Helmet Law in Tennesse

• I have been looking at that top since you can remove it easily. How do you like it and do you recommend it?
    I also said a roof is not going to protect me. He said he only enforces the law doesn't write it.

I take my time taking it off so not to scratch anything. It takes about 5 minutes, 10 if you also guzzle coffee. I did talk to @Ruptured Duck (Patrick) at Maggie Valley when I got it installed. At 6'4", the front of the top was just a bit low for me. We talked about how it could easily be changed by extending the bracket about an inch. I'm not sure what come with the top or if those are available. Patrick had some made up for testing, and I got one of the first sets to try. It made the difference for me, and no downsides that I have seen. I know several others that are running the tall bracket and are happy with it also. I would check with him if that sounds like something you might want or need. I suggest you get the assist shock also, it really makes it easier to have the top up while getting in or out.

Things I like:
    1) Ease of removal and replace
    2) Looks of the top
    3) Protects from the rain somewhat (50-60% less I'd guess)
    4) Ease of entry and exit compared to most of the others (until you get into the high end ones that gull wing or tip up like the Slingshade)
    5) Very easy to remove top and leave front bars on overnight at motel and take top into the room. This allows the use of a standard size cockpit cover, which most tops don't allow.
    6) Heat removal. On a 95 degree day it feels 20 degrees cooler with the top. Stock windshield directs air up into the top on the inside, a blows the heat out the back.
    7) Cost of entry. Cheapest top out there, but well thought out and I've had no problems with mine.

Things I don't like:
    1) Having a top. It's just personal preference, my wife and I don't really like having any top on the Slingshot. We have ridden Harleys for 30 years. So this top, with it's ease of install and removal (also easily stored) and low entry point to purchase, was the best choice by far. We put it on to travel if the weather looks to be iffy, and if it gets hotter like around 90.

• Regarding helmets and Tennessee, I also got stopped about a month ago and told about the helmet requirement. I contacted the Safety Department and the answer I received was . . .

The excerpt from the email I received back is shown below. The remainder of the response presented information from the 2017 Slingshot owners manual with respect to the use of helmets. The bottom line is, as it stands today in Tennessee, according to the state, helmet use is as stated below. In fairness, the person who answered my email (Kyle) admitted that questions from the owners group do exist. His answer just addresses my email and clarification of the existing law.

"You are correct about the Department’s interpretation of “fully enclosed.” Fully enclosed auto-cycle means that the driver and passenger are complete surround by the vehicle. Much in the same way individuals are surrounded in non-convertible automobiles. As indicated in the picture, it is our interpretation of state law that fully enclosed does include a roof, sides, and not simply roll bars. The decision to allow individuals to operate an auto-cycle without a helmet was a law passed by the legislature and only applied to auto-cycles that are fully enclosed."

I received this information from . . .

Kyle Turner| Staff Attorney

Commissioner Purkey’s Office

Tennessee Tower, 25th Floor

312 Rosa L. Parks Avenue, Nashville, TN 37243

p. 615-251-5123 c. 615-393-4491

Kyle.Turner@tn.gov

tn.gov/safety

Per the trooper who stopped me, the top shown below is what they consider as fully enclosed.

• @Goats_Hogs Thank you for the review of the top. We are the same way, not really wanting a roof, but it does have its needs. Very helpful!