No brake lights

• I was wiring today and. Well. Somehow my brake lights stopped working. All the fuses are good. Haven't checked the breakers or relays. That said reading the labels nothing actually says it's for brake lights. Sometimes the e flashers don't come on now. If you play around a little they start working.

• Thanks guys, now the reason I need this is to cover my a$$ for the wiring mods I've done...not saying the mechanical switch won't void the warranty...but they certainly might screw up my wiring mods looking for the problem...and then decide I voided my warranty... So if I can keep them out of my wiring I'll be better off..just fixing it myself.

• I just installed the "NAPA" conversion on a friend of mines Sling. We had just completed installing a Wicked hitch, and I made the trailer harness for it. We were checking the harness pigtail to double check that I had done it right, and lo and behold, the brake lights stayed on. Who knows how long it's been doing that, but I figured I'd make it right. I did mine a couple of years ago, so it was a piece of cake this time around.

• My brake lights don't come on. I was working on new lights trying to hook them to come on with the brake lights and did a lot of brake pedal pushing during my testing. Maybe I wore it out.

Catastrophic brake switch failure.

• There really isn't anything to wear out. It's a magnetic switch. The end of the brake pedal looks like a blade. That blade moves in a slot at the brake switch,which triggers the brake lights to be either on or off. When the pedal is at rest the blade causes the circuit to be complete. Stepping on the brake pedal breaks the circuit, causing the brakes yo light up. The is a slotted portion of the switch that the hold down screw passes through, maybe all you would have to do is loosen the screw and slide the whole switch forward (towards the radiator). I don't really remember if there is a long enough slot there or not, but worth looking into. In my opinion, your best bet would be to get rid of the oem switch and replace it with the Napa one.

• This is where it gets weird With the factory switch installed the running lights work. If you trigger the switch nothing happens with the brake lights. With a new mechanical switch installed the brake lights are on and when you trigger the switch the brake lights go out. And you see Running lights . Switched the wires red to black same results. They are working backwards

• This is where it gets weird With the factory switch installed the running lights work. If you trigger the switch nothing happens with the brake lights. With a new mechanical switch installed the brake lights are on and when you trigger the switch the brake lights go out. And you see Running lights . Switched the wires red to black same results. They are working backwards

Do a search and reach out specifically to others who have worked on accessories triggered by the brake lights ....

From memory (and we all know how that goes) remember it being mentioned you cannot hook anything to the brake lights themselves...only the center fin light...and even then I believe it was suggested to use it only as a trigger for a relay ...

Seem to remember the taillights having their voltage stepped down, or being on a negative trigger, or anything hooked to them freaking out the Can Bus or sumt'n like that .... could be mistaken .....

Oh ...

And I gotta be me so you win the .......

......... wink-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Thanks it's going right on my mantle

So the can bus. What is that and can it be fixed or is it a catastrophic boo boo

And yes I was trying to wire to the brake lights. I can see my warranty flying out the window now

• Not sure what you mean, but you can use the wire from the brake light to trigger a relay for an accessory. That's how it's done on the trailer harness. Not a big deal, unless you already fried something. On the relay, pins 30 and 85 are hot, pin 86 would go to your brake light and pin 87 would go to power your acessory.