To Boost - or not to Boost

• Minimum recommended is 91 not 93.

in California 91 is premium - unless you go to a special station that sells what they call "racing fuel" you are not going to find anything higher

Standard California Gas grades:

Regular unleaded = 87 octane

Mid-grade unleaded = 89 octane

Premium - 91 octane

there are several other states where 91 is also the norm for premium and apparently in Alaska its only 90 - State standard octane ratings

check that link - I was surprised how many states other than California only go to 91 for their Premium grade. much more common than I had thought

Edit - - reading that link I was actually surprised to see that some states drop their regular down below 87 - not careful driving cross country and you could end up with only 85 octane running regular in Utah - =O

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited 2 times, last by Edward Neal ().

• In Jersey 91 is premium, 93 is super. As far as 91 or better, most offer both choices. Sometimes for a choice of premium or better some stations only offer 91 others only offer 93. If by chance a station is out of 91 or better and I have no choice or options to get to the next station, I carry octane booster.

• should we even answer this question?

• from what I understand ethanol has higher octane than gasoline and In a 10% ethanol gasoline that 10% of ethanol may boost the octane by 2 or three points. If my understanding is correct if the ethanol were removed from my 91 octane fuel the resulting ethanol free fuel would drop to 87 octane.

• Back in the day when NASCAR changed over to ethanol they forgot to change the volume of the gas tank. Before they changed over to ethanol the tires were the governing factor on pit stops. After going to ethanol they were not getting the same MPG and needed to go to larger fuel tanks. Larry Mac tried to cover it on one of the NASCAR shows, but no one wanted him talking about it and shut him down from telling the real story. Yes, Ethanol produced more power and ran cooler. BUT YOU DO NOT GET THE SAME MPG AS GASOLINE. The short story is that your everyday driver on Ethanol does not run as good and get's less gas mileage than the straight gasoline. If the government really wanted to do something about gas mileage they would never go to ethanol.

• Back in the day when NASCAR changed over to ethanol they forgot to change the volume of the gas tank. Before they changed over to ethanol the tires were the governing factor on pit stops. After going to ethanol they were not getting the same MPG and needed to go to larger fuel tanks. Larry Mac tried to cover it on one of the NASCAR shows, but no one wanted him talking about it and shut him down from telling the real story. Yes, Ethanol produced more power and ran cooler. BUT YOU DO NOT GET THE SAME MPG AS GASOLINE. The short story is that your everyday driver on Ethanol does not run as good and get's less gas mileage than the straight gasoline. If the government really wanted to do something about gas mileage they would never go to ethanol.

Even more to it.

https://www.organicconsumers.o…-actually-ethanol-cornell

• The author makes some decent points but to his last point about the extremes it would take if all cars ran on 100% ethanol don't hold weight really and he's pushing his own agenda. No cars run on 100% ethanol. They have to add additives to it or else people would likely drink it. The closest the general public can get is E98 (98% Ethanol). However, you'll never find that at any pump. It's just not cost effective because of how fast it burns. Which is in part why at the pump you can get as high as E85. In naturally aspirated applications, E85 does not make much of a difference. E85 will also burn 20%-40% faster than gasoline. (Closer to 20% in a NA application). It does make the engine respond a lot better and feel a lot peppier. Here in MI E85 is generally a minimum of $1.50/gal less expensive than gasoline. Even with it burning faster your cost over the course over the entire year will usually be a wash. In boosted applications, ethanol makes roughly 7%-10% more overall power than gasoline. It is also amazing at fighting KR. So for example, if your car makes 300whp on gasoline, doing nothing else other than switching to E85 fuel, which requires larger injectors and tuning for it, you can usually pick up another 30whp. The nice thing about FlexFuel vehicles is you can get the best of both worlds. If you run a 50/50 mix of gasoline and E85 you'll get about 70% of the gains of the E85 and retain about 80% of your fuel economy from the gasoline. We love E85 and E98 here at ZZP but its very easy to get here and almost every station has E85.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Driving out in Colorado was the first time I ever experienced 85 octane gas, pulled up to the gas station to fill up the rental HHR and the options were 85, 87 or 90. Filled it up with 85 and ran up Pikes Peak with it :) BTW- there are great doughnuts at the top of Pikes Peak, no sprinkles though.

Yeap, here are some typical values for energy density of different fuels.

87 octane gasoline - 125,000 BTU/gal

100% Ethanol - 84,600 BTU/gal

E85 - 88,258 BTU/gal

87 octane gasoline (with 10% Ethanol) - 120,900 BTU/gal

Diesel - 138,700 BTU/gal

Avgas 100LL - 120,200 BTU/gal

• so - - interesting thoughts on California and why the 10% ethanol in everything

I was reading that it takes more crude to make gas that is higher octane - - also that 10% ethanol ads 2 to 3 points to the octane of gas

By using the 10% in California they are actually producing 84 octane regular and 87 octane supreme and then bringing them up to 87 and 91 respectively by adding the ethanol

Doing it this way the oil companies can use less crude and still meet the octane requirements of most cars and also meet Californias oxygenation requirement.

I had read that the ethanol was not a CA requirement, but California does require that the fuel be oxygenated - by using 10% ethanol they not only meet this requirement, but because of its properties that increase octane they can also produce more fuel with less crude

As a side note just saw this - Saudi new stance on oil supply

I don't care if you are for the elimination of the use of oil or if you are against it - one thing I think is becoming very clear is that this country needs to be energy independent and until such time that other sources are built and fully functional we need to get back to being independent in our oil production - - - - only a fool would cut back on oil before the options are fully available from within this country

• After I installed my super charger I have used premium gasoline...I will...I dont care about the price...you ride it...and I Love it!!!

Always Remember...You can drive it like you want to drive it tomorrow! 8)

:HEADERSS::SUPERCHARGERSS::COILOVERSS::ROTORSS: