceleration from 25mph to 75mph. I would probably miss or slip a gear if I tried to get fancy and possible scatter black pieces on Cams red pieces. ^^

Sweet. We can just mix and match and put together a franken sling.

• With the tight confines of the Slingshot the right shoes can make a big difference. Have a pair of Puma racing shoes that I wear religiously when driving the slingshot. Even with a measly size 11 shoe it is difficult to complete the technique and have more than once said "Shit....you dummy". =O;(

I wear puma Ferrari future cats. So you're actually pulling off heel toe shifting?

• I wear puma Ferrari future cats. So you're actually pulling off heel toe shifting?

Ah, see you know what I am talking about then. It is much easier on other vehicles to accomplish heel toe. The offset/gap of the brake and accelerator pedal make it difficult. I'm still trying to get it perfect with the sling and not scatter bits and pieces as you so eloquently put. I'm going to attempt at making a simulator pedal set that matches the Slingshot.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?