What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• As a side note I would be curious to know if any of the members here who ride year round and live in colder climates actually switch between all season tires in the cooler months and summer tires when it heats up or do you just run all seasons year round?

Ok, so this describes me.

I ride all year if the temp is 40* and above.

As long as the roads are chemical free.

I've posted that I've ridden in every month in a calendar year 2 or 3 times since 2015.

To answer your question, no I do not change tires. However I do drive differently by going easy on the throttle.

Quick acceleration just makes the tires spin easier in the cold weather.

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• Im curious , is there anyone who changes their tires with the oem tires, now that i have my SLR wheels with the 305 in the back im happy, the tire hasnt failed while im out beating it up (Love the hell out of that DDM clutch) im sure after next season ill be getting new rubber , but i see from all the old, new & future post that ill have to make a choice like everyone else........so my question does anyone just replace their rubber with the same rubber thats on it or is it a name/brand thing......?

• Im curious , is there anyone who changes their tires with the oem tires, now that i have my SLR wheels with the 305 in the back im happy, the tire hasnt failed while im out beating it up (Love the hell out of that DDM clutch) im sure after next season ill be getting new rubber , but i see from all the old, new & future post that ill have to make a choice like everyone else........so my question does anyone just replace their rubber with the same rubber thats on it or is it a name/brand thing......?

everyone is looking for something better, traction wise {dry or wet}

• so then - all season tires?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I ride year round also but I never change my tires to all season. I stay with the HP ZR rated tires year round.

Riken Raptor ZR ultra HP

you can still switch - as you can see in the above link there are HP ZR rated all season tires - - being HP ZR is not exclusive to summer tires - - - Thank God!

• IMO the tire industry designator "all season" is geared toward the expectation of all weather to include snow/winter driving (knowing the federal gov. and things like CFR 21-101 their is a complex definition placed on the automotive industry that spider webs into something I don't want to get involved with) . The slingshot market is a tiny piece of the market and the terminology is marked towards the automotive customer. My truck has all season tires. I use those tires to drive in deep snow and I expect that as my wife and granddaughter on their cars. Years ago when I was growing up most people used different tires for summer and winter and actually swapped for the season. Today, although I live in a four season climate not one person changes tires for different seasons. I think the tire industry takes that into account for selling purposes as do the customers when considering a tire choice.

Absoulty, I would like to have an all season tire but to place a weighted value against the same standards placed on the automotive industry where the average customer using all season tires drives in snow for a good potion of the year? It would be interesting to see the input but it should be realized the industry/customer expectations and the weighted value aren't on quite the same level of expectation for the slingshot vs the average driver. A weighted value for my choice on the slingshot was what percentage of my driving is demanded for summer/winter/freezing/snow/rain/dry. I will/do ride in colder weather (hopefully no snow and very little freezing). The vast majority will be in warmer/dry weather and at times when needed in colder weather it is realized and driving is adjusted.

• Did you see the full reveal?

35 inch tires and a decent lift with the custom suspension. I have to say, it's the first off road style Sling I like!

Very different!

Didn't see the full review. I don't think I would buy one but it would be a lot of fun to go off roading! You buy and I'll go shotgun for sure!

I loved these as a kid and always wanted one. I've seen them used as off road adventure bikes and are road capable getting 150 MPG. I think it will for the most part pay for itself. On my radar as a local grocery/errand runner and even more!

• IMO the tire industry designator "all season" is geared toward the expectation of all weather to include snow/winter driving (knowing the federal gov. and things like CFR 21-101 their is a complex definition placed on the automotive industry that spider webs into something I don't want to get involved with) . The slingshot market is a tiny piece of the market and the terminology is marked towards the automotive customer. My truck has all season tires. I use those tires to drive in deep snow and I expect that as my wife and granddaughter on their cars. Years ago when I was growing up most people used different tires for summer and winter and actually swapped for the season. Today, although I live in a four season climate not one person changes tires for different seasons. I think the tire industry takes that into account for selling purposes as do the customers when considering a tire choice.

Absoulty, I would like to have an all season tire but to place a weighted value against the same standards placed on the automotive industry where the average customer using all season tires drives in snow for a good potion of the year? It would be interesting to see the input but it should be realized the industry/customer expectations and the weighted value aren't on quite the same level of expectation for the slingshot vs the average driver. A weighted value for my choice on the slingshot was what percentage of my driving is demanded for summer/winter/freezing/snow/rain/dry. I will/do ride in colder weather (hopefully no snow and very little freezing). The vast majority will be in warmer/dry weather and at times when needed in colder weather it is realized and driving is adjusted.

