• I bought an extra set of factory tires and rims... $500...I’m waiting for some short metal valve stems to arrive for mounting my FOBOs

My back tire is into the wear bars..dead at 7000 miles

I was in the rain the other day and I was kinda scared about making it home..

The water issue is lessened with two split tread tires on the rear...

• The water issue is lessened with two split tread tires on the rear...

Please share with us your documented evidence showing this, or where we can look this up ourselves?

Unless you are trying to tell us that two tires on the rear is better for traction than just one, that we can agree, this holds true for any tire design, but then this also means if this is a concern for you then you purchased the wrong vehicle?

Bill

• If a split tread design is so wonderful for single rear wheel drive vehicles...show me the list of motorcycle tire manufactures that have them....

I’ll wait....

motorcycles corner in a totally different way, they lean into turns and put the full weight on the side edges of the tire - the Slingshot does not do this so talking about what is good or is not good on a traditional motorcycle is not relevant to this conversation.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread when I started it you can see that like you with no experience I argued in favor of a symmetric tire for the rear, said the exact same kind of things you are saying - seriously, go back to the first few posts and read what I said

now things have changed - I have run in the rain and through wet intersections with the stock Kenda on the rear, and I have run in the rain and through those same wet intersections with the Nitto motivo on the rear and from my actual driving experience with both tires I can tell you unequivocally the wet traction with the Motivo is night and day superior - I don't know the science behind why it is better or if it has to do with being asymmetric or not and I don't really care, all I know is that when I go around a corner in the rain it does not lose traction nearly as easily as my Kenda did. This is not something you can argue with. It is my real world experience having used both

when you have actually tried different types of tires please shoot me a PM and we can restart this conversation.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• when you have actually tried different types of tires please shoot me a PM and we can restart this conversation.

And/or , if I may add, Bigdog, after you have done some real research and return with actual, rather than anecdotal, evidence that symmetrical tires are superior to asymmetrical tires........

..........otherwise,

Whatcha think, edwardneal, have we beaten this topic enuff?

Bill

• And/or , if I may add, Bigdog, after you have done some real research and return with actual, rather than anecdotal, evidence that symmetrical tires are superior to asymmetrical tires........
    ..........otherwise,

Whatcha think, edwardneal, have we beaten this topic enuff?

Bill

:D

• Not to start anymore of whatever we want to call this but.....Has anybody looked into running runflat tires since we do not carry a spare tire. I can guarantee you that those sidewalls are the stiffest you can find!!

SSreaper

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• If you are going to compare tires....let’s talk about the compound of the tires...one might grip way better than another because the compound is softer. Nothing to do with split tread or not...Kenda could be a harder compound. I know Eagle GTs are made soft to grip the road...they wear out really fast because of the softness...

That said I need a new rear tire now at 7000 miles...I have to assume the Kenda tire must be pretty soft...I was expecting a few more miles out of it..than what I got...

Please share with us your documented evidence showing this, or where we can look this up ourselves?
    Unless you are trying to tell us that two tires on the rear is better for traction than just one, that we can agree, this holds true for any tire design, but then this also means if this is a concern for you then you purchased the wrong vehicle?

Bill

I’m talking about having two rear tires on the back...twice as much grip..

• Not to start anymore of whatever we want to call this but.....Has anybody looked into running runflat tires since we do not carry a spare tire. I can guarantee you that those sidewalls are the stiffest you can find!!

SSreaper

If I understand correctly there are two types of these tires, self-sealing and self-supporting, where I believe that it is recommended for the latter to also have a pressure monitoring system installed...............

Bill

• If I understand correctly there are two types of these tires, self-sealing and self-supporting, where I believe that it is recommended for the latter to also have a pressure monitoring system installed...............
    Bill

Self sealing is not considered a run flat....they are made with a liner made of a gooey (crap) for lack of a better term that when a tire is punctured and the object is removed the GOO with seal the puncture. I hate them and in really hot weather the Goo will melt and cause all kinds of balancing problems.

