Rear Pulley Removal

Jack the rear up to where you can take pressure off the shock, remove the bottom shock mount bolt, jack it up a little further and the belt slips right off.

Reverse to reinstall...no adjustment necessary.

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Thanks for the quick replies. I'll try it without removing the axle.

Stephen

Pretty sure after the nut is removed you will need to tap the axle in until the pulley comes off the axle spline. The axle doesn't need to be taken completely out. The old loctite should be cleaned off the axle spline and pulley hole before replaced. New green loctite needs to be added at that time too.

• Something to be aware of when removing the pulley. My axle had the double nut modification done with green lock tight put on the spline and axle threads. To remove the pulley from the spline I had to use a 7 ton pulley while heating the spline area.
    When I reinstalled the pulley I only used the green lock tight on the axle thread . Has not move in 3000 miles.

• Pretty sure after the nut is removed you will need to tap the axle in until the pulley comes off the axle spline. The axle doesn't need to be taken completely out. The old loctite should be cleaned off the axle spline and pulley hole before replaced. New green loctite needs to be added at that time too.

Without knowing who might see this or the readers experience it is worth noting with the axle nut removed the rear brake caliper is capturing the axle so don't go "tapping" on the axle unless you have removed the rear wheel, caliper, and rotor ......

• Something to be aware of when removing the pulley. My axle had the double nut modification done with green lock tight put on the spline and axle threads. To remove the pulley from the spline I had to use a 7 ton pulley while heating the spline area.
    When I reinstalled the pulley I only used the green lock tight on the axle thread . Has not move in 3000 miles.

Mine was jacked up from the factory with so much bonding agent on the whole assembly it took a torch ....

• Without knowing who might see this or the readers experience it is worth noting with the axle nut removed the rear brake caliper is capturing the axle so don't go "tapping" on the axle unless you have removed the rear wheel, caliper, and rotor ......

I knew the axle was held in by the caliper holding the rotor, but good to make a note for other readers down the road. I was wanting to remove the pulley while the sling was sitting on all 3 tires without jacking it up was the main point of this thread, and it looks like i might be able to do that. I guess I'll find out this weekend.

Thanks all,
    Stephen

• Just out of curiosity, are you doing the grease zerk?

I wasn't going to yet. I have another pulley to install so I was just going to do that originally. Now that I'm seeing the zerk thread, I might wait until after bike week here to do the whole job.

Stephen

• That is correct. Bike week is going on strong here so I didn't want to screw anything up and not have my ride so I am waiting until next week to start this project. I'm picking up the bearing today from the dealer. Then I should be ready to go.

Stephen