Frankie55 - I am not sure I agree completely with your analysis - yes all season tires are geared for every day all weather driving - but summer tires and winter tires are specialty tires that can actually become damaged if used in the wrong temperature range

As I said. from what I have read - "all season" tires are pretty much just your standard tires that come standard of virtually every car - the rubber compounds used can handle high temperatures as well as cold and they come in both regular styles for most normal vehicles and also in high performance and ultra high performance flavors for your cars like BMW's and Porsches and our Slingshots

On the other hand "Summer" tires and ""Winter" tires are specialty tires and the rubber compounds used in them are not good for large temperature ranges - really, look at the link I posted above - here it is again - Winter tires - Not Safe in Cold Temperatures - - go read that its straight from a tire manufacture and they very directly say that "Summer" tires are not safe in cold weather because the rubber will become hard and will crack and can even break apart - this is not something you can compensate for by slowing down or driving more carefully - its just a fact that the rubber compound is designed to be temperature sensitive and get softer and grippier in hot weather and as a result gets harder and brittle in cold weather that it was not designed for

I am not sure who it was here who posted it, but I remember a post they made about a friend who was running the Nitto 555 in very cold weather and the tire broke apart - - - - - after reading the above link this is not a surprise - "Summer" tires are hot weather high performance specialty tires with a single purpose - - and it is not cold weather

now the great thing is that all season tires dont have to be a compromise there are plenty of high and ultra high performance VR rated all season options available for those here who want to ride year round and live where there are actual seasons - - - even with our lack of seasons here and weather that stays pretty warm all year I am running NITTO Motivo Ultra High Performance all season tires on the front and a Nitto 555 g2 ultra high performance summer tire on the rear - i love the Motivo's in the front, they have held up very well and have great traction - - in the rear I didnt care for the motivo and switched to the 555 - the 555 has had better stick in our hot summer weather and seems about the same as the motivo did in the back when it in the 40's and 50's - - both the Motivo's and the 555 have been far better then the OEM Kenda's

when it comes time to replace the 555 G2 in the back I think next time I might give the Rinken Raptor ultra high performance all season a try next - assuming I can get the size I need - - - I have been told its very good tire

• Not the point I was making, way of the mark. I totally agree with everything you said. Just figuring in the weighed decision as to the amount of time spent in different conditions.

"Absoulty, I would like to have an all season tire but to place a weighted value against the same standards placed on the automotive industry where the average customer using all season tires drives in snow for a good potion of the year?"

• Not the point I was making, way of the mark. I totally agree with everything you said. Just figuring in the weighed decision as to the amount of time spent in different conditions.

"Absoulty, I would like to have an all season tire but to place a weighted value against the same standards placed on the automotive industry where the average customer using all season tires drives in snow for a good potion of the year?"

not so sure the average customer around here drives in snow ever 8o

As a side note though, I have read that temperatures below 40 can damage a summer tire to the point where it is unsafe - - pretty sure if you drive all year you could be spending a great deal of time with the tires exposed to that kind of weather regardless of snow or not

• Sorry brother!!

I'm on the stock Slingshot tires from 2015.

Just replaced the rear one with the same in June.

well I'm not sure what the stock factory Slingshot Kenda tire is - - do they use normal summer tire rubber compounds that they use in the Kenda Kiser tire that looks similar? I have no clue, but one thing I did find interesting when I still had the original Kendas is that on the side in small print it does say that they are for motorcycle use only - - - laughed my butt off the first time I saw that they had that stamped in the mold - - - seriously, if you are running the Slingshot Kendas go read your sidewall - - -

• Yes I am familiar with the Kaiser and I agree it looks like the same tire, but having said that it is possible the similarity is mostly cosmetic - clearly the Slingshot branded version has minor cosmetic differences, the Slingshot branding and the wording that it is only for use on a motorcycle are very minor cosmetically, but beyond that I have no clue if the rubber compounds used are the same or even close to the same - - - under the skin so to speak it could be a very different tire - - unfortunately if these differences do exist it seems to be something only Kenda and Polaris actually know