Conservative Politics & Daily Events Discussion

• @mikepasling This is one I think I can debate a bit. As a centrist, who leans left, I will not be voting for Trump (probably not HRC either-in spite of what many here will say I DO think ALOT about who I vote for and why-and do research) but my own personal experience leads me to believe that the 2nd Amendment fear is a bit unfounded.

I have many friends and acquaintances who are middle-left, and we do talk a lot of politics. There is a constant theme though, that they all agree with. Like it or not, America has a gun culture. We needed them for our independence, and we have never let them go. So be it. Most of the people I know on the left actually agree with that. Yes, ban assault weapons (unless you have a permit), but as for the rest of it, stricter bans or meddling with the amendment is a waste of energy. Here is the logic we used in our discussions.

We can see some basic reasons for gun ownership:

• Hunting-Needs a hunting rifle, not an AK/AR/M-Whatever
    • Home protection-Shotguns FAR better than assault weapons-you wont kill your neighbor through the walls
    • Protect us from the government if they “come for you”

One and two are self explanatory. And most of the people I know have no problem with that. Let people own their guns. It makes them feel safer, and the majority of Americans WILL take personal responsibility for its use.

#3 is the silly one.

If the US government “Comes for you", having an assault weapon will give you one form of protection. You can die playing Rambo instead of hiding. IF they want to kill you, some guy in Nevada is gonna push a button on a console, the drone will hit it’s target, and then he will take another bite of his ham sandwich. The Iraqis had plenty of assault rifles…didn’t work out too well for them. No, if the government turns on us, it really is over.If you think this really could happen-best to bail now. Personally, I can't see it.

Why do I have this faith? Easy. I am from Colorado. We have legal weed here. Why? One reason-revenue. No matter who is in office, money runs the show, and the gun industry in America is just too big for any government to handle. Far better to latch on to the teat and take the tax revenue from gun sales. Then-use the gun control issue to divert the attention of the populace while we spend that tax money on things they don't want you to know about. Get them afriad that the government will take thier guns, and they just might miss things like ransom payments.....

That being said, there are many other things to fear from a Dem in office. I don’t need to list them for you. But, at least in my opinion, one of the things the right doesn’t have to worry about from the left is over-reaching gun control. There are too many other ways to move their agenda forward that are a LOT easier.

Just my $0.002-Not looking for a fight. I only have a 12 gauge anyway….you assault rife guys would take me apart from 300 yards.

• I just got in from target shooting, a hobby I have enjoyed almost 60 years (except in SE Asia). When I read some of the comments about "the Dems taking our guns" I think to myself-Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore, we're in Slackjaw Nation! Some folks need to set down their pitchforks long enough to reline their hats with tinfoil.

• @'Ghostwheel- I appreciate the polite discussion, those are few and far between on both sides of the discussion. I will say that I fully disagree with your assertions on several levels, but this forum is not the best place to argue the finer points. Perhaps over a beer at an event some day.

@Andy Hatch - I never said they were coming to get your (or my) guns. But they very much have the ability to limit what guns you can buy, how much ammunition you can have, and severely restrict those people who are allowed to have them. If you start those restrictions through the use of the Supreme Court, there is a slippery slope for the loss of out 2A rights. You can take that however you wish.

• I need whatever I can get my hands on which includes any AR or AK to do whatever is necessary to keep this Republic free from a tyrannical government!
    If anyone thinks the justices can't be impregnated with a majority that will not follow the constitution there's no hope for you!
    Millions of good men and women gave the ultimate sacrifice to defend the constitution and our Great Country! I will still do the same if it comes time.

• Not going to get in the political battle as it never goes well for me
    But on the gun thing here are my thoughts and actions
    Yes they are and will continue to chip away at our right to bear arms - seems the method will be by first limiting or making semi- autos and large magazines illegal
    All my new acquisitions are old style lever actions long guns.

