What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• Thinking of getting my vette chrome wheels powder coated over the winter. Wonder if they have black chrome powder coating.

Black chrome powder is out there. It's generally a topcoat that is applied over a base. For instance, people will use a silver powder coat base, then lay the black chrome on top of that. They generally are not as "chromey" as an OEM black chrome. Hard to explain but its more of a glossy graphite from the results I've seen floating around. I'm sure companies like Prismatic or Tiger Drylac have samples with customer photos are their site if you do some googling.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Received my new rear tire today. A Lexani LX-Twenty 285/35ZR20. Looks great! The pictures are somewhat deceiving as to the width depending on the camera angle. Its about 2" total (1" each side) wider than the stock 255/35ZR20. I think it's just what I was looking for.

I took my new tire 285/35/ZR20 to get mounted today. I tried the local tire shop as I like to support local business. Just got a call back and was informed their machine can't handle the tire. They informed if it was the stock tire it would be OK? It's a 285 as opposed to a 255. I've heard of people going to a 305? Has anyone run into this? Can anyone suggest a national chain tire store. NTB, Meineke, Pep Boys? ...and are they OK mounting a customer purchased tire?

• I always taking to Sullivans tire. Probably not national. They never commented on the change. I asked last time if it was tough and they said " not with our new equipment ". Vip tires would not change my sling tires. Said they had to many problems with the oem rims.

Thanks, I checked and Sullivan tire stores are only in the New England States. I just called my local Slingshot dealer and although they haven't had a lot of people (at this point) needing rear tire changes they're fairly confident they can handle that tire. Gonna take it to the local SS dealer and check out the latest inventory at the same time.

• My ss dealer just takes it to the local tire store. They don't change tires at the dealer. I took my ss to tire warehouse and when I got home I discovered the next day one of the rear spokes was cracked all the way through. They would not stand behind it. I didn't give them allot of grief since I wanted to upgrade the rims anyway. Bought times and tires from Rev Dynamics. Very happy with the purchase.

• My ss dealer just takes it to the local tire store. They don't change tires at the dealer. I took my ss to tire warehouse and when I got home I discovered the next day one of the rear spokes was cracked all the way through. They would not stand behind it. I didn't give them allot of grief since I wanted to upgrade the rims anyway. Bought times and tires from Rev Dynamics. Very happy with the purchase.

Thanks, I just went into the garage to do a white light inspection just incase the local tire guy attempted to change and did some damage. All is good. I don't think he even touched the tire. The tire guy I took it to was a local independent shop. Most likely his equipment was somewhat behind the times.

• If I read the Spec sheet correctly for the LX-Twenty, the 285/35ZR20 tire calls for a 10J rim. Many tire shops may be reluctant to mount that tire if you have a stock 9x20 rear wheel. You can find the spec sheet here - https://lexanitires.com/tires/lx-twenty/.

Thanks, great info, nothing in any indicator I had checked went into that depth of detail. I had assumed (yes I know) that the only difference between a 255/35ZR20 and a 285/35ZR20 was 30 mm section width. As a standard across industry tolerance's

Example size: 225/45R17

The first three numbers in a typical size (225/45R17) are the tire's indicated section width in millimeters,

The second pair of numbers (225/45R17) is the tire's aspect ratio or profile. This percentage represents the ratio of the sidewall's section height to the tire's section width. The last number (225/45R17) is the diameter of the wheel in inches.

• Different manufacturers design their tires with different recommended wheel widths for any given tire size. Lexani seems to show the preferred wheel width w/o acknowledging any minimum or maximum wheel width. Nitto, for example, list a minimum, recommended and maximum width for each of their tire sizes for the Nitto 555 G2. Even if you find a tire shop willing to mount an out-of-spec tire/wheel combo, if you experience any problems with the tire, chances are most manufacturers will not honor a warranty if they feel the tire and wheel width are not within their designed parameters.

While you may find a tire shop that will install a given tire on a smaller or larger wheel width that the manufacturer intended, going to narrow or too wide, will affect tire performance and possibly stress the sidewall more than intended. If the wheel is too narrow or too wide, the risk of the tire coming off the wheel is increased.

I've used a couple wheels meant for Mustangs with Offsets as small as 28-35mm and haven't experienced any handling issues, although the smaller Offsets shift the wheel a little to the left compared to normal. Spacers can be used to reduce a wheel's larger Offset, but smaller Offsets will always shift the wheel to the left. http://www.willtheyfit.com allows you to enter different tire and wheel info and generate a visualization of how the tire/wheel will sit compared to a stock setup, but their speedometer impact calculations are not accurate s they tend to show smaller diameter tires with a higher speed even thought a smaller diameter will cover a shorter distance at a given rpm.

