Oil expiration date...

• So if I buy nine tires and put two on each rim then I would not lose air?

LC

as long as the holes don’t line up....

way back in the late 80s ....they issued that warning to doctors doing invasive operations to wear 2-3 pairs of gloves because of the microscopic holes in them......the aids virus is only one micron in size...the average hole in the gloves was 5 microns......I’m sure condoms have the same size holes......so shouldn’t we have been told to wear more than one condom?

same reason to use nitrogen...slightly bigger molecules than oxygen...

• as long as the holes don’t line up....

way back in the late 80s ....they issued that warning to doctors doing invasive operations to wear 2-3 pairs of gloves because of the microscopic holes in them......the aids virus is only one micron in size...the average hole in the gloves was 5 microns......I’m sure condoms have the same size holes......so shouldn’t we have been told to wear more than one condom?

same reason to use nitrogen...slightly bigger molecules than oxygen...

true, but we don't put oxygen in our tires, we put air which is 78.02% nitrogen, and 20.95 oxygen and some other gases. In theory if I keep topping off my tires with air every time the oxygen in it seeps out wouldn't the percentage of nitrogen in the tire keep going up until I have almost as much nitrogen as I would get putting nitrogen in a new tire that is already full of air?

only way to get even close to all nitrogen is to fill and empty and then fill again over and over several times to purge out the air that was in the empty tire when you started - - do they do that when have them put in the nitrogen in a new tire or do they just fill it once? - - I have read that with the race cars that run nitrogen they do exactly this not only to get rid of the air, but even more to get rid of any moisture - moisture in a tire can cause huge changes in pressure from heat

just out of curiosity what about the argon and other gases in air? are their molecules larger or smaller than the nitrogen? :P

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Purging would be the best way.

Special valving to vent off trap air as nitrogen is introduced to the tire. Bet you won't see that happening as your tires are filled up with nitrogen.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I actually purge my tires a few times to get the air out and fill with nitrogen. I work at an air separation plant and we produce pure nitrogen and oxygen for industrial use. We store both as liquid and vaporize the liquid for our pipeline to feed the local oil refineries. Our utility air lines are on nitrogen as we cannot risk getting moisture into our manufacturing process. I would highly doubt the local tire shops purge their tires this way. The cost of nitrogen that they purchase is high compared to atmospheric air. And once it’s in your tires you probably wouldn’t know the difference unless you took an oxygen meter and let some air out to test it

• true, but we don't put oxygen in our tires, we put air which is 78.02% nitrogen, and 20.95 oxygen and some other gases. In theory if I keep topping off my tires with air every time the oxygen in it seeps out wouldn't the percentage of nitrogen in the tire keep going up until I have almost as much nitrogen as I would get putting nitrogen in a new tire that is already full of air?

only way to get even close to all nitrogen is to fill and empty and then fill again over and over several times to purge out the air that was in the empty tire when you started - - do they do that when have them put in the nitrogen in a new tire or do they just fill it once? - - I have read that with the race cars that run nitrogen they do exactly this not only to get rid of the air, but even more to get rid of any moisture - moisture in a tire can cause huge changes in pressure from heat

just out of curiosity what about the argon and other gases in air? are their molecules larger or smaller than the nitrogen? :P

don’t be getting all scientific

The military uses nitrogen in helicopter tires to keep them from going flat.

• don’t be getting all scientific

The military uses nitrogen in helicopter tires to keep them from going flat.

The airborne military uses nitrogen in all kinds of systems...

Not to prevent flats but to prevent moisture being introduced into systems that can go from 100°F to -35°F in minutes.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• The airborne military uses nitrogen in all kinds of systems...

Not to prevent flats but to prevent moisture being introduced into systems that can go from 100°F to -35°F in minutes.

I had a helicopter mechanic tell me they use nitrogen in the tires because of the air pressure changes when they go up in altitude.

same thing with the dirt on the brake pressure sensors....similar to the ones used in the slingshot that need changed. They made it part of their preflight routine to change them before every flight.