School Shootings

• Then there's this.

Florida school shooting: Security footage was on 26-minute delay - CNN

Based on what the Sheriff said, it seems pretty clear that this badged and armed officer failed atrociously in his duties.

I am open to a lot of different aspects of the discussion of how to keep our kids safe, and even the gun rights issue.

However, I have absolutely zero give on this topic. If you are badged and armed, under oath to protect and serve, your duty in this situation is to become the hunter. You have a blood oath to fulfill. Your moral obligation is absolute.

This deputy failed spectacularly and unacceptably. I hope he carries that with him the rest of his life, through the retirement he was eligible for. Disgraceful.

• I think I just found a way to stop all of this. Let's make 21 the "OFFICIAL AGE" #1 you cannot buy a gun #2 you cannot buy alcohol #3 you cannot serve in the military until you reach 21 years of age :thumbsup:

I know some pretty shitty 21+ year olds.

I like better the premise that from 18 to 21 (minimum) everyone owes some kind of service. Military, fire, EMS, medical training, Peace Corps, something. THEN we can talk about who does what at what age.

But, if 21 is the magic age, that should include voting.

• Based on the average maturity level of our millennials, I’m more in favor of age 25 (for voting, alcohol & firearms). Agree with @KayTwo wholeheartedly on owing some kind of service!

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• So... Ummm... Not to be the bloodthirsty social media coordinator of the group but... Can we go nuclear yet? And I'm pretty sure @ericastar76 has some media contacts that would LOVE this story.......

Are you talking about @Slingrazor 's story? Yeah, we haven't heard anything today.... TRREEEENNNNNNT!

• Then there's this.

Florida school shooting: Security footage was on 26-minute delay - CNN

Based on what the Sheriff said, it seems pretty clear that this badged and armed officer failed atrociously in his duties.

Another dagger in the hearts of the students, teachers, and parents.

Too many process failures before and during this entire event.

• I'm all for mandatory military service. The kids aren't learning responsibility at home for the most part. I do have to say that no matter what side of the argument you are on, I do love the fact that this seems to be getting the "young people" into giving a crap and fighting for a cause. I just hate when you hear from someone that they don't vote as they couldn't care less. Crappy attitude if you ask me.

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• I’m with @KayTwo - police are the same as military personnel when it comes protecting the public. I had no idea that this guy had any retirement - I saw where he had resigned - makes ya wonder how many officers all over the US may react the same way facing a high power rifle shooting as fast as it can. I gotta believe that it would have to be a minuscule percentage but ya really never can tell until that moment is there and you have to make that decision. I guess this guy will be labeled a coward but when that “fight or flight” reflex kicks in who knows???

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Yes with one huge request. NO one attacks our police department. They do an awesome job. Police departnents usually do not investigate these type of crimes if it is under $10,000. They have been proactive and keep us informed. There hands are tied.

Just say the word and I’ll drop that chain

:00008172:

• I’m with @KayTwo - police are the same as military personnel when it comes protecting the public. I had no idea that this guy had any retirement - I saw where he had resigned - makes ya wonder how many officers all over the US may react the same way facing a high power rifle shooting as fast as it can. I gotta believe that it would have to be a minuscule percentage but ya really never can tell until that moment is there and you have to make that decision. I guess this guy will be labeled a coward but when that “fight or flight” reflex kicks in who knows???

In his 20+ years wearing a badge (probably 25+ to be eligible for retirement), he should have received enough training to have either trained the "flight" response out of him, or identified that it was there and could not be changed, in which case he should have found another career path, like insurance sales.

Again, for the cheap seats: if you wear a badge, if you wear a gun, if you took a fucking oath, there is only one correct response to this scenario, and that is action. You run to the sound of the gunfire. You have an ethical and moral obligation to fight in defense of those who cannot fight this evil in this instance. And yes, to the point of death. Otherwise, turn in your gun before you hurt yourself, and step aside.

To have made a career out of the way of the badge, and then to fail to act, is a mockery and sacrilege of that badge. When I was a kid, I used to worry sometimes that my dad wouldnt come home, maybe. But I would rather that, than this legacy.

• Something else here also. Everyone is talking about how qualified our law enforcement is with firearms. Well I hope here in Georgetown that this is the exception. Our law enforcement qualifies once a year with 50 rounds of ammo, they barely know how to use a hand gun. I have stood on the range and watched this myself. Out of the three groups (25 head ea.) 1/2 of them could barely hit the target. I was eating breakfast this morning with about 15 of them. I am not putting them down for what they do for us. Budget cuts , so there is no range time for them.

• In my eyes it is desertion in the face of the enemy. He should face the same charge as given to the military. His retirement should be denied and he should face a criminal hearing.
    From the misses on the FBI, Sheriff Department, Child Protective Services, Parents, to the Resourse Officer. If 1 person would have carried out the duties entrusted to them, the chain would have been broken. With the exception of the parents, we paid their salary. They all should be held accountable.

• @KayTwo, I personally agree with you 100%. A moral & ethical response & in order to fulfill your oath - most certainly! Legally, though, we have a problem.

Unfortunately, our nations’ courts disagree that the police have any obligation to protect anyone. There are two major cases that come to mind:

The Town of Castlerock vs. Gonzalez
    (The court ruled that a municipality cannot be sued for failure to enforce a restraining order.)

Warren vs. District of Columbia
    (The court ruled that police do not have a specific duty to provide police services to individual citizens.)

There are other cases too.

This is a sad state of affairs & is exactly why we have to be responsible for own protection. Own & know how to use a firearm!

A couple of links to look at...

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-tr…-duty-to-protect-citizens

http://disinfo.com/2010/03/the…obligated-to-protect-you/

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Well said counselor