Just my way of prepping for the upcoming events.
    You just need to stay ahead of them. "quietly"

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• All valid points. Only one thing for me to add. As a centrist, I would support an assault weapons ban. But anything else (including that misguided thing my own state did with magazine sizes) would lead me to put a check in the "vote for someone else next time" column (which I did). It is not an issue I am passionate about...until I start seeing what I would define as over-reach. And restricting access to rifles, handguns and other items...is over reach.

• Yes, ban assault weapons (unless you have a permit)

ummm, there is no such thing as "assault weapons". I have multiple AR's, AK's, IWI's, Kriss. NONE of them has ever "assaulted" me or anyone else. Nor have I ever grabbed one and went out hunting for some one to "assault" with them.
    The problem is not the gun, the problem is the gun holder. I can hunt with them, recreational shoot with them, or just go out with the guys and have a hell of a lot of fun blowing shit up for entertainment or stress relief.
    If i remember right, someone used a truck to kill a "mass" of people. Why did the people not immediately call for an immediate ban on trucks? Because they have other uses besides killing people, as do guns.
    Having a gun can save your life. Having a gun can save someone elses life. Having a gun can save your familys life.
    4 Family Members, Dog Stabbed During Violent Suburban Home Invasion | NBC Chicago A gun saved this familys life.
    There are 1,000's of these stories out there, but i have NEVER read a story where a gun got up, loaded itself(why was it EVER unloaded in the first place?), went out and murdered someone.
    Trust me, if someone EVER enters my home uninvited, they will get ASSAULTED, but the weapon i use might not be an "assault weapon", but they GONNA get assaulted none the less.
    So take your "assault weapon" ban and shove it unless you can honestly, 100% truthfully PROVE that "assault weapons" can not be used for anything else OTHER than assaulting someone else, like a knife, baseball bat, car, truck, or heaven forbid a POLARIS SLINGSHOT.

If the US government “Comes for you", having an assault weapon will give you one form of protection. You can die playing Rambo instead of hiding. IF they want to kill you, some guy in Nevada is gonna push a button on a console, the drone will hit it’s target, and then he will take another bite of his ham sandwich. The Iraqis had plenty of assault rifles…didn’t work out too well for them. No, if the government turns on us, it really is over.If you think this really could happen-best to bail now. Personally, I can't see it.

The US Government CAN NOT LEGALLY use a military armed drone to strike a US citizen within the borders of the USA. And if they ever do, we the people will NEED our guns.
    The US Military CAN NOT LEGALLY be deployed inside the borders of the USA to "quell" the people of the USA, so your Iraqi people comment is useless.
    Think about it, the majority of the military is made up of conservatives that do not have a problem with guns and have sworn an oath to uphold the constitution and protect the citizens of the USA. The constitution says we can own firearms to protect OURSELF from the tyranny of an over oppressive government. WHO THE HELL do you think the military members will side with if the government decides to oppress the people?
    I can see it now, Obama says "I declare martial law, i want all our military members to go out and kill american citizens". The military members will disregard that UNLAWFUL order, the military members will take control of the US bases. The STATES National Guard, controlled by the individual STATES will rise up to protect their states citizens, which they have sworn an oath to do, and then MILLIONS of AMERICANS will stand beside our military personnel to defend our country against our government, WITH OUR "ASSAULT WEAPONS".
    Who do you think will win in this scenario?

I am not worried for one damn minute that our own military would EVER take up arms against their own people, friends and family as well as their current or past compatriots.
    The IDIOTS in Washington can have my guns, when they come to take them they will be empty and laying beside me, barrel still smoking hot.

• The weeks following the Pulse night club shootings in Orlando some of the "News" reporters were calling the firearms the perpetrator used "weapons of mass destruction" ? REALLY !!! In my opinion they should have their mouths banned for butchering the English language. Is there no accountability for biased reporters embellishing ? :00008862:

• Hehe. I knew I would get a few replies for that little essay with all of the conservatives in this room. However, a big thank you to all respondents for being passionate, yet polite. Even Alln5450 who had a lot of passionate things to say didn't attack me personally (stupid lib, ignorant leftists...whatever). So thanks for keeping it civil.

