The Ultimate Whine Reducing Plan

• If you have read some of my posts, you know I am obsessed with the famous SS drive train whine. I want to remove it! I have tried EVERYTHING from replacing the angle drive, lube experiments and belt experiments. I have used Royal Purple and Redline Heavy Shockproof differential oil in the angle drive. And I tried 100 percent Lucas Heavy Oil Stabilizer in the angle drive as well. I've tried all kinds of experiments with the belt except paint it a different color!

Finally, i have reduced the whine to a 1. That's on a scale of 1 to 100, 100 being the loudest, it is now a 1. Said another way, I have to listen very closely for a whine, and then have to convince myself that I hear something. Take any of these ideas that work for you, or call B.S. on all of it. I won't be offended. All I know is that this has worked for me.

Please let me know if you try some and your results. I would be curious.

1. Start out with a known good angle drive (not abused, worn out, bad bearings, leaking, cracked)

2. Warm up differential oil by going for a little ride, then let it drain completely.

3. Replace oil with a 50/50 mix of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer and Royal Purple 75W-140 differential oil

4. Check and adjust belt alignment. I know the book says to line it up towards the left side of the pulley. But, I've tried that, and tried lining it up on the right side, too, and have found that all is most quiet when lined up in the MIDDLE of the rear pulley.

5. Adjust the belt tension. Lift the SS rear wheel off the ground just enough to allow the rear tire to turn. Have no load in the Sling, brake off, in neutral, belt dry, and the belt temp NOT warm (like after riding). It would be best to do this step before your first ride of the day. Sam Owens on You Tube has a really good video of this procedure. Manually deflect the belt midway between the rear pulley and the drive gear at the angle drive. Place 10 pounds of tension to this point, (a gauge is recommended). I have found that the best deflection is 3/4 to slightly less than an inch with ten pounds. (This is NOT the spec from Polaris. Polaris wishes you to run a much tighter belt, but here's what I have found. That belt tightens up as you put load in the sling, and tightens further as you drive it and it gets warm. The fibers in the belt actually contract when warm (the exact opposite from what you would expect)). After riding a little, stop and check the belt. It will be nice and firmly tight.

6. Completely and thoroughly wash the belt with soap and warm water, getting every tooth on the belt, every tooth on the rear pulley and every tooth on the angle drive gear. Wash off thoroughly with water.

7. Let dry overnight or longer.

I did all these 7 things and my drive train noise was much improved. But it wasn't gone. Then I did the following controversial thing:

8. Again, with the rear wheel off the ground so you can turn it, spray a Dry Lube (I happened to use Liquid Wrench dry lube) along each side of the belt while turning the wheel. Don't spray the center, just the edges.

After step 8, THAT IS WHEN all remaining whine went away! I have put on almost 3 thousand miles since then, and everything is still quiet as a mouse. It's an absolute pleasure just hearing the engine drone, the sound of the tires on the road, and the wind swishing by my face.

If you try this, certainly know that you are doing it against some of the specs from Polaris and at your own risk and you may not get the same results as I did. But if you DO decide to try some of this, let me know your results.

BTW, I also tried dielectric grease on the sides of the belt. This worked, but it also attracted dust and dirt. The dry lube does not and so it is a better idea.

Dave

• Sure sounds like a lot of work.

Good tips.

Thanks for sharing.

Here's three methods that might help...

1. Don't be a namby-pamby. ;(

2. Purchase it by the single bottle and not by case.

Finish that bottle before making another purchase.

Don't share. :00000455:

3. Forget wine, drink bourbon. :00010166:

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• :thumbsup: Sure woulda been a lot less work!

98,000 miles and never had that problem after the Royal Purple, but then again I am not anal about every little thing. A little noise before it gets broke in is nothing to worry about. Did you buy it to ride or listen to.:thumbsup: I am Just being a smart ass I have never adjusted the belt or washed it or cleaned it or sprayed it with anything. I bought the SS to put miles on.

• I did all that mine was still loud, put a welter dual and still was loud, finally removed the baffles and for some odd reason the angle drive whines have disappeared completely..............WHAT YA SAYING?, SPEAK UP.....

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I have read on motorcycle forums about using a dry lube on the sides of the belt to reduce drive belt noise. Seems to work for many. At first on my sling it was really loud, enough that after the initial ride home I immediately did a search on Slingshot final drive noise. At 3000 miles it started to quiet down. After 6000 it was almost completely gone. I don't even think about it today and am fine riding without a stereo. For me, time and miles.