This site - https://www.blocklayer.com/tire-size-calculator.aspx, provides a more accurate calculation of the impact of tire size differences and speedometer impact, including a chart that shows the specific difference between tire sizes by 5 mph increments.

I've run a 305/30ZR18 Achilles tire on an aftermarket 18x10.5 CP32 wheel with 35mm Offset (see above) and have also used an American Muscle 10th Anniversary COBRA style 17x10.5" wheel with a Nitto 555G2 315/35ZR17 tire on my 2015 Base model Slingshot. The 17" tire is just a little taller than the stock 18" tire and is turning at 66 mph at an indicated 65 mph.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Again, great info! After some back & forth thinking and looking over many posts with many different reviews I decided to change and go with the Nitto 555 G2 265/35R20.

• You will not like the NITTO. The worst tire that I have run with the least amount of traction.

Copy, as you said I read statements saying about traction. Many loved them, Many hated them. One guy with a turbo sling "Yup im running that on the rear of one of my 750 whp cars and its never a problem to hook up! I've only put on about 4k miles on them so far. They are actually pretty good on wet conditions. I had the car at road america last year on a track day and it started to rain. I thought i was f'd but it surprised me how well they channel water." Another slingshot owner said he liked them so much he also put them on his hellcat and loves em. Other guys said things in line with your statement. Some of the other tires I looked at didn't come in the size range such as only offered as a 255 or 40-45 aspect ration. It was a tough call and I bounced back and fourth after reading hundreds (probably over a thousand or two) posts on both slingshot forums and ordering points (amazon etc.).

Feedback is appreciated. If it's really bad I'll smile to myself and think, Funcycle warned me & he was right!

Product description

Nitto NT555 G2 Radial Tire-265/35ZR20 99W

Customer reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars
    5 out of 5

12 global ratings

5 star  100%
    4 star 0% (0%) 0%
    3 star 0% (0%) 0%
    2 star 0% (0%) 0%
    1 star 0% (0%) 0%

How are ratings calculated?

• This chart, https://www.nittotire.com/car-…ra-high-performance-tire/ and select View Sizes and Specs and you'll see that Nitto approves the 555 G2 upto 275 width on a 9.0" wheel width. Assuming you have the stock 255/35R20 rear tire, a 265/35 tire will run a little faster at the same engine rpm since it's a little taller than the stock tire. A 275/30 is actually a little shorter while still offering a little more width than stock and will run a little under the indicated speed. This is where using the blocklayer site I referenced above will provide an accurate prediction of the impact of tire diameter on speedometer readings.

• Personally I think judging tires from what other people tell you can be very useful or it can be very misleading

Unless the person advising you drives in identical conditions with an identical vehicle and an identical driving style their results could be drastically different from what you will find.

Little things like temperature can make a huge difference in something like traction and a person like me who drives in an area with daytime temperatures as high as 120 and daytime lows that almost never drop much below the 70's is going to have a very different experience and needs than someone who lives and drives in an area where the temperatures rarely get above 100 and are often in the 40's or 50's or even colder - - - in fact many summer tires can actually become unsafe and brittle if the temperatures are that cold.

A link to Continental Tire article about not using summer tires in the cold - and a quote

Risk of damage due to cold temperatures

Even on dry roads without ice and snow, winter brings colder temperatures. Summer tires are not built for cold weather. The tire tread will stiffen. In addition to reducing traction, this poses a risk to the tire itself.

The tire loses its elasticity and may crack. There's a risk of chipping of the overly stiff thread block. Chipped and cracked tires are not safe to drive on and must be replaced.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• As a side note I would be curious to know if any of the members here who ride year round and live in colder climates actually switch between all season tires in the cooler months and summer tires when it heats up or do you just run all seasons year round?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Understood and agree. I spent a few hours last night and a solid six hours this morning reading all kinds of reviews from various locations, weathers locations etc. The only reference I have on a personal level using all the same conditions is on my current slingshot, the stock Kenda Radial SS-799. After doing some research indications point to the Kenda Kaiser Series as to the equivalent company tire sold outside the Polaris SS contract. While I don't know this as fact a few indications point in that direction. Basing it on the current tire that appears to be a summer tire vs the Nitto NT555 G2 265/35ZR/20 with a larger contact area, compatibility with the stock rim, and many good reviews along with some not so good reviews. Wish I could get the best of all worlds but many thanks for some real good advice from all. I also looked at reviews from independent sources outside of Kenda influence.

• As to traction I am NA and can break it loss at any time up to 3 gear.