Thinking About Installing a Hood Vent - Have Questions

• carol & i realize that having a hood vent wood help to remove heat from engine and radiator, thus making the cabin cooler.
    Our main concern is water getting on/into top of engine -
    Is there a water/gutter system in these vents ?

thanking for reply's in advance ......... tom n carol

• Having done a lot of aircraft cowling modifications for improved cooling I'll put my 2 cents in. Unless the airflow exit outlets are less than the inlets you won't realize any cooling efficiency improvements. Being liquid cooled even makes it less significant. IMO, the upper vent will add to cabin heat as some of that warm outflow that would normally have gone elsewhere comes over or under the windscreen. The main advantage of the vent is looks. Inflow would be more helpful if it were an air scoop
    Just my opinion

• @MISTERZ06 Hi tom n carol........ Installed my hood vent when they first hit the market and to answer your question....No there is no water/gutter system with this vent..... being out here in SoCal keeps that from being an issue with us, they are open vents so guessing yes they would allow water in, as far as running any cooler with this vent.......... my wife nor myself have not noticed a difference although we sure like the looks of it.

Slingshot SL "KEEP OFF"
    BUILD DATE 12/14 VIN# 2235

2015 Slingshot SL
    2004 HD V-Rod
    2003 Dodge Ram Hemi
    1999 Corvette convertible

• Anyone know why Polaris put in this closed vent centerpiece to begin with? It almost looks as if they intended to have an open vent but made a last minute change by simply closing the vents but keeping the design. Perhaps they did testing and found either that rain was a problem on a hot engine or coil connections, or that the heat was a problem in the cockpit (particularly without a windshield). Perhaps their manufacturing was too far along to make major changes so they simply covered the vent holes. It has to be more than coincidental that Polaris went through all the trouble of manufacturing this pseudo vent in the middle of the hood right above the engine; would have been far easier to just make the hood one piece or to have a long raised bump in the center as opposed to this design.

• Anyone know why Polaris put in this closed vent centerpiece to begin with? It almost looks as if they intended to have an open vent but made a last minute change by simply closing the vents but keeping the design. Perhaps they did testing and found either that rain was a problem on a hot engine or coil connections, or that the heat was a problem in the cockpit (particularly without a windshield). Perhaps their manufacturing was too far along to make major changes so they simply covered the vent holes. It has to be more than coincidental that Polaris went through all the trouble of manufacturing this pseudo vent in the middle of the hood right above the engine; would have been far easier to just make the hood one piece or to have a long raised bump in the center as opposed to this design.

You're probably right, wouldn't be surprised that they were concerned about potential issues and were able to get a better look the way they did it. The full vent does look nice though.

• I would die for someone to build a nice big scoop to put right there.......

If the blades could be turned around they could almost function as a partial scoop that way. Either a NACA vent forward of it or a couple of small vortex generators would get air into it and since there's plenty of outflow exit air space below it would help with cooling.

• Anyone know why Polaris put in this closed vent centerpiece to begin with? It almost looks as if they intended to have an open vent but made a last minute change by simply closing the vents but keeping the design. Perhaps they did testing and found either that rain was a problem on a hot engine or coil connections, or that the heat was a problem in the cockpit (particularly without a windshield).

Back in 2014 the word one of the dealers who was involved with Slingshot design early on was just that, it was originally an actual vent but they closed it after testing ...... the exact reason I am holding off on this mod until well into summer ...given our heat and pop up storms....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• @MISTERZ06 Hi tom n carol........ Installed my hood vent when they first hit the market and to answer your question....No there is no water/gutter system with this vent..... being out here in SoCal keeps that from being an issue with us, they are open vents so guessing yes they would allow water in, as far as running any cooler with this vent.......... my wife nor myself have not noticed a difference although we sure like the looks of it.

Thank You for a Honest-Opinion
    ........................................... tom n carol

• Installed mine about 3 weeks ago. No picture, still learning how to do stuff... Bought more for the look. Don't know if it helps on engine heat or not, nothing to support that it does.
    It does look great and I am glad I installed. Caught in rain storm last week and no issues.
    I do lay the original vent, upside down, on the new vent when I wash the SS just to keep water and suds from getting into the engine compartment while giving a bath.

• Installed mine about 3 weeks ago. No picture, still learning how to do stuff... Bought more for the look. Don't know if it helps on engine heat or not, nothing to support that it does.
    It does look great and I am glad I installed. Caught in rain storm last week and no issues.
    I do lay the original vent, upside down, on the new vent when I wash the SS just to keep water and suds from getting into the engine compartment while giving a bath.

Ah; some direct evidence! Could you give us more details? How heavy a rain? You drove it during the rain? If driven during a heavy rain, then that would seem to answer the question as to whether the vents might cause a problem letting in too much water.

• Back in 2014 the word one of the dealers who was involved with Slingshot design early on was just that, it was originally an actual vent but they closed it after testing ...... the exact reason I am holding off on this mod until well into summer ...given our heat and pop up storms....

Interesting; any explanation as to why it was closed? Rain? If so, what is the hazard that rain induces?

• Interesting; any explanation as to why it was closed? Rain? If so, what is the hazard that rain induces?

I will go over there and attempt to find the original post .... may take a few days given the search feature efficiency .... wacky-squared

However I believe it was said to be because of heat being sucked into the cabin by the negative pressure behind the windshield ....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• My 2 cents... I found that opening up the hood vents prevented the glove box from turning into an oven once the Slingshot was parked... The "muffler" and engine remain hot for awhile after stopping -- and when the Slingshot is stationary, the hot air gets trapped under the hood and then makes it's way into the dash and glove box. I once made the mistake of putting my camera in the glove box when stopping at a restaurant. When I returned, I found that the glove box had heated the camera so damned hot you couldn't even hold onto it (yes, the heat killed the camera). After opening up the hood vents, the glove box contents barely get warm after stopping.

• My 2 cents... I found that opening up the hood vents prevented the glove box from turning into an oven once the Slingshot was parked... The "muffler" and engine remain hot for awhile after stopping -- and when the Slingshot is stationary, the hot air gets trapped under the hood and then makes it's way into the dash and glove box. I once made the mistake of putting my camera in the glove box when stopping at a restaurant. When I returned, I found that the glove box had heated the camera so damned hot you couldn't even hold onto it (yes, the heat killed the camera). After opening up the hood vents, the glove box contents barely get warm after stopping.

Interesting observation. It would seem likely then that the glove box would also get very hot in stopped or slow moving traffic. When you were moving, did you notice any heat coming from the vents, over the windshield and into the cockpit? Did you ever drive it or leave it parked outside during heavy rain?

• Moderate rain for approx 25/30 mi. Drove about 50 mph. Prior time in rain just a steady drizzle for about 15/20 mi. Have not had any real hot weather to drive in here, rather crappy, clouds, rain, and wind. So have not noticed any additional heat in cockpit so far. Air seems to rise above head as it hits windshield (stock). Have not had mine parked outside in a heavy rain... As Forrest would say "that's all I know about that".