Is it worth it to save a few cents?

• This is very bad idea as America will have no idea what health protections will be adhered to in China and many people will think that everything was done in USA because of the USA label

Smithfield Farms, the largest pork producing farm in the USA was sold recently to China with the unanimous support of its stockholders!! The hogs will still be raised here, but slaughtered and packaged for sale there before being sent back here. This includes labels of Morrell, Eckrich, Krakus, Cudahy, Premium Hams, Cook's, Gwaltney, The same with many chickens. They can now be shipped there, but when they come back all that needs to be labeled is that they WERE RAISED IN THE USA. Not that they were processed in China!!! Our great FDA at work again. The chickens will be all processed and most sold to fast food restaurants for sandwiches, along with schools and supermarkets. The China slaughter and processing are not nearly equal to the requirements herei

*BAD FOOD:::

We recently learned that Starkist Tuna is now owned by Korea , and is in big conflict with the U. S. concerning quality, safety, and records, which Korea refuses to produce. Read several articles on Google about this, and even one that was defending the eating of tilapia said to avoid the fish that came from China Also,I had just returned home from buying Albertson's 4-day special of 4 bags of frozen tilapia for the price of one.? Sure enough, on the top of the bags, it read "farm raised", and on the bottom in small print it said, " China "read all the way down...

Recently a Food inspector on TV... said he had lived overseas and he had seen the filthy conditions their foods are raised and processed in. It is enough to make you throw up. Some foreign workers have to wear masks as they work in these places, because the food is so rotten and filthy, it makes them want to throw up. Many of their fish on Fish Farms are fed raw sewage daily. He said he has seen so much filth throughout their food growing and processing that he would "never" eat any of it. They raise this filth, put some food coloring and some flavorings on it, then they ship it to the USA & Canada for YOU to consume and feed to YOUR families. They have no Food & Safety Inspectors. They ship it to you to buy and poison your families and friends . Imported food we eat and the junk we buy: Green Giant frozen vegetables are from China, and so are most of Europe 's Best. Arctic Gardens are Okay. So is Birdseye. Never buy the grocery store garlic unless it is clearly marked from USA or Canada, the other stuff is grown in people poop (even worse than chicken droppings). China is the largest producer of garlic in the world; U. S. is next.

Buy only local honey *, much honey is shipped in huge containers from China and re-packed here. Cold-FX is grown and packed in China and is full of fecal bacteria. Doesn't work anyway, big scam. If the country of origin is not clearly marked beware. If produce, ask an employee. Watch out for packages which state "prepared for", "packed by" or "imported by". We don't understand the lack of mandatory labeling, especially the produce. The country of origin should be clearly shown on the item in the store.

Go to the local farmers' markets in season and keep a wary eye open the rest of the year.

Please read this very carefully, and read to the very bottom. It's important for all of us.

How is it possible to ship food from China cheaper than having it produced in the U. S. or Canada?

FOR EXAMPLE THE "OUR FAMILY" BRAND OF MANDARIN ORANGES SAYS RIGHT ON THE CAN 'FROM CHINA '. SO, FOR A FEW MORE CENTS, BUY THE LIBERTY BRAND.GOLD BRAND OR THE DOLE IS FROM CALIFORNIA.

Beware, Costco sells canned peaches and pears in a plastic jar that come from China. ALL "HIGH LINER" AND MOST OTHER FROZEN FISH PRODUCTS COME FROM CHINA OR INDONESIA . THE PACKAGE MAY SAY "PACIFIC SALMON" ON THE FRONT, BUT LOOK FOR THE SMALL PRINT. MOST OF THESE PRODUCTS COME FROM FISH FARMS IN THE ORIENT WHERE THERE ARE NO REGULATIONS ON WHAT IS FED TO THESE FISH.

Recently The Montreal Gazette had an article by the Canadian Government on how Chinese feed the fish: They suspend chicken wire crates over the fish ponds, and the fish feed on chicken droppings. If you search the internet about what the Chinese feed their fish, you'll be alarmed; e. g, growth hormones, expired anti-biotic from humans.? Never buy any type of fish or shellfish that comes from these countries: Vietnam, China, Philippines.

Check this out personally. Steinfeld's Pickles are made in India - just as bad! Another example is in canned mushrooms. No-Name brand came from Indonesia .

Also, check those little fruit cups. They used to be made in Canada in the Niagara region until about 2 years ago. They are now packaged in China. Most sold in Aldi stores.

While the Chinese export inferior and even toxic products, dangerous toys, and goods to be sold in North American markets, the media wrings its hands! Yet, 70% of North Americans believe that the trading privileges afforded to the Chinese should be suspended. Well, duh! Why do you need the government to suspend trading privileges?

SIMPLY DO IT YOURSELF, CANADA AND THE U. S.

Simply look on the bottom of every product you buy, and if it says 'Made in China ' or 'PRC' (and that now includes Hong Kong ), simply choose another product, or none at all. You will be amazed at how dependent you are on Chinese products, and you will be equally amazed at what you can do without.

THINK ABOUT THIS:

If 200 million North Americans refuse to buy just $20 each of Chinese goods, that's a billion dollar trade imbalance resolved in our favor...fast! The downside? Some Canadian/American businesses will feel a temporary pinch from having foreign stockpiles of inventory.