• Oh...and one other item. Any of you making the long haul and going to Slingshots in the Rockies? I will be leading two rides. Would love to forget politics and ride...that's why I have the thing...to zen out and go away. Will I be meeting any of you? I promise not to talk smack :) I am sure I would regret it if I did anyway :)

Told y'all to look for some more "lost" e-mail to be leaked this week ..... hmmm pay to play much Hillary ....

This is going to get interesting ..... the GOP hierarchy separating itself from Trump and Hillary got some more 'splain'n to do ..

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Regardless of all the heavy hardware I own the most "dangerous" weapon In my collection and the first I will grab as I head out the door (other than my daily carry) is a Kidd 10/22 built for me by the man himself ...

It is relatively lightweight .....small .... can be fitted with a 100+ round drum magazine .. I can carry a few thousand rounds and not break a sweat .... I can pop dimes at 100 yards ... if I run subsonics I can squirrel hunt in my backyard and not even alarm my neighbors (without a suppressor) ..... ballistics testing is all but useless if I collect my brass .....

So yeah ...... they have absolutely no idea other than what they see in movies ..... confused-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• A joke, but belongs here to!

> "Walking
    > Eagle"
    >
    > Hillary
    > Clinton was recently invited to speak in front of a major
    > gathering of the American Indian Nation in upstate
    > New York . She spoke for nearly an hour about
    > her plans for increasing every Native American's
    > standard of living.
    >
    >
    > She
    > talked about her
    > experience as a U.S. Senator and how she had voted for every
    > Native American
    > issue that came to the floor of the Senate. Despite Hillary
    > being vague about
    > the details of her plans, she seemed enthusiastic and spoke
    > eloquently about
    > her ideas for helping her "red sisters and
    > brothers".
    >
    > At
    > the end of her
    > speech, the Tribes presented Hillary with a plaque inscribed
    > with her new
    > Indian name, "Walking Eagle."

> Honored
    > and happy with how
    > everything went, Hillary then left to go to a fund raiser,
    > smiling and waving
    > to the crowd from her motorcade.
    >
    >
    > A
    > news reporter later
    > asked the group of chiefs how they came to choose the new
    > name they had given
    > to Mrs. Clinton.

>
    > They
    > explained that
    > "Walking Eagle" is the name given to an old bird
    > so full of shit it
    > can no longer fly.

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/

• Oh...and one other item.

I understand what your saying about "assault weapons" but your wrong, a shot gun can do more damage than any AK or AR rifle. I know for a fact, a shot gun round can go through a car door and out the other side. A rifle round can, but must be placed in the correct spot. I stop vehicles on a daily basis with all types of weapons in them. It's the people that don't deal with them, "guns", on a regular basis that freak out. Why have motorcycles that have 1400cc's or a car with a v8. Guarantee, more people died today in cars or on bikes then guns.

• drove down driveway & yup my Trump sign was gone. So were all my neighbors. There was a town cop sitting in the lot of pool Center near my house. I pulled in & said when I catch the looser Obama/ Hillary person trespassing on my property & stealing my signs im gunna pound the crap outta them. He said " I know your frustrated, but call us instead of pounding them". He said they get complaints every day on same issue. Some looser/ losers are driving around @ night stealing them. Well, jokes on them cause now I'm making one out of wood saying " you looser Obama / Hillary voters step on my property again I will beat your sorry ass! Go Trump!"

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/

Edited once, last by BONES ().

• I pulled in & said when I catch the loser Obama/ Hillary person trespassing on my property & stealing my signs I'm gonna pound the crap outta them!!

OH BOY!! SOMEBODY'S POKIN' THE BEAR IN CLINTON!!!!!!!! THAT'S NOT GONNA END WELL!!!
    TRUST ME FOLKS, JAY'S NOT A GUY YOU WANT TO PISS OFF!!!!!!! THIS COULD GET FUGLY!!!

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555: