Do Hardcore Motorcyclists Hate or Look Down Upon the Slingshot for being called a Motorcycle?

• In the South, I've never had a problem anywhere I go. I would say that 80% of bikers are accepting of the concept of the sling. Needless to say, it's a warm reception everywhere you go with only the occasional sneer. For the 20% I like the saying, it's kinda like dating a stripper. They may talk bad behind your back, but secretly they wanna ride too!

Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing.
    Moderation is for cowards.

Seems the problem hasn't been guys on bikes but little guys in big trucks ...why have so many had problems with guys in jacked up trucks ..... its just weird ... confused-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• "Little guys in jacked up trucks" I can relate to that one! (I Got Rocked) Pretty much, everywhere we go, I have never met with any negativity about the SS. Lots of "looky-loos", and a bunch of questions. I like the attention and relish the time I get to spend talking about the SS. My take is, if you carry yourself as someone who enjoys his ride and likes to talk about it (not in a bragging sense), people tend to appreciate that. If you are a little standoffish and weirded out by the attention you are sure to get with the Slingshot, people are apt to take you as a snob and reciprocate your preceived attitude.
    All in all, different strokes for different folks. Be genuine and you will sure to be a hit wherever your travels happen to take you.
    Okay, enough of that. Time for me to head out to the local biker bar to start up some trouble!!!! Think about it...Black guy, Asian gal, Slingshot, and a Biker Bar!!! Oh what fun!!!! (Just kidding, of course)

• Time for me to head out to the local biker bar to start up some trouble!!!! Think about it...Black guy, Asian gal, Slingshot, and a Biker Bar!!! Oh what fun!!!! (Just kidding, of course)

Yup.. all in the way you carry yourself...........

........ tongue-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Yup.. all in the way you carry yourself...........

........ tongue-squared

Now THAT is my idea of a party!!! Not too subtle, but it gets your point across. Trust me, I won't be jumping up on anybody's bar tops anytime soon! But I can still drink with the best of them! "Bartender, a round of drinks for my new friends!!!" :thumbup:

• I have yet to get any Negative feedback, people seem to be Amazed by machine?. During our ride yesterday we got every positive sign I think a person can get and even got about 10-12 thumbs up from HD guys. People seem to yell a lot as they pass "Cool Car", Kids turn into the Exorcist whipping there heads 360 to look, (adults to) It's ALL GOOD

As for really caring about what a "HARDCORE" motorcyclist would think......Don't really care. Been there and done that for plenty of years. Had bikes that could put most of there's to shame. I don't need to get all decked out , put on a serious look & try to be a bad ass on the weekends. My buddies and I always rode & had a good time. Yeah I picked and chose who I waved to or gave thumbs up to (honestly gets annoying when every biker has to wave to every damn bike they pass) I just give a slight head bob or to a cool looking on coming bike a low point gesture.

Only guys I would even consider Hard Core would be Angels anyway....Rest of them are just weekend Warriors like "WILD HOGS"

Once weekends over back to there cubicle and shirt & tie-No offense anyone :00008084:

I have had a few buddies say, to bad we can't ride together anymore because of Sling, and I just say " Oh hold on..that's now coming from the guy with his knockoff HD who rode with me all the time, NOW is to cool all the sudden!! :00000014: " POSER!!

So in short who cares what anyone thinks...that's the trouble....Plain & Simple..The Sling is a lot different than a bike, so any "Biker" should care less. Slings don't effect them or take anything away-so whats the use even wasting breath on a topic like this or honestly caring? Riding is riding whether a bike, convertible, Sling, T-rex etc. Just get out, enjoy the day and clear your head :D .....Just get those DAMN mopeds off the roads!! :00000019:

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/

• I agree with the suggestion that it is all about your attitude. If you act like prey, you are prey. The easiest way to win over any biker is to give their ride an approving gaze and a compliment. Toss in a question to set them at ease, like "Nice paint! Is that custom or factory?" It works when someone asks you about your SS doesn't it?

For me, it's a bit easier. Being a Harley rider, I've accumulated a crap load of H-D tees and I'm often wearing one when I'm in the SS. Whenever anyone points at my shirt and asks if I ride a Harley too, I just say, "Not since I got my Slingshot." :D

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• Really got a lot out of all the comments. I am gonna plan on going and follow all the great advice. My only major problem is pumping gas here. I can't get out of a gas station without talking to quite a few people about it or letting them take pics. Sometimes you just want to gas up and go!

• Who cares? I hope the question is rhetorical. I really don't care what others think. I love my sling like family.

As for gas up and go, just gas up and go. Avoid eye contact, smile instead of reply, launch after replacing the fuel nozzle. Internalize that they are strangers you are likely to never ever see again. Internalize that the hot youngster is only amused, not wanting a piece of you.

• I am weirded out by all the attention the ss gets...but some time ago I decided, I need to be nice to everyone and try to answer their questions politely. What's funny to me is, I didn't buy the ss to be in some mythical tough guy motorcycle club, it just looked like fun as is.

• I have been around bikers (Harley) guys for 40 years. At one time long ago you had to be hardcore to ride a Harley cause it broke down on every other ride. When the Harley craze began as a result of the Evo motor ALL types of folks started buying them for a mid life crisis or trying to be perceived as a badass. IMHO I think that it doesn't matter what you ride as long as a passion for the wind in your face is what you are seeking. If somebody can't respect that THEY are not true bikers and likely just wannabes!! Slings have given a lot of us the opportunity to keep that wind in our face far past what we would have had on two wheels so if the don't respect that screw em....

I'LL SUE
    How's that for a badass biker :00000156:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I have been around bikers (Harley) guys for 40 years. At one time long ago you had to be hardcore to ride a Harley cause it broke down on every other ride. When the Harley craze began as a result of the Evo motor ALL types of folks started buying them for a mid life crisis or trying to be perceived as a badass. IMHO I think that it doesn't matter what you ride as long as a passion for the wind in your face is what you are seeking. If somebody can't respect that THEY are not true bikers and likely just wannabes!! Slings have given a lot of us the opportunity to keep that wind in our face far past what we would have had on two wheels so if the don't respect that screw em....

I'LL SUE
    How's that for a badass biker :00000156:

True words. My first Harley was an 84 low rider. Early EVO with an enclosed chain. Later 84s had the belt. Great bike. Road with the shovel heads, and just smiled all day long. Sportsters were 3,999, and you could trade up full money credit the first year.

Often you would see Harleys parked under an overpass in perfect weather. They were letting the engine cool down...

Anymore, you have to be a doctor or a lawyer to afford a dresser. And they don't put miles on. They just parade or go small grocery shopping.

My 2 wheel days are over. The sling brings it all back. Safely.

I love my sling.

• It is a car, you are fooling yourself if you think differently. I could care less what anyone calls it though. In the smokies som redneck in a truck yelled "GET A REAL MOTORCYCLE", so I guess he thought it was a fake one, I yelled "STOP FUCKING YOUR SISTER"