Just one month of trading losses will hit the Chinese for 8% of their North American exports. Then they will at least have to ask themselves if the benefits of their arrogance and lawlessness are worth it.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• this is a perfect example of why corporate greed must stop...

if I was Trump I’d be telling all the companies that do this.....you have a choice to make....bring everything back or we will fine you and or tax/tariff you out of business...you decide... 1 month.

especially after China told us they would stop sending antibiotics here and we would be swimming in an ocean of corona virus....

start calling congress to complain and make them stop it. Your kids depend on it.

I hope the stockholders feed this crap to their families...

• Great post! The last ten years of my career was involved in large scale food delivery on a continental and international level. Working between vendors, customers, auditors & field technicians. I have heard many times the issues you stated above. Loading livestock onto ships to be processed in China. Then the ships are loaded with the processed product on the return trip. Chicken cages placed above fish hatcheries allowing the fish to feed on the feces. Why? No regulation, cheaper costs, larger market share.

I stopped purchasing pork products from anything but known local companies years ago. China has been undercutting the United States for years. It doesn't stop there. China undercuts America on environmental levels. Same concept, no regulation, cheaper cost. Larger market share.

It bugs the heck out of me that politicians and the media totally turn there back on these issues! Yet point the finger and punish our own country! Why!

• these are probably the same companies that are pushing for limited labeling that would out their sickening business model.

Anything we ingest should not have sources, ingredients or country of origin hidden. We need total transparency.

My girlfriend almost puked reading that info....

The most upsetting part is we have no idea what China may have done to any of these food products...especially with the poison items discovered in recent years....

I don’t even eat in foreign restaurants in this country.....I certainly don’t want to be tricked into eating anything they’ve had their hands on...they have a lousy track record...and they hate us...what could go wrong..the things I’m imagining are down right scary...

they are saying the virus is airborne.....what if it’s food borne by injection..no close contact needed...

• A lawyer once told me that sending our dirtiest manufacturing and processing to places like China sheltered the local USA company from pollution concerns, bacterial concerns and performance concerns. Less chance they can be sued....

In some ways, like having “our” pollution go there is better than having it here.

But in the end we are held captive, like Apple, to events in a foreign country that may not have occurred here.

Personally, I try to buy nothing from China.

• I find it absolutely insane that we find it cheaper and preferable to ship anything grown/made here in the USA overseas for final processing and packaging. I can't believe that it makes an appreciable difference in the final sales price of that item and believe it makes economic sense to keep the processing and packaging jobs here in the USA.

• I find it absolutely insane that we find it cheaper and preferable to ship anything grown/made here in the USA overseas for final processing and packaging. I can't believe that it makes an appreciable difference in the final sales price of that item and believe it makes economic sense to keep the processing and packaging jobs here in the USA.

profits above everything. Chinese workers aren’t paying union dues.. companies don’t have to pay minimum wage, healthcare, vacation pay, sick days, 401ks ...no OSHA...no government involvement...no social security deductions... no FDA bribes..

• here is a reply to a major company looking for employees during the virus ....

they are offering more time off and bonuses ...

Below is 1 comment I copied from the comment section..

It’s funny how some corporations are hiring and increasing hourly wages. Why in a time of crisis you make it your priority to pay people when they were risking their lives before the pandemic? If you can afford pay increases now then you can afford it more than a month ago. But these CEOs need these people to sacrifice their lives for the sake of the company. It looks like they are trying to take care do their employees but it’s all about money. They don’t care as long as it’s not them on the frontline.

if they really wanted to attract and keep dedicated employees they should have ponied up to keep them from the beginning with higher wages and better bennies from the get go......looks like being cheap is coming around to bite them.....maybe these companies will learn that corporate greed isn’t really profitable in the end. They need the people in this country to fill the jobs, not from China.

Maybe they will understand the bottom line isn’t as important than taking care of their front line employees that are the people that really make them money.

my hope is this will wake up the owners/managers to bring back our much needed middle class. They need to share the wealth.

• It's not so much corporate greed as political corruption and and incompetence. Capitalism only works if everyone plays by the rules. China does not yet for some reason the US and Canada give them preferential treatment on trade.

• It's not so much corporate greed as political corruption and and incompetence. Capitalism only works if everyone plays by the rules. China does not yet for some reason the US and Canada give them preferential treatment on trade.

I disagree about the corporate greed part of this statement. It IS corporate greed to ship jobs and manufacturing overseas in order to increase the corporate bottom line. Government's main fault in this is pushing to increase trade by minimizing regulations considered as impediments to free trade w/o also pushing for true reciprocity.

I don't know if it is still a commonly held belief in Germany, but I remember seeing an interview years ago with the CEO of Siemens where he emphasized the company's responsibility to keep good jobs in Germany. Henry Ford was initially felt to be nuts for offering a relatively high wage to his employees, but his decision to ensure his employees earned enough to be able to afford the very products they made had an enormous impact of not just Ford, but the US economy. Shipping our jobs overseas will eventually turn the US into a food-importing nation. We may grow the food here, but somewhere along the line we may also lose control of how that food is processed and eventually may not be able to buy the food we originally grew.

corporate greed made companies lay off Americans and use China so they could save a nickel....

trumps new trade and tariffs deals are correcting this....China is praying for Biden to win since he’s in their back pocket already....

Four more years of trump and we will have a real middle-class again. Dems want no middle class they want a clear divide between rich and poor.....two classes.....isn’t that obvious with the two justice system....rich get out of jail, poor serve time...