A runflat is exactly what the name implies...you can run the tire for continued operation even after a loss of some or all inflation pressure for up to 50 miles (80 km) at a maximum speed up to 50 mph (80 km/h.)until you can make it to a repair facility and PURCHASE a new tire.

Corvettes...porche...BMW...mercedes have vehicles that come it these tires as standard equipt because the vehicle does not have a spare. Didnt know if anybody ever considered it for the slingshot.

SSreaper

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• Like I said above my comparison comes strictly from having driven with both under the same conditions on my slingshot - why the Motivo is better is not important to me - the only thing that matters is that I have better traction and I like it

As to the softness of the Kenda I think you are correct. Like yours mine was needing to be replaced around 7000 miles although I made due with it until just under 10,000. One of the things I like about the Motivo is when used on a car they warranty it for 60,000 - I dont expect even close to that on my sling, but I do think it will do better than the Kendas.

If I were you I would look at the Nitto NT555 G2 from what I here from others here it is much better than the Kendas and it does meet your preference for a symmetric summer tire

As a side note I dont think Kenda tires are very good tires. In my search for information they dont seem to be very highly regarded

• If I were you I would look at the Nitto NT555 G2 from what I here from others here it is much better than the Kendas and it does meet your preference for a symmetric summer tire

Thats the tires I went with when mine got destroyed to vandalism. :cursing:

I havent driven on them yet but I should be getting the sling back in 2 weeks and then Ill let you know how I like them! :thumbsup:

SSreaper

• Self sealing is not considered a run flat....they are made with a liner made of a gooey (crap) for lack of a better term that when a tire is punctured and the object is removed the GOO with seal the puncture. I hate them and in really hot weather the Goo will melt and cause all kinds of balancing problems.
    A runflat is exactly what the name implies...you can run the tire for continued operation even after a loss of some or all inflation pressure for up to 50 miles (80 km) at a maximum speed up to 50 mph (80 km/h.)until you can make it to a repair facility and PURCHASE a new tire.

Corvettes...porche...BMW...mercedes have vehicles that come it these tires as standard equipt because the vehicle does not have a spare. Didnt know if anybody ever considered it for the slingshot.

SSreaper

I looked briefly at the idea of a run flat, but what I found seemed to imply that it would cost much more and most likely would not be repairable if it did get punctured so that was enough for me to drop the idea from consideration

• Self sealing is not considered a run flat....they are made with a liner made of a gooey (crap) for lack of a better term that when a tire is punctured and the object is removed the GOO with seal the puncture. I hate them and in really hot weather the Goo will melt and cause all kinds of balancing problems.

SSreaper

Yep, Self-Supporting tires, which I believe require a tire pressure monitoring system associated with them, (cost?)

Bill

• Yep, Self-Supporting tires, which I believe require a tire pressure monitoring system associated with them?
    Bill

yes - I have heard pressure monitoring is needed because its hard to tell of they are low on air without it

of course that can be done with the slingshot - they sell one that uses the phone and pressure sensors on the valve stems that should work

• I looked briefly at the idea of a run flat, but what I found seemed to imply that it would cost much more and most likely would not be repairable if it did get punctured so that was enough for me to drop the idea from consideration

Run Flat tires CAN be repaired...this is a quote from Michelin...

Michelin states a run-flat can be repaired if a puncture occurs in the crown area, but cannot be fixed if the sidewall is ruptured or punctured. If it can be repaired, a tire technician may then follow standard radial repair procedures using commercial products and maintain its run-flat qualities.

We repair run flat tires at least 3-4 times a week without problems. The do cost more but I was thinking for the ability to not be stranded may be worth it.

SSreaper

• Yes but in this day and age with repair stations at almost every street corner...a person would not have to travel 50 miles to get to a repair facility or home. Once you made it home...the tire could be removed and taken to a repair shop to be fixed. Once the tire is taken off the wheel an inspection is done to the inside liner to ensure no damage and if none the repair is made.

Just a thought....I do know some people do live out in no mans land....I wish I was one of them...LOL

SSREAPER

• seems like the few times I have actually had a tire go flat when driving it was not repairable. I have picked up nails and such that caused slow leaks but they never left me stranded and could be driven to the shop to be fixed